Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red's sign Top 5 international star
Red's sign slick defensive SS Alfredo Rodriguez. The article suggest the signing was costly for the Red's and that Rodriguez would not be considered a first round prospect in the MLB draft. They must really like him. It also could mean they may move Cozart in the near future. The knock I hear on Rodriquez is his batting average.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yea, the article I read said that he would be considered a 3rd to 6th round pick in the average MLB draft

And futher more, we apparently spent over our international bonus pool for the year (whatever the **** that means) and we'll now suffer some pretty hefty penalties and taxes for it.

I hope he's worth it. Because it appears as though this will hamstring their international presence which, for whatever reason, has been very strong for quite a few years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/reds-pay-costly-price-alfredo-rodriguez/#jBFRtj2vlRvFGkuP.97
Reply/Quote
It's a stupid move.....Another reason Reds are in last place last few years....They need pitching.....They have a good shortstop in Cozart.....I could see this guy if they got him on the cheap, but to over spend and blow up their international pool money for a shortstop when they have a shortstop.....and one that can't hit you are saying. Cozart can hit and field.......

The Reds make no sense these days.  To the guy that said in another thread that Pete Rose Day leaves him with mixed feelings as the Reds seem to be bringing back the old timers every year to sell seats. I like Pete Rose Day, but I agree that hearing the Sparky Anderson video every year say, " and that's what they did ", is getting old.   I agree that the Reds need to start winning, and this is in no way the right move. ....So now, if an international pitcher comes along, we are shackled because we bet the works on this shortstop, a position we are not in need of.

Message to the Reds....You Need Pitching....It's so bad I'm now taking hitters going against Reds pitching each week in Fantasy Baseball, and it's working as all hitters light up the Reds every week.

This worked for Pete when he came back, and Reds should do it. End this youth movement kick....In 2017, they need to pick up a couple veteran pitchers who can put up some innings.  They also need a veteran catcher who's best ability is to manage the pitchers and get all over them, a future manager type.  Somebody that calls a good game and can go out to the mound and light a fire under these lousy Reds pitchers rear ends.  We need a veteran catcher and a couple veteran pitchers.  Like when we brought in Jim Kaat, or Danny Jackson or Pete Harnish.   Veterans we can get on the cheap, but are probably better than the stiffs we have now.

and another message to Reds....You have done nothing but lose with Price and he is not the one. He is last place all the way....The only thing he has accomplished was his F bomb interview against the media, blaming the media for the Reds losing....No, he is the loser. ....Price needs to go also. .....I'm not seeing much good out of this new GM yet. When is he going to get with it.

I said at the time and caught flack for it, that drafting Yonder Alonzo as a #1 pick when they had just brought up Votto from the minors was a stupid draft pick....and I will say the same on this pick when they have Cozart.....What, the Reds don't have huge holes at other positions to fill, such as relief pitching and starting pitching which is just the worst pitching staff in baseball, The Worst......The Reds ownership is showing me no moves that will avoid Reds being in last place the next 5 years. They better get with it. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 03:14 AM)kevin Wrote: It's a stupid move.....Another reason Reds are in last place last few years....They need pitching.....They have a good shortstop in Cozart.....I could see this guy if they got him on the cheap, but to over spend and blow up their international pool money for a shortstop when they have a shortstop.....and one that can't hit you are saying. Cozart can hit and field.......

The Reds make no sense these days.  To the guy that said in another thread that Pete Rose Day leaves him with mixed feelings as the Reds seem to be bringing back the old timers every year to sell seats. I like Pete Rose Day, but I agree that hearing the Sparky Anderson video every year say, " and that's what they did ", is getting old.   I agree that the Reds need to start winning, and this is in no way the right move. ....So now, if an international pitcher comes along, we are shackled because we bet the works on this shortstop, a position we are not in need of.

Message to the Reds....You Need Pitching....It's so bad I'm now taking hitters going against Reds pitching each week in Fantasy Baseball, and it's working as all hitters light up the Reds every week.

This worked for Pete when he came back, and Reds should do it. End this youth movement kick....In 2017, they need to pick up a couple veteran pitchers who can put up some innings.  They also need a veteran catcher who's best ability is to manage the pitchers and get all over them, a future manager type.  Somebody that calls a good game and can go out to the mound and light a fire under these lousy Reds pitchers rear ends.  We need a veteran catcher and a couple veteran pitchers.  Like when we brought in Jim Kaat, or Danny Jackson or Pete Harnish.   Veterans we can get on the cheap, but are probably better than the stiffs we have now.

and another message to Reds....You have done nothing but lose with Price and he is not the one. He is last place all the way....The only thing he has accomplished was his F bomb interview against the media, blaming the media for the Reds losing....No, he is the loser. ....Price needs to go also. .....I'm not seeing much good out of this new GM yet. When is he going to get with it.

I said at the time and caught flack for it, that drafting Yonder Alonzo as a #1 pick when they had just brought up Votto from the minors was a stupid draft pick....and I will say the same on this pick when they have Cozart.....What, the Reds don't have huge holes at other positions to fill, such as relief pitching and starting pitching which is just the worst pitching staff in baseball, The Worst......The Reds ownership is showing me no moves that will avoid Reds being in last place the next 5 years. They better get with it. 

I Hear ya.  They signed Homer instead of Cueto was not a good deal either.  However, They have been following this kid for months and really like him.  Like I said, they will trade Cozart and Bruce for pitching prospects.  Plus, the team has high hopes in Stephenson and the other young guns.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Well, it's just not happening......So they are going to trade their best players this year in Bruce and Cozart ?.....Should they trade Duvall also ?.......Oh yes, trade them while they are hot.......Just as people wanted Frazier and Cueto and Chapman traded....So I guess the deal is every time Reds get a good player, trade him......Keep the bums and trade the good players.....Right now Reed is getting killed.  All the Reds pitchers get killed......I can't even watch them. It's the 4th of July and I have to turn them off. They look like a minor league team.....

Again, this was a stupid move because they have Cozart, but they need pitching, they paid a ton of money for a shortstop that can not hit, and now they can't go after any more top international stars.....and you put it all together and it just makes no sense...I don't even want anybody to say the Reds know what they are doing. No, the Reds do NOT know what they are doing and why they are in last place.

So if the plan is to keep trading veteran players and start a minor league team in 2017, count me out.  I won't watch that garbage....All this hype about the good young Reds pitchers, I don't see it happening...The Reds would tell us that they are loaded up on young pitching. No, because their young pitchers stink to high heaven. Needing pitching, they spend all their money on a shortstop that can not hit.  That's just stupid.  This team is going nowhere.  I'm 61, and at this rate, the Reds will never be competitive again in my lifetime.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Living in Dayton, I can tell you that the low A pipeline is pretty dry. Help is definitely not on the way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:07 PM)kevin Wrote: Well, it's just not happening......So they are going to trade their best players this year in Bruce and Cozart ?.....Should they trade Duvall also ?.......Oh yes, trade them while they are hot.......Just as people wanted Frazier and Cueto and Chapman traded....So I guess the deal is every time Reds get a good player, trade him......Keep the bums and trade the good players.....Right now Reed is getting killed.  All the Reds pitchers get killed......I can't even watch them. It's the 4th of July and I have to turn them off. They look like a minor league team.....

Again, this was a stupid move because they have Cozart, but they need pitching, they paid a ton of money for a shortstop that can not hit, and now they can't go after any more top international stars.....and you put it all together and it just makes no sense...I don't even want anybody to say the Reds know what they are doing. No, the Reds do NOT know what they are doing and why they are in last place.

So if the plan is to keep trading veteran players and start a minor league team in 2017, count me out.  I won't watch that garbage....All this hype about the good young Reds pitchers, I don't see it happening...The Reds would tell us that they are loaded up on young pitching. No, because their young pitchers stink to high heaven. Needing pitching, they spend all their money on a shortstop that can not hit.  That's just stupid.  This team is going nowhere.  I'm 61, and at this rate, the Reds will never be competitive again in my lifetime.

You do realize that the Reds do have a cap limit they have to think about, right? One of the hardest thing to do in baseball is put together a team that will be competitive AND fit under our cap hit.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 11:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, the article I read said that he would be considered a 3rd to 6th round pick in the average MLB draft

And futher more, we apparently spent over our international bonus pool for the year (whatever the **** that means) and we'll now suffer some pretty hefty penalties and taxes for it.

I hope he's worth it. Because it appears as though this will hamstring their international presence which, for whatever reason, has been very strong for quite a few years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/reds-pay-costly-price-alfredo-rodriguez/#jBFRtj2vlRvFGkuP.97

The CBA lays out penalties for teams that exceed their allotted bonus pool amounts:
  • 0-5% overage: MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate.
  • 5-10% overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $500,000 during the following international signing period.
  • 10-15% overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following international signing period.
  • 15%+ overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following two international signing periods.
    If a club violates this rule and acquires more than 50% of its initial bonus pool total, MLB will reduce its initial bonus pool allocation to 150%. So if a club that was initially assigned a $2 million bonus pool acquired $2 million more in bonus pool money, MLB would reduce that club’s bonus pool by $1 million, leaving it with a $3 million bonus pool. (This paragraph was edited on February 18, 2016-CE)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
They overspent their international money on a shortstop who can't hit? One guy? And he can't hit?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
This link explains GM Williams thinking.
Larkin as it is implied by article liked him. Larkin will likely be managing Reds someday

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2016/07/04/reds-announce-deal-cuban-shortstop-alfredo-rodriguez/86686410/
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Im losing faith in Walt. This was a dumb move.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Can't say I understand the move when they need pitching in such an obvious, glaring way.

I'm sure they're still on pace to shatter the MLB home runs given up by a pitching staff in a season record.
Reply/Quote
The Reds don't need pitching. They need hitting. Bruce, Cozart and Duvall will all be gone by time the Reds contend again. Right now, we're looking at Votto, Winker, Suarez, Mesoraco, Peraza, Hamilton, Senzel and Barnhart as the only hitters you can probably project to be on the opening day 2018 roster.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2016, 05:27 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: The Reds don't need pitching.  They need hitting.  Bruce, Cozart and Duvall will all be gone by time the Reds contend again.  Right now, we're looking at Votto, Winker, Suarez, Mesoraco, Peraza, Hamilton, Senzel and Barnhart as the only hitters you can probably project to be on the opening day 2018 roster.

I don't think Duvall is going anywhere.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2016, 11:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't think Duvall is going anywhere.

We also can't guarantee that he'll repeat anything remotely close to what he's done this year. He was, after all, a below average prospect.

Honestly, I am almost inclined to think we should sell high on him. But we probably won't. And then he'll probably come back next year and hit .220/.240/.450 with 15 HR and 50 RBI haha.
Reply/Quote