Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 2016 draft
Here are the Cincinnati Reds' draft picks so far in the 2016 Major League Baseball draft:

First round (No. 2 overall): Nick Senzel, 3B, University of Tennessee. Senzel hit .352/.456/.595 with 8 HR in his junior season with the Vols

Competitive balance lottery round A (No. 35 overall): Taylor Trammell, OF, Mount Paran Christian School (Kennesaw, Ga.). While Trammell excelled on the baseball field at Mount Paran Christian School in Kennesaw, Ga., hitting .463 with nine homers and 29 stolen bases, he may have been even better in football.

Trammell, 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, was the state of Georgia’s Class A Offensive Player of the Year, rushing for 2,500 yards and 38 touchdowns in the state’s smallest classification.

Second round (No. 43 overall): Chris Okey, C, Clemson University. His slash was 330/.450/.577 with 44 walks and 50 strikeouts in 227 at-bats
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=nick-senzel

The draft wasn't really loaded with big stars at the top. But i like the pick. Hitting .350 where you walk more than K, I'll take it.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 09:32 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Here are the Cincinnati Reds' draft picks so far in the 2016 Major League Baseball draft:

First round (No. 2 overall): Nick Senzel, 3B, University of Tennessee. Senzel hit .352/.456/.595 with 8 HR in his junior season with the Vols

Senzel is a great story.  he could not even get a scholarship his freshman year with the Vols.  He played well his first two years, but really had a breakout season this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Senzel is a great story.  he could not even get a scholarship his freshman year with the Vols.  He played well his first two years, but really had a breakout season this year.

That he is. Cool thing is he's kind of a "toolsy" guy. He's played a few infield spots, has decent speed, BB/k%, and good enough power. Only thing i've heard he may need a little work on is his glove work. I'll take that.

Another really promising sign of this draft is they are targeting hitters. That we could use :-)
Reply/Quote
I don't follow much in terms of college or high school baseball so I don't know much about these players.

With the #2 pick, did we get an every day starter? I've read a lot of "This guy is average" type of reports.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 03:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't follow much in terms of college or high school baseball so I don't know much about these players.

With the #2 pick, did we get an every day starter? I've read a lot of "This guy is average" type of reports.

They say he's the most ready, but almost guarantee he'll play in AAA for a while. Most consistent knock I've heard on his was his glove. Hasn't spent a whole lot of time at 3rd - played some second and SS. So needs to learn a lot of the nuances of playing hot corner, if that's where they even plan to play him.

I think he can be a border line star if all goes well. Hope for best right?
Reply/Quote
Sounds like a great pick. Hopefully he doesn't have to spend years in MiLB and can be with the club sooner rather than later.
Leake came straight from college to start and never looked back.
Hopefully Senzel doesn't have to resort to shoplifting shirts like Leake did..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Sure hope Trammell signs with them. He's committed to play baseball and football at Georgia tech from what I've read.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 11:23 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They say he's the most ready, but almost guarantee he'll play in AAA for a while. Most consistent knock I've heard on his was his glove. Hasn't spent a whole lot of time at 3rd - played some second and SS. So needs to learn a lot of the nuances of playing hot corner, if that's where they even plan to play him.

Phillips is still signed through '17, but 2nd base could be our next opening in the infield.
Reply/Quote
According to the Reds site they've got a deal with Senzel to sign although it doesn't specifically say he's signed. Don't forget that at 2nd they still have Peraza waiting down in Louisville. 3rd is still a big question mark with Suarez hitting .231 on the season .

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Senzel will play third.  He has a pretty swing.  Reminds me of Griffey Jr. swing from right side. The knock on him is lack of power but some believe he has power.  

I was hoping for Hudson with 1b pick but Trammell is CF with good speed and will hit for average.  The knock on him is arm strength.  I think the Red's will trade Bruce and Winkler may be next for RF.  I don't know where Trammell will play if Hamilton keeps playing well.  

The catcher from Clemson is good defensively with average arm.  Baseball American thinks he will hit 260 average in MLB. I think Peraza will play second when Phillips leaves. I don't think they will trade Cozart so I don't know where Suarez will play. I know he is in a slump but he can hit.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2016, 03:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: According to the Reds site they've got a deal with Senzel to sign although it doesn't specifically say he's signed. 

Senzel signed for about million dollars below his slotted value in order to give the Reds a larger pool to sign their other picks.

I can't remember the exact numbers but got $6 million something and the slotted value would have been over $7 million.
Reply/Quote
I thought the Reds had a #1 pick 3rd baseman they got in the Chapman trade from the Yankees?

Eric Jagielo? How is he doing?...after looking at his 2016 stats...he is barely over the Mendoza line.
Reply/Quote
Funny thing about ball players.. a guy can be picked in the 74th round and end up winning the batting title or Cy Young award..or picked #1 overall and do exactly squat in the big leagues.. The same applies to football to a lesser degree. Baseball players are often considered pros just out of hs, sometimes long before they ever graduate. My grandfather was drafted at 15.. He never got to sign because his parents wanted him working for them, but he never made it passed 8th grade..

Reply/Quote