Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Recent history says keeping Zac is a mistake
(12-30-2020, 07:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except why did Burrow get hurt? Because of a bad OL and a bad offensive playcaller.

Not attempting to defend Taylor, but didn't Burrow have full capability to audible his own plays as he saw fit?  The truth of the matter is we really don't know exactly how many plays that were sent in from the sidelines actually were ran as called on the field.  For all we know, our rookie superstar might have just gambled on himself time after time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not attempting to defend Taylor, but didn't Burrow have full capability to audible his own plays as he saw fit?  The truth of the matter is we really don't know exactly how many plays that were sent in from the sidelines actually were ran as called on the field.  For all we know, our rookie superstar might have just gambled on himself time after time.

I always thought they sent in 2 plays to give QB the option based on his pre read.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll win 6 or 7 games next year and these Homer's will talk about injuries, how Burrow had no offseason, etc.

The bar is low here.

Burrow is also technically still going to be a rookie in 2021...the joys of an injury-riddled rookie season for our 1st round picks.  
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 05:59 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I always thought they sent in 2 plays to give QB the option based on his pre read.

I'm not sure about that.  What I do think is that for every formation that they're in, there are a complete set of plays that the QB can audible to when he sees something.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll win 6 or 7 games next year and these Homer's will talk about injuries, how Burrow had no offseason, etc.

The bar is low here.

That's my big fear as well. We go 6-9-1 winning a couple late in season. We start hearing the usual excuses, players X,Y, and Z were injured, Burrow didn't make it back to start season, Oline needed 12 games to gel, defense was improving towards end, we lost 5 games by 7 points or less, and so on.

Given all the obstacles (that every other team faces as well) Zac faced we're gonna extend him.  Sick
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not attempting to defend Taylor, but didn't Burrow have full capability to audible his own plays as he saw fit?  The truth of the matter is we really don't know exactly how many plays that were sent in from the sidelines actually were ran as called on the field.  For all we know, our rookie superstar might have just gambled on himself time after time.

So a HC/Playcaller sees his QB audible himself into passing over 40 times per game behind a shoddy line and doesn't put a stop to it? That would be a whole new problem if true, Sunset.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
A few more crazy stats when it comes to the history of coaches with Zac's record:

Excluding Zac and Kyle Shanahan, who are both still active, and Dick Vermeil, who retired after his 3rd season with Rams ---
  • Since 1990, 30 head coaches have started with 6 wins or less in each of their first 2 full years.
  • 11 of those coaches were fired / not retained after their 2nd season.
  • Of the 19 brought back for a 3rd season - 3 were fired during the year and 6 more fired at end of year.
  • That's a total of 20 (out of 30) that didn't get any farther than a 3rd season.
  • Of the 10 that survived a 3rd year (5 had winning seasons) - only 1 ever had another winning season with that team.
  • Those 30 coaches combined for a grand total of 7 seasons with a winning record in 94 opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:58 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Stefanski inherited team that was picked to be i the playoffs the year before. The Bengals weremnot picks dto be in playoffs.
The 2019 Browns also had a 6 game suspension on Myles Garrett that would have given them more wins.
You can argue AJ green did not play but I think we can both agree that AJ is not the same level of talent these days as Myles Garrett.
Stefanski and the Browns also had a ton of money to spend on Free agents.

Nobody would have predicted the playoffs for Cleveland had they known OBJ would miss half the season. And Garrett several games due to covid protocol. Yet they didn’t miss a beat. It’s almost like Stefanski is a really good coach or something...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 12:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nobody would have predicted the playoffs for Cleveland had they known OBJ would miss half the season. And Garrett several games due to covid protocol. Yet they didn’t miss a beat. It’s almost like Stefanski is a really good coach or something...

Not to mention making Baker Hayfield look like he's an NFL QB
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 12:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not to mention making Baker Hayfield look like he's an NFL QB

I’m referring to him as such for here on lol

Well done, sir.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 06:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So a HC/Playcaller sees his QB audible himself into passing over 40 times per game behind a shoddy line and doesn't put a stop to it? That would be a whole new problem if true, Sunset.

My thoughts exactly. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 12:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nobody would have predicted the playoffs for Cleveland had they known OBJ would miss half the season. And Garrett several games due to covid protocol. Yet they didn’t miss a beat. It’s almost like Stefanski is a really good coach or something...

Stefanski is a darn good coach. 
He understands the balance of a run pass ratio.
He knows how to make use of what he has 
And get the most out of them.
Chubb missed 5 games...Beckham 10. 
And still the 2nd best redzone team in the league
If he the Bengals coach this team would be better 
Than 4 10 1 now
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:12 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 3 teams with at least 10 win (only division) and combined 36 wins in our division (most in the league). Its not this is some dumpy division. 

But yes, he needs to make some playoff noise next year to deserve another year. He doesn't deserve one now, but he isn't going anywhere. 

Bengals are 0-3-1 against the NFC East this year, perhaps the worst division in NFL history over a two year span.

The NFC East is going to average 5.875 wins per team this year after averaging just 6 wins per team last year.

Keep in mind that the least amount of wins a division can possibly average is 3 just by sheer virtue of divisional games.

3-0-1 against the Bengals
12-12 against themselves
8-28 against everyone else

That's the dumpiest division, and they didn't get a single loss against Taylor.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:02 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals are 0-3-1 against the NFC East this year, perhaps the worst division in NFL history over a two year span.

The NFC East is going to average 5.875 wins per team this year after averaging just 6 wins per team last year.

Keep in mind that the least amount of wins a division can possibly average is 3 just by sheer virtue of divisional games.

3-0-1 against the Bengals
12-12 against themselves
8-28 against everyone else

That's the dumpiest division, and they didn't get a single loss against Taylor.

Oh cool man... I had no idea... this information is earth shattering and changes my opinion on everything. Good on you.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:19 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not a fanboy of Taylor

I don't care who the coach is, I just want the team to win.

I'm also worried about the Bengals hiring a new coach and things getting worse. 

They get a new coach and 2021 is shot while the new coach changes things up, then maybe 2022 the team competes? Then we hit the last year of Burrow on a rookie contract.

There is just no sure thing, and to keep from pulling a Cleveland on our QBs it seems like the smart move is to get a good D coordinator, a new line coach, and let the O coordinator call plays. 

He will not give up play calling
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 07:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, the guy has a .114 win % in non-December games - .114! He's done practically nothing in each of his 2 years until the season is completely down the crapper, then he wins a couple of late season games.

there has been nothing impressive except how fast he took this team back to the bottom of the nfl
Reply/Quote