Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really Need the Free Agents to Pay Off
(06-16-2020, 10:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Another thing to consider with Waynes contract is that we now have a QB who is playing on a rookie deal, which allows tremendous flexibility as far as spending.

I'm not saying this is a reason to go out and just spend recklessly.  But it does allow us to be more agressive and take more risks on some of the shorter contracts we offer.  There's teams out there paying 30+ million for the position.  Hell, even Ryan Tannenhill is making just shy of 30 mil and I wouldn't even put anywhere close to the top 10 QB's.

With Burrow making under 10 mil for the next 4 years, now is the time for us to be proactive.  If we overypay, within reason, to add pieces that better this roster then it's not the end of the world.  That's the benefit and the beauty of the new CBA.  

We had/have money to spend, so why not spend it?  We basically swapped a 27 year old Waynes for a decling and aging Dre Kirkpatrick for an extra 3 mil per season.  I'm not going to lose sleep over 3 mil cap space if it means making this team as good as we can.

Good point. A lot of successful teams are the ones who have QB's on rookie deals.

Plus I'm happy with our signings we needed to get a lot better at tackling and that is exactly what we did.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Over paying some is ok to me.

We need to establish "we want to win now!" Coming out of the front office. Something that many former players will tell you that they feel the FO didn't do enough of, they never felt that true sense or urgency to win coming from the top.

Defensive players tend to have a much more immediate impact than offensive ones. So I would expect a good defense this, and an even better one in the 2nd year. Same with offense, we will improve, but 2nd year we should really see that turn around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 09:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: His play on the field was great.  His off-field issues, not so much. 

He had a few issues but I do not think he got convicted of anything while on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Lets not forget the great free agent signings of AJ Hawk , Karlos Dansby, Kevin Minter and Preston Brown.   They gave us that linebacker boost we were missing.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote