Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red's announcers
Marty will leave big shoes to fill when he retires this year. I was listening to the Reds against the fish on 4/10/19 and was thinking, "without Marty or the Cowboy, these guys suck." Does anyone know who will replace Marty? Cannot be the guy I was hearing today. OMG.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I grew up listening to Marty and Joe. I can remember the Reds being on a west coast trip playing the Dodgers or whoever and Dad would have the game on blasting out of his bedroom radio late into the night. All the upstairs windows open, fans going, we didn't have AC yet in 1974. Marty and Joe were just a part of my childhood.

It's hard for me to imagine both of them being gone. I haven't heard who is replacing him.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 10:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I grew up listening to Marty and Joe. I can remember the Reds being on a west coast trip playing the Dodgers or whoever and Dad would have the game on blasting out of his bedroom radio late into the night. All the upstairs windows open, fans going, we didn't have AC yet in 1974. Marty and Joe were just a part of my childhood.

It's hard for me to imagine both of them being gone. I haven't heard who is replacing him.

I remember when Marty replaced Al Micheals and wondered, "Who is this Marty guy?" The most memorable moment of Marty was him screaming, Reds win the pennant! Reds win the pennant!"  Heck, I still remember Waite Hoyte and his rain delay's.. 
My grandfather was around baseball most of his life, player and coach in Dayton Ameture ball many many moons ago so I listened to his never ending baseball stories even though he was stone deaf. 
The Reds radio broadcasts really began to bore the heck out of me when it seemed like the only thing they wanted to discuss was which restaurant they went to or their golf scores.. Brantly never really did impress me as a broadcaster. Joe and Marty were and still are the gold standard of radio broadcasts.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 12:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: I remember when Marty replaced Al Micheals and wondered, "Who is this Marty guy?" The most memorable moment of Marty was him screaming, Reds win the pennant! Reds win the pennant!"  Heck, I still remember Waite Hoyte and his rain delay's.. 
My grandfather was around baseball most of his life, player and coach in Dayton Ameture ball many many moons ago so I listened to his never ending baseball stories even though he was stone deaf. 
The Reds radio broadcasts really began to bore the heck out of me when it seemed like the only thing they wanted to discuss was which restaurant they went to or their golf scores.. Brantly never really did impress me as a broadcaster. Joe and Marty were and still are the gold standard of radio broadcasts.. 

Indeed they were !

I fell asleep many a summer night after hearing "this is the old lefthander rounding third and heading for home.

Is Thom an option ? Or is he locked into the T.V. gig ?
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 01:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed they were !

I fell asleep many a summer night after hearing "this is the old lefthander rounding third and heading for home.

Is Thom an option ? Or is he locked into the T.V. gig ?

Not sure, but the TV announcers have been pretty good for the most part. I'm still not impressed with Brantly though, but apparently enough other people do like him. Oh well.. Can't please everyone all the time. I like to think my taste in announcers is the gold standard of taste, but I'm sure I'm bound to be disagreed with on that little issue..  Cool  

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I need therapy after hearing Danny Graves attempt to do radio yesterday.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 01:01 AM)Storer50 Wrote: I need therapy after hearing Danny Graves attempt to do radio yesterday.

does Graves have a high squeeky voice?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Yep

[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 01:42 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Yep

OMG he is terrible.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Nice story by Jim Day interviewing a nice old couple and family in Monterrey. Old man's wife is from Dayton and he went to University of Dayton, but they've lived in Monterrey 62 years..Been Reds fans all that time.. 

Reply/Quote
I have enjoyed Marty and Joe over the years. However, ready for someone new. Hope the Reds pick a good person.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
One of my favorite segments listening to games late at night as a kid was always the Star of the Game with Joe Nuxall. He'd pick out the player he thought had the winning hit or threw the best pitches or whatever to interview after the game.. Always entertaining. The game was never over until Joe did the SOTG.. Occasionally a Spanish speaking player would be SOTG and could get a bit awkward.. "Beisbol been berry berry good to me.." 
I've long wondered why they didn't continue it after Joe.. A lot of people forget the Joe also threw batting practice before games then announce games for years..

Reply/Quote
They seem to love to complain about Thom over on Redszone.com. He doesn't bother me nearly as much as some of the radio guys who rattle on endlessly about nothing and anything..

Reply/Quote
The Reds announcers are awesome. Seriously.

Thom Brennaman is solid. He's on National TV in multiple sports for a reason, he's very good.

Chris Welsh may be the best analyst I may have ever heard. He does naturally what Tim McCarver tried to force, teaching the game of baseball. Big difference between the two, Welsh doesn't talk like the listener is a 5 year old sitting down for his first game of baseball. Needs to work on that creepy intro/pre-game smile, though.

Jim Day is one of the very few sideline reporters that actually contributes to the broadcast. 95% of them suck and read off of a card when it's their cue. Jim Day also fills in as play by play on the radio and TV without really missing a beat. It would suck to lose him on TV, but he would get my vote of the current team to replace Marty.

Marty Brennaman is in the HOF and not much more needs to be said. His on air honesty will indeed be a thing of the past when he retires. Very few people can speak out like him and still keep their job.

Jeff Brantley is hilarious, always keeps me chuckling and is one of the rare former players that can do the play by play roll(Pat Summerall, Ray Bentley, Charles Davis). I've been in broadcasting off and on for almost 30 years now and I can tell you that play by play is a difficult skill to learn. It's nowhere near as easy as people think it is.

Don't know enough about Graves and Jeff Porcorro(sp?) is good when he fills in for Jim Day but that's all I know about him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 04:06 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Reds announcers are awesome. Seriously.

Thom Brennaman is solid. He's on National TV in multiple sports for a reason, he's very good.

Chris Welsh may be the best analyst I may have ever heard. He does naturally what Tim McCarver tried to force, teaching the game of baseball. Big difference between the two, Welsh doesn't talk like the listener is a 5 year old sitting down for his first game of baseball. Needs to work on that creepy intro/pre-game smile, though.

Jim Day is one of the very few sideline reporters that actually contributes to the broadcast. 95% of them suck and read off of a card when it's their cue. Jim Day also fills in as play by play on the radio and TV without really missing a beat. It would suck to lose him on TV, but he would get my vote of the current team to replace Marty.

Marty Brennaman is in the HOF and not much more needs to be said. His on air honesty will indeed be a thing of the past when he retires. Very few people can speak out like him and still keep their job.

Jeff Brantley is hilarious, always keeps me chuckling and is one of the rare former players that can do the play by play roll(Pat Summerall, Ray Bentley, Charles Davis). I've been in broadcasting off and on for almost 30 years now and I can tell you that play by play is a difficult skill to learn. It's nowhere near as easy as people think it is.

Don't know enough about Graves and Jeff Porcorro(sp?) is good when he fills in for Jim Day but that's all I know about him.

Oh my McCarver was awful ! Has an answer for everything just like Dan Fouts in football. " well you see the wind was blowing NE to SW across the field and the earth is spinning the opposite direction, the catcher flashed the fastball sign but the pitcher threw a slider so the torque on the ball" Tim STFU !
Reply/Quote
I guess everyone has their favorites and the opposite, guys they can't stand listening to..
I suppose I got spoiled growing up listening to Reds broadcasters of the past. They're not Marty and Joe and never will be. Joe earned his chops working with Waite Hoyte and the rest could just never live up to his great stories from those great Yankee teams with Ruth, Gehrig and others then over to the Reds.
We all know what we like and don't like. Waite Hoyte in today's baseball would likely bore the hell out of the impatient fans who want non-stop action or something like that. Hoyte was famous for his rain delay broadcasts. Rain delays often now spell the end of the game on radio..These guys have nothing to talk about to entertain fans or perhaps they do, but the radio station owners have no patience and only care about instantaneous revenue over well informed and entertained fans..  IDK..maybe I'm just too old school about these things.

BTW, the Reds/Braves game here in SC is blacked out on mlb.tv except for radio.. I guess I might be able to suffer through one every now and then.

Reply/Quote
I think a lot of Marty love is based off the past and heavy nostalgia. He's become a angry old man the last decade or so. If the Reds ever have a good player, you can be sure he's going to hate him. I think the problem was Marty became a Hall of Famer while still doing to the job and then Joe died. Those two combined pretty much left him unchecked as far as ego and anger goes.

Thom is pretty terrible to listen to TV broadcast-wise. Dude loves to gush about the other team, and loves to talk about anything any everything besides baseball, doubly so for the current game being played.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Give me a Welsh/Day combo. Welsh is a font of knowledge as far as insight to the game and it's rules-wise, and Day is a font of knowledge Reds players-wise.

Honestly, the biggest downside of Day being in the booth sometimes is that then he's not on the field to interact with the players in the dugout/after the game, and they seem to open up to him a lot more than players normally do in interviews.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Maybe Jim Day will take over!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:17 PM)firstand10 Wrote: Maybe Jim Day will take over!

I love Derek Dietrich's idea to do another weekly podcast with JD called Gym Day with Jim Day where they would be filmed working out together with Dietrich giving him tips. That would be a fun watch.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Looks like Tommy Thrall will replace Marty. I listen to some of his stuff and he is pretty good. He will pair with the Cowboy. Wish him all the Best. Hard to follow someone like Marty. Damn. Hated to see he retire. A lot of grown men cried when Marty called his last game for the Reds.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote