Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really want to visit Texas
I even have had dreams about being in Texas. I think it would be a sweet place to visit. Any of you guys ever been there? I think going to Austin, San Antonio, Tyler and El Paso would be fun. I have flown over Texas but never been there, I could see some city lights from the plane though. When have you guys been there and any cool things you have seen there?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 02:07 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I even have had dreams about being in Texas. I think it would be a sweet place to visit. Any of you guys ever been there? I think going to Austin, San Antonio, Tyler and El Paso would be fun. I have flown over Texas but never been there, I could see some city lights from the plane though. When have you guys been there and any cool things you have seen there?

It not all cut out to what the movies make it. Texas is very hot and humid. Many people are lazy pricks with bad attitudes who think they are kings of the world. I've been all over Texas and wasn't impressed. However, the cowboys are fun to follow. Everything else? Meh!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've always wanted to visit Odessa Texas.  I have no idea why.  Out in the middle no where.  Literally.

That and Austin.  The live music scene in Austin, I've heard is 2nd to none.  Plus, Bob Wills is still the king and you have to have a fiddle in the band to play in Texas.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 02:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It not all cut out to what the movies make it. Texas is very hot and humid. Many people are lazy pricks with bad attitudes who think they are kings of the world. I've been all over Texas and wasn't impressed. However, the cowboys are fun to follow. Everything else? Meh!

Good lord you're completely off.  I live in Houston, and the people here are lovely.  Generally friendly, helpful, concerned even about strangers.

Dallas and the Cowboys are the two worst things about Texas.  i worry about you Harley.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 05:40 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I've always wanted to visit Odessa Texas.  I have no idea why.  Out in the middle no where.  Literally.

That and Austin.  The live music scene in Austin, I've heard is 2nd to none.  Plus, Bob Wills is still the king and you have to have a fiddle in the band to play in Texas.

I lived in Midland for 18 months, which is the sister city to Odessa.  You're right.  There's nothing out there but desert and mud storms (thunder dust storms - literally rains mud).

People love or hate Austin.  It's an OK city.  I prefer San Antonio.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 05:40 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I've always wanted to visit Odessa Texas.  I have no idea why.  Out in the middle no where.  Literally.

If you do visit Odessa make sure you go on a Friday Night during HS Football season.

You are correct about it being out in the middle of nowhere. When I lived in El Paso I'd pass it on my way home to Cincy. Matter of fact there is NOTHING on the 9 hour ride between El Paso and Dallas. They used to sell a cassette tape that cured you to play at certain mile-markers. The tape would tell you something about the area. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Nothing but steers and beers in Texas. Or something like that.

I heard steaks are good down there though. Would like to try that one famous steakhouse up north. Its big and texan like, near Odessa.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 02:39 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Nothing but steers and beers in Texas. Or something like that.

I heard steaks are good down there though. Would like to try that one famous steakhouse up north. Its big and texan like, near Odessa.

B&B Butchers in Houston.  One of 7 (only 7) restaurants in the country licensed to import and sell true Kobe Beef.  I think they have 20 different kinds of steak on the menu.  Dry aged this, bone in that, prime this, etc.  B&B is the best of the best.  But it's easy to find exceptional steak in many places in Houston.  My house for instance.  :)  Steak is about the quality of the meat and not over cooking it.
Reply/Quote
I've been to Dallas several times, Houston, Austin and Galveston. I hear good things about San Antonio but haven't been.

No offense to anybody from there, but the only city i really liked somewhat was Austin. Only reason i visited so many times is because I had friends that lived in Dallas and Houston.

Don't go in the summer, the heat is oppressive.

Frankly, your great country has much nicer places to visit IMHO.
Reply/Quote
I lived in San Antonio twice while I was as in the military. Just visited again 3-4 weeks ago. I like San Antonio a lot. I would visit Austin when I could. Their motto is, "Keep Austin weird." What's not to like about that? I'd recommend both places. There are lots of things to do or see so I'm sure you'll find something which interests you.

El Paso, not so much. The only thing I found in El Paso was sand, more sand, Juarez, and trouble. Oh, and cheap cowboy boots.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 02:39 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Nothing but steers and beers in Texas. Or something like that.

Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers for best steakhouse. If you are looking for a true Texas experience I recommend Cattlemen's in Fabens:

http://www.cattlemansranch.com/aboutus.htm

Steakhouse on a working ranch.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 07:45 AM)Stewy Wrote: B&B Butchers in Houston.  One of 7 (only 7) restaurants in the country licensed to import and sell true Kobe Beef.  I think they have 20 different kinds of steak on the menu.  Dry aged this, bone in that, prime this, etc.  B&B is the best of the best.  But it's easy to find exceptional steak in many places in Houston.  My house for instance.  :)  Steak is about the quality of the meat and not over cooking it.

Dry aged, bone in and prime? The possibilities are endless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Dry aged, bone in and prime?

Ah, like my women.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:12 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Ah, like my women.

Your women are dry aged? The may make a cream for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I lived in the greater Dallas area on and off for the better part of 15 years. 
If you love really bad traffic and people who drive like absolute morons it's the place to be. If you want to be where people think that all the history of the world begins and ends there you may just love Texas.  If you enjoy walking barefoot on grass that feels more like broken glass and nails you may fall in love with Texas.
Other than the above mentioned wonders of the modern world there's just not much. 
My last year in Texas the temperature hoovered around 115° F most days and the former governor prayed for rain despite the weather service telling everyone that it definitely was going to rain. Mostly it was unbearably dry and hot. 
When I got back to Ohio it was raining and people were complaining about the wonderfully mild and moist weather.. When I pointed out that every single plant in my front yard had died from lack of water that didn't matter. It was raining in Ohio and everyone was pissed off about it except for me..
Texas beef is WAYYYYYY overrated. It may surprise you to learn that beef can be transported by truck and even in Ohio you can get a pretty darn good steak. In fact cows can actually live and be raised in Ohio and the quality is roughly exactly the same if not actually better. Most cows in Ohio don't die from dehydration. Amazing, huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 08:00 PM)Stewy Wrote: Good lord you're completely off.  I live in Houston, and the people here are lovely.  Generally friendly, helpful, concerned even about strangers.

Dallas and the Cowboys are the two worst things about Texas.  i worry about you Harley.

Ok. I might have been a little too rough on the Texas people. It's really southern Mississippi work ethic I despise, which many get from making bookoo bucks an hour in the oil industry, and most move slower than a snails pace.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: I lived in the greater Dallas area on and off for the better part of 15 years. 
If you love really bad traffic and people who drive like absolute morons it's the place to be. If you want to be where people think that all the history of the world begins and ends there you may just love Texas.  If you enjoy walking barefoot on grass that feels more like broken glass and nails you may fall in love with Texas.
Other than the above mentioned wonders of the modern world there's just not much. 
My last year in Texas the temperature hoovered around 115° F most days and the former governor prayed for rain despite the weather service telling everyone that it definitely was going to rain. Mostly it was unbearably dry and hot. 
When I got back to Ohio it was raining and people were complaining about the wonderfully mild and moist weather.. When I pointed out that every single plant in my front yard had died from lack of water that didn't matter. It was raining in Ohio and everyone was pissed off about it except for me..
Texas beef is WAYYYYYY overrated. It may surprise you to learn that beef can be transported by truck and even in Ohio you can get a pretty darn good steak. In fact cows can actually live and be raised in Ohio and the quality is roughly exactly the same if not actually better. Most cows in Ohio don't die from dehydration. Amazing, huh?

Again Dallas aint representative of true Texas.  It's a shythole.  If you're making you're judgement of Texas on the metroplex, then you don't know Texas.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 08:01 PM)Stewy Wrote: Again Dallas aint representative of true Texas.  It's a shythole.  If you're making you're judgement of Texas on the metroplex, then you don't know Texas.

I've been all over the state. It's a big state no doubt. Of course its silly to label any entire state based on one city or town. That said, I'm still not all that impressed with Texas as a whole. I kind of like some areas more than others,  hill country is nice in spots.. My absolute least favorite area is anywhere within 200 miles of Amarillo .. I spent 5 years there one day.. lol
One place everyone should try running out of gas at is the huge slaughterhouse out on I-40 outside of Amarillo. That happened to me once hitch hiking.. I never did it again.. My nostrils have never been the same since.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 03:24 AM)grampahol Wrote: I've been all over the state. It's a big state no doubt. Of course its silly to label any entire state based on one city or town. That said, I'm still not all that impressed with Texas as a whole. I kind of like some areas more than others,  hill country is nice in spots.. My absolute least favorite area is anywhere within 200 miles of Amarillo .. I spent 5 years there one day.. lol
One place everyone should try running out of gas at is the huge slaughterhouse out on I-40 outside of Amarillo. That happened to me once hitch hiking.. I never did it again.. My nostrils have never been the same since.. lol

Yeah not much up around the panhandle.  Dry and flat.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 08:00 PM)Stewy Wrote: Good lord you're completely off.  I live in Houston, and the people here are lovely.  Generally friendly, helpful, concerned even about strangers.

To be fair a large population of Houston consists of transplants. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote