Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record Unemployment, Record Trade Deficit, Record National Debt
(10-08-2020, 04:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Which scientists? What if they disagree and there's no consensus on what to do? Also, are any of these scientists economic scientists? You do realize that a scientist may say a full lockdown is needed to stop the virus but a full lockdown could also totally crash our economy and so a compromise may be needed. What then?

I couldn't possibly know the answer to any of those questions.

So what is your point?

Are you saying we should ignore what the scientists say?

Leave everything wide open no matter how many people die?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I couldn't possibly know the answer to any of those questions.

So what is your point?

My point is that just saying "scientists" doesn't answer the question. I know it's absurd, but what if it's Bill Nye that says we need to shutdown. Or what if Stephen Hawking says we need to remain open. What if Dr. Burks says we should remain open but Dr. Fauci says we should shutdown? What if medical professionals say we should lockdown but economic professionals say that will destroy the economy?

Saying "I will listen to "The Scientists"" is akin to saying "I have a plan" but not giving any specifics on the plan.

fredtoast Wrote:Are you saying we should ignore what the scientists say?

Leave everything wide open no matter how many people die?

Yes, fred. Asking for specifics means that I'm saying we should ignore scientists and leave everything wide open so everybody dies. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:52 AM)PhilHos Wrote: My point is that just saying "scientists" doesn't answer the question. I know it's absurd, but what if it's Bill Nye that says we need to shutdown. Or what if Stephen Hawking says we need to remain open. What if Dr. Burks says we should remain open but Dr. Fauci says we should shutdown? What if medical professionals say we should lockdown but economic professionals say that will destroy the economy?

Saying "I will listen to "The Scientists"" is akin to saying "I have a plan" but not giving any specifics on the plan.

Yes, fred. Asking for specifics means that I'm saying we should ignore scientists and leave everything wide open so everybody dies. Rolleyes

I am not trying to be "tricky" or twist your words.

I just asked a simple question.  You implied that Biden would shut down the country.  I am simply asking why you said that and why you would you be opposed to shutting down businesses no matter how bad the pandemic was.

This is why I keep complaining about the silly "question game" that a few people here like to play.  Instead of saying hat they mean they ask a vague question.  Then when you try to decipher what they are trying to say they get defensive.

So what is your position on shutting down businesses?  Should it never happen no matter how bad the pandemic gets?  Instead of attacking me for misrepresenting you how about you just say what you mean?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not trying to be "tricky" or twist your words.

I just asked a simple question.  

Oh please. Give it a rest. You asked a simple question where you accused me of saying something I never said.

(10-12-2020, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So what is your position on shutting down businesses?  Should it never happen no matter how bad the pandemic gets? 

I shouldn't do this because of your bullshit, but I will magnanimously answer your actual legitimate question. First off, I don't believe we will ever need a country wide lockdown. I think some areas of the country might require it in the future but I don't believe that decision should be left up to the president. Also the whole purpose of the lockdown was initially to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, right? If a lockdown is something that is needed to prevent a local hospital from being overwhelmed, then the mayor or governor should lockdown until such time that the hospital is no longer in danger of being overwhelmed.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I shouldn't do this because of your bullshit, but I will magnanimously answer your actual legitimate question. First off, I don't believe we will ever need a country wide lockdown. I think some areas of the country might require it in the future but I don't believe that decision should be left up to the president. Also the whole purpose of the lockdown was initially to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, right? If a lockdown is something that is needed to prevent a local hospital from being overwhelmed, then the mayor or governor should lockdown until such time that the hospital is no longer in danger of being overwhelmed.  

So who should the mayors or governors listen to when deciding if they need to shut down businesses?
Reply/Quote