Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuilding down south.
Most of those homes in the Keys, for example, were destroyed. The owners of those homes are waiting on Fema and aid to start rebuilding. No doubt its beautiful down there with great weather (most of the time). I have a`few questions about this. This applies to the rest of south Florida and along the southern coast to Texas.

1) Do these people think this will never happen again?
2) Why would anyone build a home in a flood plain, In land below sea level or a strip of land a hundred yards wide surrounded by oceans?
3) How can people afford home owners or flood insurance in these area's?
4) Is tax payer money being used so these people can go back to living in these nice climates?
Most of the taxpayer funding will go towards rebuilding infrastructure. The max a homeowner can get from FEMA is, IIRC, about $34k. Most people aren't going to get that, either. Now, NFIP is a bit different, but they don't pay enough to recoup losses, either. https://www.fema.gov/average-claim-payments-date-loss

All in all, I don't get it. I mean, I love the ocean and all, but when people live on places like Dauphin Island I worry about their sanity.
I've always said you get one free one. Then if you decide to build there again, it's on you. Then I think do I think the same way about tornadoes, and I'm not sure.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I don't understand the reasoning. When the ice caps melt due to global warming, a lot of these places will cease to exist.
(09-13-2017, 05:50 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I don't understand the reasoning. When the ice caps melt due to global warming, a lot of these places will cease to exist.

Fun fact, I actually had conversations the past two days about this in relation to Norfolk and Virginia Beach and discussing how we are crafting policy to take this into account.
(09-13-2017, 05:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Fun fact, I actually had conversations the past two days about this in relation to Norfolk and Virginia Beach and discussing how we are crafting policy to take this into account.

Somewhere is going to be oceanfront.  The trick is trying to figure out where that will be and buying up land.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

There should be no FEMA for anyone down here.

FEMA shouldn't even exist.

As for those who build on or near the water. Hurricanes are the chance you take, there should be no bailout for anyone who builds within 5 miles from the ocean. And before anyone asks... this does include me.

And to the OP. 25% of the homes on the keys were destroyed. Great time to buy down there.
(09-13-2017, 05:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Most of the taxpayer funding will go towards rebuilding infrastructure. The max a homeowner can get from FEMA is, IIRC, about $34k. Most people aren't going to get that, either. Now, NFIP is a bit different, but they don't pay enough to recoup losses, either. https://www.fema.gov/average-claim-payments-date-loss

All in all, I don't get it. I mean, I love the ocean and all, but when people live on places like Dauphin Island I worry about their sanity.

They are going to get what they can from FEMA and others and cash out and either leave the property to the bank or short sale
There is a really good reason that in the old days people built really simple shacks near the ocean..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-13-2017, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There is a really good reason that in the old days people built really simple shacks near the ocean..

Yup. Also why I will be shopping in the keys this year
Sounds like a nice place to visit.  I think I'll still live here in Iowa. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.