Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic expectations for 2017
There's been a lot of turnover this offseason on our roster. As a result, this has many of us scrambling, flip-flopping, and kicking the imaginary tires on the potential for this upcoming season.

I've seen fan predictions go from 4-12 back in March to 11-5 after day 2 of the draft. There has been plenty of overreaction, albeit some of understandable, especially being guilty of it myself. In light of all of this craziness amongst the fan base this offseason, I'm finding it difficult to view next season in realistic terms.

Talent wise, we are probably somewhere in between the 2015 and 2016 roster. Key additions via the draft improved the pass rush and offensive playmaking potential tremendously, but even more crucial O-line losses put us in a deep worrisome spot, exposing an already glaring weakness.

The Steelers only look to be improved, both offensively and defensively. The Ravens lost some weapons offensively, but improved as much on defense as we did on offense. The Browns will still struggle, but they are most likely on the up and up.

Where do we realistically stand in light of all of this? And trying to leave emotion out of it, how will we fare against our division rivals?
Reply/Quote
There's been tons of simulations of all teams and most have us at 8 wins. So I say 9-7 with a wild card birth.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll go with 10-6 and Playoff Birth.
Steelers will crap out with a couple of critical injuries and we will win the division.
Reply/Quote
I'll wait to see the first games. I was deceived by last season.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
I refuse to buy completely in to the pre-season hype. I'm going to wait and see how the O-line shakes out before I get very excited.

Having said that, I think we have most all of the other pieces to be a competitive team. We'll just have to wait and see.
Reply/Quote
In the division, I could see this team going 5-1, just as easily as I could see them going 3-3. Overall, I could see them winning as many as 11, or as few as 7. It's all going to come down to how well the OL can get their shit together. As far as I'm concerned, the defense is going to be stellar, they should be able to keep the offense within striking distance in any game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Honestly we heard rumors of Ogbuehi's struggles during the Vikings practices in pre season. That's when I'll make my predictions when we see how other teams do against us in competitive settings (so not preseason games haha).
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2017, 08:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I refuse to buy completely in to the pre-season hype. I'm going to wait and see how the O-line shakes out before I get very excited.

Having said that, I think we have most all of the other pieces to be a competitive team. We'll just have to wait and see.

Definitely THIS.
Reply/Quote
I'm expecting this team to win between 10 12 games this year
The subtractions of Maualuga and Nugent can't be understated
The return of Green and Eifert is major major major
Getting WJ3 and Billings on the field only helps the depth
This team with all the injuries last year still went 9 rds with the Steelers
Oh yeah the offense got faster with Ross and Mixon on top of everything else
Reply/Quote
Ideally...to be in the hunt for one of the two wildcards.

Realistically...Probably 8-8 I guess. Just hard to say right now as I see too many possible holes in the team for them to be a serious contender for the playoffs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I feel it could go either way at this point. We could win 9, 10, maybe 11 games. Or we could suck.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Realistically, as I've said all-along, it all depends on our line play. If the line even plays decent, then we have a shot at 11 wins (hoping high), and, if they suck, we could be looking at a 5 win season.

I think we'll go somewhere in the middle at 9-7, but we could EASILY be better.

I think a big part of that relies on Mixon and how we use him, but Hill taking Gio's reps in the slot gives me hope because that means Mixon will get the majority of the carries, which will open everything else up.

I said middle with 9 wins, but I just changed to 10.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say 10 wins. We're getting an infusion of a lot of young talent, but it will take some to gel. However, our weak SoS will keep us in the playoff hunt.
Reply/Quote
I predict we'll play at least 16 games...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
As most have already said, it depends on the O line. I doubt Ogbuehi will be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, and I don't believe Fisher and Og can stay healthy enough for continuity. Everything else looks pretty good. I will say 6-10. Can't do it without the big uglies.
Reply/Quote
15-1 and a Super bowl against us!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2017, 07:14 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I'll wait to see the first games. I was deceived by last season.

I am hopeful, but the Oline wasn't great last year. And we just lost our two best Olinemen. Will the unit as a whole step up, or will AJ McCarron start more games than Andy because the line couldn't protect Andy? We'll see how this pans out. ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I can't predict this year. On paper we seem to have improved in outside speed and in RB speed and we appear to have added youth and speed to defense.

But I've seen it all before and we really won't know anything until a few games into the season.

With Mike Brown as owner I don't see any real shot at a Super Bowl. It'll take the next generation of the Brown family to pull that off, if they do.

With Marv at the helm I can probably predict almost every line he's going to say this coming year and none of them are very inspiring or confidence giving.

There's a lot to be upbeat about. We appeared to be a kicker away from a few more wins last year, but that's really only speculation since it was the team that made the kicker and other player decisions. The team and coaches were perfectly willing to let Nugent and Ogbuehi go out there stink it up game after game. Not the best message to send to the rest of your team or fans. Who's 2017's Ogbuehi? Will it be Ogbuehi again or someone else? How many players are going to handed a starting job when they'd barely be a backup on another team? Hopefully none, but Mike Brown is the owner and who the hell knows what goes through that guys head.

Reply/Quote
8 to 10 wins would be a good season for me.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I am predicting 11-5 and an AFC North Title.

This team has finally addressed what I have been calling the biggest need ever since Chris Henry's death. I believe the offense will be significantly upgraded versus a year ago. The offensive line is worrisome, but I have faith that in year 3, and finally with a healthy offseason of work, that Ogbuehi and Fisher will prove their worth.

The defense similarly addressed the biggest need on their side of the ball...not once (Willis) but twice (Lawson). I am also very excited for having 16 games with a motivated, in-shape, Burfict. Depth of talent at DT and LB will allow for the rotation that has been lacking in recent years.

Special teams improves as much as offense or defense with an infusion of youth and speed, as well as a new kicker.

From a coaching standpoint, we have guys like Zampese in his second year in the OC role, and Coyle in his second year since his return. Guys like Shawn Williams now in his second year as the starter will also be better in year two. Shawn had a rough start to his season a year ago, but a lot of it makes sense with an out-of-shape Jones and no Burfict for the first several games. He improved as the season wore on and will be solid in year two.

As much as I hated to see Whitworth leave, I am excited to see a roster without guys that simply don't have it any more (Peko, Dansby, Maualuga) and more youth and strength. Love what Vigil showed at the end of last year, and I can't wait to see Billings and Minter on the field.

Saying 11-5 isn't being a homer, or showing no respect to other AFC North teams. I honestly believe this is the best roster assembled in a long, long time and they have stability in the coaching ranks. This season will come down to two guys: Dalton and Burfict. I believe Dalton showed his mettle last season and will be salivating at the prospect of playing with the new weapons at his disposal, and Burfict is simply the best player we have on defense and is the unquestioned leader.

Those two guys will lead the way to 11-5.
Reply/Quote