Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really Unbelievable and Funny Superbowl Story (Paul Brown Related)
(01-08-2021, 08:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Teams like Denver stopped them in 80s for a period.. Steelers stopped them in 70s etc..the point is..sexism was there in 70/80s..cheerleaders were looked down on...  you have to take that into account.. so where the Broncos cheap when they stopped them ?  How about Steelers ?

As a group, they had to go to Court for fair wages over this last decade..    Find a better comparison is my point..

You're arguing against yourself. The point was, Paul Brown didn't want to pay to have the cheerleaders shipped to city X. 

You brought up sexism. If you can't see how it's just an example of cutting corners (paying out money) and how it's a way Mike Brown followed his fathers foot steps...i don't think anyone can help you. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Who remembers when WLW used to refer to Paul Brown as the "Aging Tight-Fisted Patriarch of the Cincinnati Bengals!" back in the 8o's?

There's no problem being frugal if your competent, and for the most part, Paul Brown was competent. Marge Schott was a cheapskate too, she didn't want to pay Eric Davis's airfare after he was injured in game 4 of the 1990 World Series. Marge Schott was a competent owner also. She was smart enough to hire people to run the franchise for her and it got her a World Series Championship.
Reply/Quote
I got a laugh out of it. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree for sure. Petty move no matter how you slice it, regardless of the social norms during the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 03:27 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Who remembers when WLW used to refer to Paul Brown as the "Aging Tight-Fisted Patriarch of the Cincinnati Bengals!" back in the 8o's?

There's no problem being frugal if your competent, and for the most part, Paul Brown was competent. Marge Schott was a cheapskate too, she didn't want to pay Eric Davis's airfare after he was injured in game 4 of the 1990 World Series. Marge Schott was a competent owner also. She was smart enough to hire people to run the franchise for her and it got her a World Series Championship.

You mean this? lol

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 05:36 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: We should have had a marching band, for culture's sake, not that Mike would have sprung for it.

The Redskins and later the Ravens have had one.

Imagine a marching band that played Bengals Growl, transitioning into Welcome to the Jungle, into Jungle Boogie, into Run Through the Jungle, into Eye of the Tiger, into Jungle Love and finishing with the old 80's tradition of bringing out a Cincy Zoo Tiger cub at half field.

That's the pomp and circumstance that has been missing since the Dollar General has been in charge.
I remember when they had  a Bengal Tiger at the home games. We used to get a lot more calls go our way back then. Hmmmm
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 06:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You mean this? lol

Yep...When Gary Burbank did the "All My Bengals" Skit. Good find! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 06:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You mean this? lol

Boy, does that bring back the memories.  Thanks for posting.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote