Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuilding Plan
It’s painfully obvious the Bengals are coming to the end of an era. God bless Marvin Lewis, his family, and his wonderful Foundation. Marvin took the Bengals from rejected to respectable and all Bengaldom owes him a debt of gratitude. He will leave Cincinnati as the winningest coach in Bengal history with his head held high.

Marvin Lewis was our Moses: He led the Bengals from the NFL version of slavery in Egypt to the borders of the Promised Land but, like Moses, Marvin will never enter it. We need our NFL version of Joshua who did enter the Promised Land. I have some ideas on who that might be.

Rebuilding starts with a new head coach who needs the autonomy to select his own coordinators who, in turn, need autonomy to select their own position coaches. My personal opinion is most of the coaching staff should be former Bengal players who excelled at their positions. The entire scouting department needs an enema and a fresh treatment with probiotics. The scouts need to be personally selected by the head coach and the three coordinators.

This plan won’t come together overnight nor even by next season or the next. The team must be rebuilt from the trenches out, Paul Brown style, with only the best players who fit the new scheme drafted or brought in via free agency. Such a team won’t win right away — but once everything is in place the team will win and do so consistently which brings me to the hardest thing to write:

The current stars on the Cincinnati roster must be given the options to enter free agency or be traded. They don’t have to take it but I don’t want Bengal standouts like AJ Green, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Joe Mixon, and yes, Andy Dalton too, to have to play on a rebuilding team if they want to go win elsewhere. They sweated through hard times and gave their all so if these great men can’t get a ring here, I’m not opposed to them winning it all elsewhere. Those guys I mentioned would be solid contributors on any roster in the league.

The new coach and coordinators need to devise a winning scheme in all three phases of the game and stick to it: Balanced offense, disruptive defense, and opportunistic special teams. The great teams might adjust scheme but they don’t change scheme. New England and Pittsburgh play the same schemes every week and usually win.

It’s going to hurt. But if the Bengals want to win, no pain means no gain.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Any true rebuilding starts with Mikey Boy either pushing up daisies or catatonic in a rest home.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:55 AM)Rattler Wrote: Any true rebuilding starts with Mikey Boy either pushing up daisies or catatonic in a rest home.

Mike’s making far too much money to retire to Shady Acres. Think of all the money he cleared this year via rollover cap and letting higher priced vets walk. This year was a huge success for the Brown family.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Not trying to be an ass, but what has Mixon done to be included in that group of players? He should just be thankful Bengals took him with his background. Likewise, Burfict in same boat as most other franchises would've cut bait a long time ago on him.

I say move on from Dalton, Pacman, Eifert, Lafell, Dennard, etc. and start the rebuild. Draft a QB round 1 and let them sit behind McCarron next year. Rebuild OL/DL next couple of drafts as well as guys like Geno Atkins and Dunlap play out their contracts. I agree though that AJ Green deserves shot to play for a winner. I'd start looking for NFC teams to try to move him to with multiple high picks being the price tag. No pressure to trade him but if right offer comes, definitely gotta consider it. Bengals do this rebuild right they can be right back at top of division in 2019 or 2020 when Steelers and Ravens starting their declines.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s painfully obvious the Bengals are coming to the end of an era.  God bless Marvin Lewis, his family, and his wonderful Foundation.  Marvin took the Bengals from rejected to respectable and all Bengaldom owes him a debt of gratitude.  He will leave Cincinnati as the winningest coach in Bengal history with his head held high.  

Marvin Lewis was our Moses:  He led the Bengals from the NFL version of slavery in Egypt to the borders of the Promised Land but, like Moses, Marvin will never enter it.  We need our NFL version of Joshua who did enter the Promised Land.  I have some ideas on who that might be.

Rebuilding starts with a new head coach who needs the autonomy to select his own coordinators who, in turn, need autonomy to select their own position coaches.  My personal opinion is most of the coaching staff should be former Bengal players who excelled at their positions. The entire scouting department needs an enema and a fresh treatment with probiotics.  The scouts need to be personally selected by the head coach and the three coordinators.  

This plan won’t come together overnight nor even by next season or the next.  The team must be rebuilt from the trenches out, Paul Brown style, with only the best players who fit the new scheme drafted or brought in via free agency.  Such a team won’t win right away — but once everything is in place the team will win and do so consistently which brings me to the hardest thing to write:

The current stars on the Cincinnati roster must be given the options to enter free agency or be traded.  They don’t have to take it but I don’t want Bengal standouts like AJ Green, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Joe Mixon, and yes, Andy Dalton too, to have to play on a rebuilding team if they want to go win elsewhere.  They sweated through hard times and gave their all so if these great men can’t get a ring here, I’m not opposed to them winning it all elsewhere.  Those guys I mentioned would be solid contributors on any roster in the league.

The new coach and coordinators need to devise a winning scheme in all three phases of the game and stick to it:  Balanced offense, disruptive defense, and opportunistic special teams.  The great teams might adjust scheme but they don’t change scheme.  New England and Pittsburgh play the same schemes every week and usually win.

It’s going to hurt.  But if the Bengals want to win, no pain means no gain.
If we get a sweetheart deal for them then ok trade them but WTF would we just let them walk. That's dumb it's not like that NBA or MLB where it takes years to build a winner all it takes is a year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:18 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Not trying to be an ass, but what has Mixon done to be included in that group of players? He should just be thankful Bengals took him with his background. Likewise, Burfict in same boat as most other franchises would've cut bait a long time ago on him.

I say move on from Dalton, Pacman, Eifert, Lafell, Dennard, etc. and start the rebuild. Draft a QB round 1 and let them sit behind McCarron next year. Rebuild OL/DL next couple of drafts as well as guys like Geno Atkins and Dunlap play out their contracts. I agree though that AJ Green deserves shot to play for a winner. I'd start looking for NFC teams to try to move him to with multiple high picks being the price tag.  No pressure to trade him but if right offer comes, definitely gotta consider it. Bengals do this rebuild right they can be right back at top of division in 2019 or 2020 when Steelers and Ravens starting their declines.
I wouldnt include Dennard in this group.  Hes the second best corner we got.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:02 AM)ah5 Wrote: I wouldnt include Dennard in this group.  Hes the second best corner we got.

He actually turned into a good Corner with playing time....( who wouldve guessed?)

Dennard and WJIII

get rid of everyone....we wont though....
Reply/Quote
I don’t like the idea of the staff being made up of successful ex-Bengals. No thanks. No good can come of that. Who is the head coach? Dave Lapham? Lap is great and knows a lot about football, but I doubt he has the variety of skills you need to be a successful head coach in the NFL. Successful NFL coaches are type A personalities, with traits you find in great CEOs, and of course major football cred.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: New England and Pittsburgh play the same schemes every week and usually win.

I disagree strongly, especially when it comes to New England. One of their key strengths, is their ability to adapt, and game plan circles around everybody else.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s painfully obvious the Bengals are coming to the end of an era.  God bless Marvin Lewis, his family, and his wonderful Foundation.  Marvin took the Bengals from rejected to respectable and all Bengaldom owes him a debt of gratitude.  He will leave Cincinnati as the winningest coach in Bengal history with his head held high.  

Marvin Lewis was our Moses:  He led the Bengals from the NFL version of slavery in Egypt to the borders of the Promised Land but, like Moses, Marvin will never enter it.  We need our NFL version of Joshua who did enter the Promised Land.  I have some ideas on who that might be.

Rebuilding starts with a new head coach who needs the autonomy to select his own coordinators who, in turn, need autonomy to select their own position coaches.  My personal opinion is most of the coaching staff should be former Bengal players who excelled at their positions. The entire scouting department needs an enema and a fresh treatment with probiotics.  The scouts need to be personally selected by the head coach and the three coordinators.  

This plan won’t come together overnight nor even by next season or the next.  The team must be rebuilt from the trenches out, Paul Brown style, with only the best players who fit the new scheme drafted or brought in via free agency.  Such a team won’t win right away — but once everything is in place the team will win and do so consistently which brings me to the hardest thing to write:

The current stars on the Cincinnati roster must be given the options to enter free agency or be traded.  They don’t have to take it but I don’t want Bengal standouts like AJ Green, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Joe Mixon, and yes, Andy Dalton too, to have to play on a rebuilding team if they want to go win elsewhere.  They sweated through hard times and gave their all so if these great men can’t get a ring here, I’m not opposed to them winning it all elsewhere.  Those guys I mentioned would be solid contributors on any roster in the league.

The new coach and coordinators need to devise a winning scheme in all three phases of the game and stick to it:  Balanced offense, disruptive defense, and opportunistic special teams.  The great teams might adjust scheme but they don’t change scheme.  New England and Pittsburgh play the same schemes every week and usually win.

None of this makes a damn bit of sense. 

1. I've paid my debt with my fanhood and all that encompasses. I don't owe Marv jack shit. Matter of fact, he has a debt that he can't pay. 

2. Coordinators don't select their own position coaches. Ideally, the HC does that. A lot of times it's done in conjunction with a GM.

3. You didn't even mention a GM. Mike Brown needs to get his ass out of the equation. Whoever takes over the franchise needs to find the best qualified, at least somewhat proven, person to head the job. Then that GM, sometimes in conjunction with the owner/president of football operations finds a HC. 

4. The scouting department isn't a colon. They're people that shouldn't be picked by the new HC because that's not what head coaches do. That's the job of the front office/director of football operations. As well, completely changing an established team, from front office to position coaches has never been done in the NFL, for good reason. 

5. Shit rolls downhill. You can't have 4 people, HC + 3 coordinators, making so many decisions like it's a democracy. 

6. Players have contracts and NO ONE just gives them a free pass to be free agents and go somewhere else simply because they're so kindhearted and want them to do well because they're such "great men". 

7. Again, you don't have a coach committee making all these decisions. You just mentioned Pitt and NE as examples. They don't do anything like you're proposing. 

This plan has failure written all over it from the very beginning and would make the Bengals seem even more clueless than the Browns in how to run an NFL franchise. 

I'm not even going to comment on how if Marv leaves with his head held high, he's even more clueless to his complete lack of self-awareness in his inability to prepare a team for games that mean the most--prime time, division rivals, playoffs--than i could ever imagine. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown retires.
Katie hires a GM and does nothing but sign checks.
GM has five years to win a Super Bowl, circumstances permitting like injury bugs and so on.
GM hires new Head Coach.
GM and Head Coach hire Coaching Staff.
GM, Head Coach and Coaching Staff evaluate players, get rid of players that don't fit new system or won't buy into new system and go and get players that do through Free Agency and the NFL Draft.

If by three years the team doesn't make the playoffs or at least be 10-6 just missing the playoffs, Head Coach and Coaching Staff get one more year, if they miss the playoffs they are gone as is the GM.

Hold everyone accountable and follow through. Maybe the Bengals luck into a Belichick and Brady and win six Super Bowls in 20 years catching up to the Steelers.
Reply/Quote

re: Allowing the starts to be traded for picks - I agree in theory and I'd probably do it too...

It's just that with our limited scouting staff, our picks have been REALLY bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 05:58 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Mike Brown retires.
Katie hires a GM and does nothing but sign checks.
GM has five years to win a Super Bowl, circumstances permitting like injury bugs and so on.
GM hires new Head Coach.
GM and Head Coach hire Coaching Staff.
GM, Head Coach and Coaching Staff evaluate players, get rid of players that don't fit new system or won't buy into new system and go and get players that do through Free Agency and the NFL Draft.

If by three years the team doesn't make the playoffs or at least be 10-6 just missing the playoffs, Head Coach and Coaching Staff get one more year, if they miss the playoffs they are gone as is the GM.

Hold everyone accountable and follow through. Maybe the Bengals luck into a Belichick and Brady and win six Super Bowls in 20 years catching up to the Steelers.

excellent plan. The only possible solution. :andy:

Can we also hire some scouts and build an indoor practice field.
Reply/Quote
Plan B , Kidnap MB and replace him with competent look alike. Immediately fire entire FO and coaches.

Spend money on interior OL, get practice facility, more scouts, let new coach actually have control, then cross fingers.

Ok maybe OP's plan is better but we need a backup plan as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:55 AM)Rattler Wrote: Any true rebuilding starts with Mikey Boy either pushing up daisies or catatonic in a rest home.

Look on the bright side, Paul Brown passed away at age 82. Mikey turned 82 in August.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:18 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Not trying to be an ass, but what has Mixon done to be included in that group of players? He should just be thankful Bengals took him with his background. Likewise, Burfict in same boat as most other franchises would've cut bait a long time ago on him.

I say move on from Dalton, Pacman, Eifert, Lafell, Dennard, etc. and start the rebuild. Draft a QB round 1 and let them sit behind McCarron next year. Rebuild OL/DL next couple of drafts as well as guys like Geno Atkins and Dunlap play out their contracts. I agree though that AJ Green deserves shot to play for a winner. I'd start looking for NFC teams to try to move him to with multiple high picks being the price tag.  No pressure to trade him but if right offer comes, definitely gotta consider it. Bengals do this rebuild right they can be right back at top of division in 2019 or 2020 when Steelers and Ravens starting their declines.

The Rams might be a good candidate. While they traded for Watkins, he becomes a FA after this season and Green is an upgrade anyway.
But if the Bengals move AJ and also move on from LaFell, their WRs would be Ross, Boyd, Malone, Core, Erickson, and likely a draft pick. I doubt I'd watch the Bengals much with such unproven WRs, especially if the offense didn't become run focused with that group.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:46 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Look on the bright side, Paul Brown passed away at age 82. Mikey turned 82 in August.

I'd prefer the 110 year old corpse propped up as opposed to the crooked lawyer profiteering no-nothing, do-nothing thief of a son.
Reply/Quote
Nah, i don't think we are that far off. The new HC just needs to fix the O-line and this team is solid for the rest of the coaches
to work with. A new HC and new coaches will be extremely refreshing for everyone. Players and fans alike.

Marv has just been terrible the last two years coaching. The players just quit on him and we can easily find an upgrade.

Russ Grimm is the guy i want as the new HC, he can fix the O-line and we are right back in the Playoffs and actually have a
coach that knows how to adjust in the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:05 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: He actually turned into a good Corner with playing time....( who wouldve guessed?)

Dennard and WJIII

get rid of everyone....we wont though....

I think Russel could be good as well.... Jones and DKP are atrocious....  Wait forgot about Shaw, hes good because he can backup safety and corner.
Reply/Quote
Let the new coach decide who he wants to keep and let go if someone is demanding a trade get them out of here don't need locker room conflict.
Reply/Quote