Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic expectations for 2017
(06-05-2017, 08:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I refuse to buy completely in to the pre-season hype. I'm going to wait and see how the O-line shakes out before I get very excited.

Having said that, I think we have most all of the other pieces to be a competitive team. We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree just have to wait and see on that o-line.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 08:33 PM)magikod Wrote: I agree just have to wait and see on that o-line.

Yep, and I'm a little hesitant to think it'll be better by "addition by subtraction" since we were preaching that regarding so many aspects of our team going into 2016 and it blew up in our faces.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For those who say we have seen this before (hype in off season after the draft), I agree, but disagree too. The Bengals have never drafted this much speed in 1 draft. I am curious to see how the speed added to the power this team already had will play out. It is more than Ross and both Willis and Lawson and Mixon have great speed.
The OL is a huge question mark as is the kicking game as we may be playing a rookie kicker. But, I think Mixon could be the X factor to go along with Jackson, Billings and a host of rookies and 2nd year guys. But it may be the the 3rd year guys at OT that decide our fate in 2017.

I am optimistic and predict 10-6. Burfict and Green play at least 15 games each leading us to a great year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 10:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those who say we have seen this before (hype in off season after the draft), I agree, but disagree too. The Bengals have never drafted this much speed in 1 draft. I am curious to see how the speed added to the power this team already had will play out. It is more than Ross and both Willis and Lawson and Mixon have great speed.
The OL is a huge question mark as is the kicking game as we may be playing a rookie kicker. But, I think Mixon could be the X factor to go along with Jackson, Billings and a host of rookies and 2nd year guys. But it may be the the 3rd year guys at OT that decide our fate in 2017.

I am optimistic and predict 10-6. Burfict and Green play at least 15 games each leading us to a great year.

Good post, and I hope you're dead on!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the O line will be mediocre, having some good games and some bad. I think the 2 tackles will be better than expected, but that it will take several games for the line to gell and start playing at a decent caliber.

That said, I think one thing has to happen...John Ross needs to have a highlight reel long TD within the first 3 games. If he does, it will scare other teams into accounting for him and taking pressure off AJ. That will not only open p the passing game, but the running game for Hill and Mixon by default. I think Gio takes about half the season to get back to his normal self after rehabbing his injury.

I think 10-6 is a real possibility...but 9-7 is more likely.
Reply/Quote
I want to see how Gilberry, Johnson, Harrison, and Lawson look in preseason. If three out of those 4 Play well this season then our defense has a chance to be special and can carry this team to a Superbowl victory if not then our d will just be good and we will be in the 8-8 range. I don't have much hope in the offense but they do have enough weapons to win with if defense plays great.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 12:49 AM)J24 Wrote: I want to see how Gilberry, Johnson, Harrison, and Lawson look in preseason. If three out of those 4 Play well this season then our defense has a chance to be special and can carry this team to a Superbowl victory if not then our d will just be good and we will be in the 8-8 range. I don't have much hope in the offense but they do have enough weapons to win with if defense plays great.

I agree I hope only 3 pan out and James Harrison flames out while Willis plays well giving us 4 for 4.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 12:49 AM)J24 Wrote: I want to see how Gilberry, Johnson, Harrison, and Lawson look in preseason. If three out of those 4 Play well this season then our defense has a chance to be special and can carry this team to a Superbowl victory if not then our d will just be good and we will be in the 8-8 range. I don't have much hope in the offense but they do have enough weapons to win with if defense plays great.

Who is Harrison?  Do you mean Hardison?  I hope he surprised this season.  I worry about anyone that has been out of football for essentially two years, but this is really his last shot.  

I think on defense this season comes down to the new edge rushing potential of Willis and Lawson, the health of Burfict, the addition of Billings, the development of Vigil and FA Minter, and Shawn Williams in year 2 of his starting role.  Oh, and WJIII taking the starting role from Adam Jones.  

That is a lot of different positions.  I sense a thread...something to narrow down what we feel is most important in each position group or side of the ball?  I will give it a shot...
Reply/Quote
I'll play the glass half empty /half full role here.. 16-0 and one and done.. We'll be known as the greatest regular season team ever to never win a playoff game. 
Just once it would be nice to be known as the worst regular season team ever to win the super bowl..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think we will be better than lastyear. We were in some close games and a made fg would have won it for us. Getting back our weapons and hopefully playing together will be worth a few wins.
Mixon to me is the key. If he is as advertised he alone will take pressure off the o-line by making the defenses play honest and keep 8 out out of the box.

Someone mentioned Malaluga, did he sign with someone yet?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2017, 08:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I refuse to buy completely in to the pre-season hype. I'm going to wait and see how the O-line shakes out before I get very excited.

Having said that, I think we have most all of the other pieces to be a competitive team. We'll just have to wait and see.

This ^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 10:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those who say we have seen this before (hype in off season after the draft), I agree, but disagree too. The Bengals have never drafted this much speed in 1 draft. I am curious to see how the speed added to the power this team already had will play out. It is more than Ross and both Willis and Lawson and Mixon have great speed.

I think the question marks on the OL are a little overdramatized when compared to the overall strength of the roster.  Yes, we got worse on the OL on paper, but we got better at RB, WR, DL, LB, CB, and K on paper.  

Last year, we had several key injuries, a horrible K, and lost several close games.  This year, we have an easier schedule and effectively 4-6 1st round caliber talents added to the roster(WJ3, Billings, Ross, Mixon, arguably Willis, arguably Lawson).  That's a lot of high end talent thrown in the mix.
Reply/Quote
The big question in my mind is: Can we run the ball effectively? Even when we had good offensive lines we couldn't.

We have the individual talent with Mixon, Gio, and Hill...it's just a matter of doing it.

I think health is always an unknown going into a season too. IF we can stay relatively healthy...we can win 10-11 games.
Reply/Quote