Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Add Connor Joe in Rule 5
He was a 1st round pick by Pirates in 2014. Reds just grabbed him off Dodgers in Rule 5. Reds have to keep him on 25 man roster all season or offer him back to Dodgers. Since he can hit and plays Catcher, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OF the Reds could use him all season as the 25th man for do everything utility, pinch hitting, getting some starts in relieving regulars. It's a good steal from Dodgers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I like that move better than trading for Roark.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 05:30 PM)kevin Wrote: He was a 1st round pick by Pirates in 2014.  Reds just grabbed him off Dodgers in Rule 5.  Reds have to keep him on 25 man roster all season or offer him back to Dodgers. Since he can hit and plays 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OF the Reds could use him all season as the 25th man for do everything utility, pinch hitting, getting some starts in relieving regulars.   It's a good steal from Dodgers.

Good deal if he pans out. If not the Reds aren't out much. It's certainly not like having Bailey hanging on the payroll for a gazillion bucks to be the batting practice dummy..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice snag!
Reply/Quote
So I guess I'm not the only one who drops by the Reds website hoping to read about the big blockbuster trade only to read about the paint peeling at GABP day by day...week by week..year by year ... Come to think about it that seems to be a Cincinnati theme..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 08:17 AM)grampahol Wrote: So I guess I'm not the only one who drops by the Reds website hoping to read about the big blockbuster trade only to read about the paint peeling at GABP day by day...week by week..year by year ... Come to think about it that seems to be a Cincinnati theme..

I wish that there would be more people on here discussing the Reds. It’s still really early as far as making baseball moves. I did like the Roark move but there needs to be 2 more starters and a CF added if the Reds are serious about contending. Right now, that are about a 70 win team. I bet they’ll add 1 more starter and a mediocre outfielder and that only gets them to a .500 team. This offseason will prove how serious ownership is about winning. Players are there to be added. I look for ownership to only go half in, it would be nice to be wrong!
Reply/Quote
This sets the stage to trade Scooter for pitching.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 03:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wish that there would be more people on here discussing the Reds. It’s still really early as far as making baseball moves. I did like the Roark move but there needs to be 2 more starters and a CF added if the Reds are serious about contending. Right now, that are about a 70 win team. I bet they’ll add 1 more starter and a mediocre outfielder and that only gets them to a .500 team. This offseason will prove how serious ownership is about winning. Players are there to be added. I look for ownership to only go half in, it would be nice to be wrong!

This is what I think as well. They'll nibble around the edges and that's about it.
Reply/Quote
I am not sure if this would be enough but I think the Reds snag Sonny Gray. I think they are posturing for this trade. I do not think they are in serious run with Kluber.

Rumor is they are looking at Matt Kemp for OF because L.A. needs luxury tax space and Dodgers may take Homer Baily for Kemp and Alex Wood (P) . I cannot see any team wanting Baily for any reason plus Kemp is 34 years of age with a hefty salary. But the Reds are in the rumor mill every day for posturing. They have eyes on 2-3 key players but it is anyone's guess who they are for real.

What worries me is that Trammell's name has showed up as part of a trade piece. I hope not. The Reds need two starting pitchers and CF.

Pollock's name has surfaced but he is injury prone. I believe he was an all-star CF in 2015. His career average is .281 but was .257 BA in 2018 with Diamondbacks. I hope they do not sign Pollock personally.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 06:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is what I think as well. They'll nibble around the edges and that's about it.

That’s what I believe too. I think that they will go halfway on player addiction and all out with PR.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 10:34 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: That’s what I believe too. I think that they will go halfway on player addiction and all out with PR.

Yep,

They're not gonna make any big waves until the Bailey FUBAR is over.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 03:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wish that there would be more people on here discussing the Reds. It’s still really early as far as making baseball moves. I did like the Roark move but there needs to be 2 more starters and a CF added if the Reds are serious about contending. Right now, that are about a 70 win team. I bet they’ll add 1 more starter and a mediocre outfielder and that only gets them to a .500 team. This offseason will prove how serious ownership is about winning. Players are there to be added. I look for ownership to only go half in, it would be nice to be wrong!

Go back and look at the majority of teams that are consistent winners. They all get most of their players thru their farm system. Ours is coming around, but there's no reason to go all in on a few players when we're not even there with the farm system. Wait til we are closer to a pennant.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 10:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

It’s over!
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 10:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

It's over!

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-dodgers-finalizing-multiple-player-blockbuster-trade/hIs8EXFjoz2Nx3RLnycH8N/?fbclid=IwAR0E_hxJJuBvixtuL-rgMgBfDZiZanvFOeSHbbWZSXe-y_LiUDQF0B4s-E0

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's over!

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-dodgers-finalizing-multiple-player-blockbuster-trade/hIs8EXFjoz2Nx3RLnycH8N/?fbclid=IwAR0E_hxJJuBvixtuL-rgMgBfDZiZanvFOeSHbbWZSXe-y_LiUDQF0B4s-E0

Reds stole that deal big time! 
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 07:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s over!

(12-21-2018, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's over!

Saweeeeeet !

Some of the better sports news I've heard in awhile.
Reply/Quote
Nobody is going to say anything about Sunset plagiarizing me? Right down to the punctuation?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 02:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nobody is going to say anything about Sunset plagiarizing me?  Right down to the punctuation?

That dirty rat fink !
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 02:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nobody is going to say anything about Sunset plagiarizing me?  Right down to the punctuation?

Lol, I was probably reading the article attached in the link, and didn't even realize you posted the same thing!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote