Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reds Adapt To New CBA
With young players to be paid more in MLB, this effects teams like Reds, Rays, Athletics, Pirates who played Money Ball using more young low wage players than big money bag Yankees. Already we see The Rich getting Richer as teams like Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox are buying up Free Agents. THE REDS are not considering trying to keep Castellanos who looks headed to Phillies loading up fast.

Don't look for THE REDS to be major players in Free Agency now or any time soon. REDS OWNERS say they have to look to their long range future, and they can not even consider Castellanos at this time.

So look for THE REDS to take a wait and see look on how the New Collective Bargaining Agreement effects the Reds. How much more money are THE REDS going to have to pay out to young players ? As THE REDS try to find this out, they will not scrap their Minor League Teams as the Big City Teams have. The Reds will keep their Minor League Teams, and grab Minor League Players left out of work by the other teams already closing 40 Minor League Teams he last couple years. THE REDS and Rays are grabbing these young players up discarded by teams like Yankees. The reverse side is THE REDS will not be going after big name, big money veteran free agents. In fact, they may have a couple they would love to trade.

So PAYROLL just became a big question to THE REDS. Fans would love a huge payroll, but it's just not possible right now for THE REDS and many other teams. The Small Market Money Ball Teams need to wait for the smoke to clear, and see how they are going to keep their teams in business for decades to come. How to keep THE REDS in Cincinnati is now the most important thing. The New MLB CBA just BLEW UP the MONEY BALL MOVIE about how to field a team in Oakland and Cincinnati.

So REDS OWNERS already admit their future is not diving into this wide open Free Agent Market as the Rich Big City Teams are doing. Teams like THE REDS and the Rays have kept their Minor League teams and grabbed up young players from Rich Teams who have shut down most of their Minor League Teams. Of course paying young players more money will be a Payroll factor.

In 2022, Reds will field a team, and unlike some teams they will still field Minor League Teams. In 2022, do not look for THE REDS to dance wild in the Free agent waters. The Reds Owners have just said that they can't do that, and they have to look to the Future. How indeed do cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Oakland keep their teams for decades to come ? For now THE REDS will field a team, get out their math and budget experts, and try to see how the New CBA and New MLB effects THE REDS staying In Cincinnati for decades to come. It is right that THE REDS stay in Cincinnati.

So as New York, LA, Philadelphia and such gobble up Free Agents fast after the Lock Out and Before The Season, The REDS OWNERS admit they can not do the same. REDS OWNERS say they are looking years ahead, not just opening day of 2022. I do think that Cincinnati Ownership is doing the right thing. Cincinnati can not spend in baseball what New York spends. Trying to would kill The Reds and result in the Reds going out of business or moving to a bigger City. I do think Cincinnati Ownership is doing the right thing in looking years into the Future as Big City Teams gobble up expensive veteran Free Agents before Opening Day 2022. It may pay off well that THE REDS kept their Minor League Teams and some Big City Teams didn't.

That THE REDS kept their Minor League teams is great news to Fans of teams such as The Dayton Dragons who have SOLD OUT ALL THE SEATS ever since they started. These teams are indeed THE CINCINNATI REDS FUTURE that Reds Owners are looking years ahead to. Oakland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa will not give up on Money Ball to stay in business, but they will have to have their math and budget experts see how the New MLB CBA changed payroll as these teams go Forward. Surely Reds Fans have seen The Reds bring in Veterans such as Fernandez, Cameron, Scooter Gennett on THE CHEAP, knowing they would only be here while they were CHEAP to the Payroll. I'm sure the Reds will not be passing up any deals like these in The Future. It is MONEY BALL, and Cincinnati much like Oakland has to play it. We could say Bauer and Castallanos were here until they became too expensive, however Reds got lucky to escape the Bauer contract off field problems that came fast to LA, but LA could afford to eat that contract, Reds would have choked on it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It happened FAST after new MLB CBA.

Reds lose the payrolls of Castellano, Sonny Gray, Winker, Suarez. In return they get low money prospects.

Everybody on here is yelling for Bob To Sell The Team. They should be yelling at the owners of the super rich teams like New York Yankees and LA Dodgers, and they should be yelling at the Players Union. Cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Oakland just got The Shaft.

What Fans DON'T see is that Bob is restructuring to try to keep The Reds in Cincinnati for many more decades. Baseball wants to kill and wipe out teams like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Force them to move to bigger cities or just close all together.

THE GAME JUST CHANGED on this new Rich Owners and Rich Players Union Deal, and Cincinnati and Pittsburgh got The Shaft.

Sorry to see these players gone, but I told you all it was coming in my first post. Fans have to understand, this is NOT the NFL. In Baseball, every time there is a Players Strike or Lock Out and a New Collective Bargaining Agreement, it always sets teams like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh backwards. New York and LA don't give a damn about Cincinnati or if Cincinnati has The Reds.

You may not like it, but Bob is trying to do all he can to adjust to the brand new MLB CBA and keep The Reds in Cincinnati. As Reds owners have just said, they are forced to look at how to keep the Reds in Cincinnati for decades to come. They are forced to look to the Future and past 2022 season.

And to any who think Cincinnati should spend money like New York Yankees, you don't have a clue about economics or Pro Baseball as it has became since Reds glory decade of 1970's.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I just don't care about Baseball anymore. The league was already incredibly stilted to the point where many teams feel like minor league teams of other teams. There is no salary cap or salary floor and it shows in the contracts given out by the bigger teams, to the point where it feels like if a smaller team ever has success, they basically have until the end of their stars' rookie contracts to win a world series.

It's a stupid system and it seems like it's getting worse.

The thing that makes the NFL amazing is that every team spends up to the cap (or near the cap) basically by requirement, so whether you are successful or not is not how much money you spend, but how well you spend that money.

Whereas being successful in the MLB comes down to either spending more money than most other teams or having a Royals-esque perfect storm where all your prospects hit the majors at the same time and you go on a run with low cost super stars.

I've had this issue with baseball for years, but the Reds have at least tried to compete in this stilted system for the last 5 to 10 years (the Votto era) so they held my interest between football seasons.

But this fire sale is just disgusting and has made me lose all interest in baseball. I'll probably check in on them from time to time to see if they go on one of the aforementioned magical runs, but I think the Votto era is essentially dead and once he leaves the team, I expect them to go into a deep hibernation of non-competitiveness.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 06:33 AM)kevin Wrote: It happened FAST after new MLB CBA.

Reds lose the payrolls of Castellano, Sonny Gray, Winker, Suarez.  In return they get low money prospects.

Everybody on here is yelling for Bob To Sell The Team.  They should be yelling at the owners of the super rich teams like New York Yankees and LA Dodgers, and they should be yelling at the Players Union.   Cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Oakland just got The Shaft.  

What Fans DON'T see is that Bob is restructuring to try to keep The Reds in Cincinnati for many more decades.  Baseball wants to kill and wipe out teams like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.  Force them to move to bigger cities or just close all together.  

THE GAME JUST CHANGED on this new Rich Owners and Rich Players Union Deal, and Cincinnati and Pittsburgh got The Shaft.

Sorry to see these players gone, but I told you all it was coming in my first post.  Fans have to understand, this is NOT the NFL.  In Baseball, every time there is a Players Strike or Lock Out and a New Collective Bargaining Agreement, it always sets teams like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh backwards.  New York and LA don't give a damn about Cincinnati or if Cincinnati has The Reds.  

You may not like it, but Bob is trying to do all he can to adjust to the brand new MLB CBA and keep The Reds in Cincinnati.  As Reds owners have just said, they are forced to look at how to keep the Reds in Cincinnati for decades to come. They are forced to look to the Future and past 2022 season.

And to any who think Cincinnati should spend money like New York Yankees, you don't have a clue about economics or Pro Baseball as it has became since Reds glory decade of 1970's.

Why keep the team here if it's so hard for poor Bob, anyway? Get the hell out with this sad shit show.  Why would any fan base want to repeat that cycle in and endless loop.  Let me tell you who.  Bob and co, that's who.  Why?  Because the Reds are a cash machine for him.  He'll make money whether the stadium is full or it get less than 5k in the seats per night.  

Bon doesn't suck because of the mean old CBA.  He sucks because he hires in-house stooges like Krall to run the team that aren't even close to being smart enough to operate in the typical, low-budget moneyball template.  

GABP is nothing but a place for people to drink beer and eat s'mores fries until the end of July when Burrow and the boys come back to town for camp and provide a real entertainment product that's worth supporting.  
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 03:36 PM)samhain Wrote: Why keep the team here if it's so hard for poor Bob, anyway? Get the hell out with this sad shit show.  Why would any fan base want to repeat that cycle in and endless loop.  Let me tell you who.  Bob and co, that's who.  Why?  Because the Reds are a cash machine for him.  He'll make money whether the stadium is full or it get less than 5k in the seats per night.  

Bon doesn't suck because of the mean old CBA.  He sucks because he hires in-house stooges like Krall to run the team that aren't even close to being smart enough to operate in the typical, low-budget moneyball template.  

GABP is nothing but a place for people to drink beer and eat s'mores fries until the end of July when Burrow and the boys come back to town for camp and provide a real entertainment product that's worth supporting.  

Couldn’t have said it better myself!
Reply/Quote