Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds willing to discuss trading Castillo
Thread title pretty much sums it up.

Story was on local news as well as here:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/reds-willing-to-discuss-luis-castillo-in-trade-talks.html

Welcome to the rebuild again.... Sick

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’d hate to see him go but if we can get a good return for him (everyday SS and a middle reliever for instance) I’d concider it. Greene and Lodolo are probably ready. Castillo had a rough first half this past season. I was wondering if he was hurt. If maybe he tinkered with something in his delivery. Or if he flat out just didn’t care to play for this team anymore. But he turned it around mostly in the second half. His record was bad but he’s a plus pitcher with a history of good play, so maybe 2021 was just an anomaly. I just hope, if they DO trade him, we don’t get Johnny Cueto’d again.
Reply/Quote
Lodolo and Greene coming soon.

They shouldn't get Cueto'd with two more years of control on Castillo's contract. This could be a good way to fill up some holes.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 04:24 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Thread title pretty much sums it up.

Story was on local news as well as here:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/reds-willing-to-discuss-luis-castillo-in-trade-talks.html

Welcome to the rebuild again....  Sick

I posted that The Reds announced the day after the regular season that Their Main Focus Is Dumping Payroll.  

Reds say they have to due to money losses, and I can see that.  2020 of only a 2 month season and cardboard fans, and no minor league money at all, Yes, small market Cincinnati took a beating on that money wise. 

If it were me, I would try to dump The Votto Contract to any sucker willing to pick it up.  I wouldn't even want players in return.  The Votto Contract is the Anchor holding this team back, and there is still 3 or 4 more years of it.  

But they won't dump Votto, so we wave good bye to Castellanos and others, as we have waved good bye to good players every year so Reds can pay The Votto Contract.  

The fastest way to dump payroll, is to dump Votto, it's not rocket science, but he will be here until his monster MVP contract of many years runs out in 2025. He is to Reds what Pujols became to Angels, a lot of money that could be used to pay many other players. 

Again I say, the Reds need to be more like Tampa Rays who never get into Votto or Pujols type contracts, and yet they beat the Yankees and Red Sox with half the payroll.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't disagree with moving him, but I don't like Nick Krall being the guy that's charged with getting a return for such a valuable piece. He's a garbage baseball executive that's ripe for the fleecing and his uber-anxiety about the payroll makes me think he's going to do something moronic. By moronic, I mean trade him for a minimal return in exchange for some team eating Suarez or Moustakas' salaries. They need talent in return if they move Castillo, because they are apparently looking to rebuild again.

FWIW, if they're going to move all these key players, why not toss Winker's name out there? They aren't going to compete for the division and Winker is going to be very expensive when it comes time to pony up. Get something for him while he's a hot commodity and come out of the winter with a farm system that's teeming with high-end, controllable talent.
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds missed their opportunity to go all in and win a championship. Look what the Braves did with key injuries mid season. I have no beef trading any player on the roster and hope it brings a good return. Maybe a Joe Morgan trade return? lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 07:54 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Lodolo and Greene coming soon.

They shouldn't get Cueto'd with two more years of control on Castillo's contract. This could be a good way to fill up some holes.

Both are at least a year away.  Greene is still on short innings limits and Lodolo cant stay healthy.  2023 more than likely. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 10:46 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't disagree with moving him, but I don't like Nick Krall being the guy that's charged with getting a return for such a valuable piece.  He's a garbage baseball executive that's ripe for the fleecing and his uber-anxiety about the payroll makes me think he's going to do something moronic.  By moronic, I mean trade him for a minimal return in exchange for some team eating Suarez or Moustakas' salaries.  They need talent in return if they move Castillo, because they are apparently looking to rebuild again.

FWIW, if they're going to move all these key players, why not toss Winker's name out there?  They aren't going to compete for the division and Winker is going to be very expensive when it comes time to pony up.  Get something for him while he's a hot commodity and come out of the winter with a farm system that's teeming with high-end, controllable talent.

Had the Reds been able to keep Miley, I 100% trade Castillo.  Castillo has proven that he is a #3 at best, cant pitch well to mid June, and just isnt going to be a top tier pitcher.  Its going to cost more than he is worth to resign him, so get what you can now for him.  

On Winker, I dont think he has much value, he cant play more than half a season.  Maybe an AL team looking for a cheaper DH.  I do agree with you he is going to be to expensive to resign, so best to get something for him. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 01:57 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think the Reds missed their opportunity to go all in and win a championship. Look what the Braves did with key injuries mid season. I have no beef trading any player on the roster and hope it brings a good return. Maybe a Joe Morgan trade return? lol

I disagree, I think they did what they needed to for 2020, the players just failed to preform.  (most of those same players didnt preform well in 2021 either.)  Reds will never have a long run of playing for a championship, it will be having enough young pieces to get 1 or 2 players and get the lightning in the bottle to win. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 04:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Had the Reds been able to keep Miley, I 100% trade Castillo.  Castillo has proven that he is a #3 at best, cant pitch well to mid June, and just isnt going to be a top tier pitcher.  Its going to cost more than he is worth to resign him, so get what you can now for him.  

On Winker, I dont think he has much value, he cant play more than half a season.  Maybe an AL team looking for a cheaper DH.  I do agree with you he is going to be to expensive to resign, so best to get something for him. 

Castillo is at least a number 2.  He's a solid one without the rocky start.  Plus he's 28 with virtually no injury history and 2 years left at a manageable salary.  That's a guy that someone will pay for.  Rumor is the Mariners are interested, and that farm system is juiced to the gills.  

I think Winker's offensive value is going to get them something useful.  My view on their next year of any real possibility of contending is 2024.  Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft should all be in the majors by then, and the salaries of Votto, Suarez, and Moustakas will all be off the books.  Winker will have one year left on his deal by then, which is only going to go up with each year of arbitration.  

If they aren't going to be serious about winning this year, then there's no reason not to dump any player that can get value in return.  Winker, Castillo, maybe a ham sandwich for Gray.  Anyone not names Stephenson or India should be up for discussion.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 06:10 PM)samhain Wrote: Castillo is at least a number 2.  He's a solid one without the rocky start.  Plus he's 28 with virtually no injury history and 2 years left at a manageable salary.  That's a guy that someone will pay for.  Rumor is the Mariners are interested, and that farm system is juiced to the gills.  

I think Winker's offensive value is going to get them something useful.  My view on their next year of any real possibility of contending is 2024.  Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft should all be in the majors by then, and the salaries of Votto, Suarez, and Moustakas will all be off the books.  Winker will have one year left on his deal by then, which is only going to go up with each year of arbitration.  

If they aren't going to be serious about winning this year, then there's no reason not to dump any player that can get value in return.  Winker, Castillo, maybe a ham sandwich for Gray.  Anyone not names Stephenson or India should be up for discussion.

Disagree Castillo is a #2.  He is just too inconsistent, at this point in his career.  I don't think its worth it to resign him for what the market will ask for him, so now is the time to trade him. 

I do agree that 2022 is not a year in which they will be a playoff type team.  Unless its a complete redo of the roster, and I dont think that is needed either, it is just a year they need to ride out.  The pieces they have have proven they are not playoff caliber.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 03:20 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Disagree Castillo is a #2.  He is just too inconsistent, at this point in his career.  I don't think its worth it to resign him for what the market will ask for him, so now is the time to trade him. 

I do agree that 2022 is not a year in which they will be a playoff type team.  Unless its a complete redo of the roster, and I dont think that is needed either, it is just a year they need to ride out.  The pieces they have have proven they are not playoff caliber.

Agree about not paying Castillo and it being the time to trade him.  I think it will happen.  I hope they don't get fleeced like they did in the Cueto deal.
Reply/Quote