Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Acquire Travis Jankowski
From the Padres for International cap space. Thoughts?

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cincinnati-reds-acquire-outfielder-from-san-diego-padres/YuDsLapsHYBapWqbrLgtUM/?fbclid=IwAR2ZUyM9JWQtd5pXG00mIy_Ek8rN0ZXOlNXUMPSPN6lE1OhYkkyZ7Au_t_M
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
He has almost 900 AB’s and an OPS just over .600. He’s another AAAA outfielder added to the list. The dude can’t hit! Yippie
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 09:14 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He has almost 900 AB’s and an OPS just over .600. He’s another AAAA outfielder added to the list. The dude can’t hit! Yippie

I am not going to put any money on him being a good player, but before you write him off as hopeless consider this.

Adam Duval had a .576 OPS when we signed him and he had two 30 HR seasons for us and posted a .882 OPS for the Braves this year.

Eugenio Suarez had a .652 major league OPS when we signed him.

Jankowski also has some impressive minor league numbers.  At the AAA level he has a career .324 BA and .400+ OB%.

He hits lefthanded and has real good speed (62 stole bases in just 869 major league at bats).

Not a bad "fringe" pick up, but not near enough to fix the major problems we have on our roster.
Reply/Quote
It would take this guy 10 years to hit 30 HR’s, that will never be his game. He does have plus speed and good defense. He’s a cheaper Billy Hamilton. The team just doesn’t have enough plus hitters for this guy to get much play time. He could be a nice addition to a good hitting team. I always wish every player the best but they will need to add 2 more absolute mashers if they’re gonna play this guy much.
Reply/Quote
A late inning replacement maybe. That's how I'd use him.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 05:38 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It would take this guy 10 years to hit 30 HR’s, that will never be his game. He does have plus speed and good defense. He’s a cheaper Billy Hamilton. The team just doesn’t have enough plus hitters for this guy to get much play time. He could be a nice addition to a good hitting team. I always wish every player the best but they will need to add 2 more absolute mashers if they’re gonna play this guy much.

That's right !

If the Reds wanna be in the mix next season they have to get a lot, and I mean A LOT better production from the outfield. They have to find a couple top shelf players to make up for the most likely middle of the road 1B production. Like you call them, a truck load of AAAA players won't get it done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The best defensive CF on the team is a relief pitcher.

I'll take it.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
We never really know what kind of season any young player is going to have. The only metric we have to go by is past performance, but with young players past performance often means exactly zero.
All too often we see can't miss minor league players utterly flop in the big leagues and other times a guy who you even wonder how they ever made it to AAA make it to the bigs and just tear up the stats sheet.. When it comes to making a guess about young players we're probably better off not guessing.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 11:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: We never really know what kind of season any young player is going to have. The only metric we have to go by is past performance, but with young players past performance often means exactly zero.
All too often we see can't miss minor league players utterly flop in the big leagues and other times a guy who you even wonder how they ever made it to AAA make it to the bigs and just tear up the stats sheet.. When it comes to making a guess about young players we're probably better off not guessing.

You’re right to some degree. He has played in the bigs for 5 years now though and has put up an average around .240 with next to no power. It would be safer to expect those numbers than a .290 15HR guy. It doesn’t mean that it can’t happen but I definitely wouldn’t count on those better numbers.
Reply/Quote