Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 16th to August 31st Games Thread
Gray and Reds had the lead and Iglesias didn't do his job in the 9th. Yes, Iglesias had 30 some saves in 2019, but also had an ERA of over 4.00 which is high for a Closer, and Lorenzen was tried at Closer in 2019. So blowing saves is becoming standard for Iglesias. So far in 2020, he is not that good. It is time to demote Iglesias again and try someone else as Closer.

That is one game. There are 3 more with Cardinals. Reds need better outings from Disco, Miley, Mahle if they intend to win 2 or 3 games. In a short season, if Cardinals sweep Reds, it is bad news on trying to finish 2nd or 3rd place play-off hopes.

In Fantasy I added and dropped Iglesias lately. There just isn't room to keep him and others are leaving him a free agent also. Then there is Castillo. I should drop him. I hang on to him and drop better pitchers, but he needs to get it together fast.

So if all Reds have is Gray and Bauer, that isn't enough. Castillo and Iglesias are not very good so far, and that is bad news for Reds. The bunch of Disco, Miley, Mahle need to be as Johnny Bench commercial next 3 days in " NO STINK ". Somebody besides Iglesias and Lorenzen needs moved into the Closer spot NOW, due to short season. I'll tell you, changing Closers is basic. Most have 1 or 2 good years and just fizzle out. Very few have long careers as Closers. You look around MLB, teams change Closers a lot. Iglesias has earned a demotion. Someone else needs to Close next Reds Save type game. In 2019 and 2020, Iglesias is one of the worst Closers in MLB, blowing too many games, most teams would have replaced him at Closer by now.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:46 AM)kevin Wrote: Gray and Reds had the lead and Iglesias didn't do his job in the 9th.  Yes, Iglesias had 30 some saves in 2019, but also had an ERA of over 4.00 which is high for a Closer, and Lorenzen was tried at Closer in 2019.   So blowing saves is becoming standard for Iglesias.  So far in 2020, he is not that good.  It is time to demote Iglesias again and try someone else as Closer.

That is one game.  There are 3 more with Cardinals.  Reds need better outings from Disco, Miley, Mahle if they intend to win 2 or 3 games.  In a short season, if Cardinals sweep Reds, it is bad news on trying to finish 2nd or 3rd place play-off hopes.

In Fantasy I added and dropped Iglesias lately. There just isn't room to keep him and others are leaving him a free agent also.   Then there is Castillo.  I should drop him. I hang on to him and drop better pitchers, but he needs to get it together fast.  

So if all Reds have is Gray and Bauer, that isn't enough.  Castillo and Iglesias are not very good so far, and that is bad news for Reds.  The bunch of Disco, Miley, Mahle need to be as Johnny Bench commercial next 3 days in " NO STINK ".  Somebody besides Iglesias and Lorenzen needs moved into the Closer spot NOW, due to short season.  I'll tell you, changing Closers is basic.  Most have 1 or 2 good years and just fizzle out.  Very few have long careers as Closers.  You look around MLB, teams change Closers a lot.  Iglesias has earned a demotion.  Someone else needs to Close next Reds Save type game.  In 2019 and 2020, Iglesias is one of the worst Closers in MLB, blowing too many games, most teams would have replaced him at Closer by now.

Yep

Iglesias and Lorenzen have to traded, released, sent down, at a minimum moved to middle relief. Neither is consistent enough to be used late. There's not any room for recovery now, AT ALL.

In order for the Reds to have much of a chance they need to win 35 games +. That means they have to go 25-12 or probably better from here on out. There's like 9 teams with less looses than them. 

Frankly I don't think they have much of a chance, they've already dug to big a hole. If they don't take these next 3 against the Cards it's gonna just be to much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
These type of losses are always like a kick in the nuts, but to me the Cards are like the Steelers. It hurts even worse losing to them.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 09:52 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Iglesias and Lorenzen have to traded, released, sent down, at a minimum moved to middle relief. Neither is consistent enough to be used late. There's not any room for recovery now, AT ALL.

In order for the Reds to have much of a chance they need to win 35 games +. That means they have to go 25-12 or probably better from here on out. There's like 9 teams with less looses than them. 

Frankly I don't think they have much of a chance, they've already dug to big a hole. If they don't take these next 3 against the Cards it's gonna just be to much.

I do not know how many Reds need to win to finish 2nd or 3rd in NL Central to get into play-offs,   I do know Reds better take at least 2 of the next 3 this weekend.  

How is Garrett this year and is it maybe his turn to be Reds Closer. I don't want to hear that Lefty set up garbage.  A lot of Leftys have been Closers on teams. It is time for Bell to shake things up.  Has anybody read The Long Season of 1961 Reds as per a bullpen pitcher.  Manager Hutchinson used who was Hot and he expected outs. If a bullpen guy didn't get the first batter or 2 out. Hutch took them out fast.  His quick hook and going with who's Hot got Reds to World Series.   Right now, Iglesias and Lorenezen are Cold and would be way down the bench in Hutch dog house.  Garrett would be getting Closing chances and if he lets 2 batters on, Hutch would get the quick hook on him.  The idea in the book is everybody has to fight every game for a good spot in bullpen,  and the cream rises to the top. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Our regular starting players not named Winker have a combined batting average of .224
Reply/Quote
VanMeter now at .059.
Reply/Quote
So Disco and now Lorenzen have walked bases loaded, great.
Reply/Quote
How about Matt Davidson!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey something to cheer about Wink

Now if Bell will just keep Iglesias out of the game.
Reply/Quote
So, Reds come back with a win. Still, Reds need to win 1 or 2 more against Cardinals this weekend.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hey something to cheer about Wink

Now if Bell will just keep Iglesias out of the game.

Well he didn’t, but closer Iggy showed up tonight. He’s such a stereotype closer. Save situation, lights out. Non-save situation, can’t throw a strike.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 12:38 AM)kevin Wrote: So, Reds come back with a win. Still, Reds need to win 1 or 2 more against Cardinals this weekend.

They need to go on a streak of 5 or 6 straight to get back in this thing.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 01:15 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well he didn’t, but closer Iggy showed up tonight. He’s such a stereotype closer. Save situation, lights out. Non-save situation, can’t throw a strike.

He hasn't been lights out in save situations.  Nobody has blown more saves over 2019 and 2020 than he has in all of baseball. So he blew it Thursday and got a save Friday, and that is not lights out.   Would it help Reds if he lowered his 7 runs a game ERA and became more consistent in winning games, YES. 

I also have to add Reds do not have to go on huge winning streak and I wish people would forget about the Cubs way out in front.  Reds need to finish in 2nd or 3rd for play-offs in Covid 2020.  That means Brewers and Cardinals with Pirates in last place.  Reds were in 2nd before Saturday Covid suspension. When Reds came back Wednesday, they were in 4th.  So right now, the Reds need to win 1 or 2 more from Cardinals.  This means Mahle and Miley will have to step it up also.  If Reds get 2 wins out of Mahle AND Miley, now THAT will be Amazing.  Winning 1 of the 2 would get Reds a split with St Louis.  

So one game at a time, one series at a time,  Reds are chasing Brewers and Cardinals, not Cubs.  2nd place is in play-offs.  2 of 3 NL Teams in 3rd will be in play-offs.  Reds are chasing Cardinals and Brewers, not Cubs.  Once in play-offs the Cubs go back to even with whoever in 2nd or 3rd.  I was on a Little League that won season but lost play-offs. Once play-offs begin, it's a whole new season. Reds do need to move up on Brewers and Cardinals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 01:16 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: They need to go on a streak of 5 or 6 straight to get back in this thing.

Badly !

They need like a 10-2 run
Reply/Quote
The Reds have 4 BIG problems,

1. Wade Miley - He's 0-3 with a 9.72 ERA He's given up 13 hits and 10 runs in 8 innings. They can't keep running this guy out there to get rocked.

2. Luis Castillo - He's 0-3 with a 4.44 ERA. His fall started around All Star break last year and he's really never recovered. In 26 innings he's given up 30 hits, teams are batting .278 against him. If he can't turn this around it's gonna hurt !

3. Michael Lorenzen - He's pitched 10 innings in 9 games and has an 8.71 ERA to show for it. He's giving up a hit per inning. He's just way, way to inconsistent but Bell seems determined to keep plugging him in.

4. Raisel Iglesias - He has been hit with 2 loses in these 25 games. IIRC he had 12 loses last year which tied a closer record ! 6.75 ERA which is just crazy for someone considered a closer.

Even if the Reds somehow back into the playoffs they have little chance unless these guys have a major turnaround or Bell quits sending them out there.
Reply/Quote
Today is a MUST WIN for Reds. If they Win, they get out of St Louis with a split. If they lose, they lose series to Cardinals. The split they can live with. A series loss knocks Reds farther back. Getting closer to September in this short season. Today is a MUST WIN for Reds.

Is Moose out again, and is this guy ever going to play. I see he wasn't in there as Reds got shut out Saturday. Saturday was not Miley giving up 3 runs, it was Reds weak, weak bats scoring NO RUNS.

Reds had Puig doing good and trade for Bauer. Then Aquino did great but Reds have decided to play all the weak bats but him. Then there is Stephenson. Reds are holding him back, but in September maybe they need to get Stephenson in here. They need to do something, because this team can't hit.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Votto's WAR continues to slip

2018 he was down to 3.5
2019 he was at 1.6
2020 so far he is at -.3

This covers approx. His last 1100 at bats

Still owe him 25 mil a year for 3 years with a buy out option of 7 mil in 2024
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 04:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Reds have 4 BIG problems,

1. Wade Miley - He's 0-3 with a 9.72 ERA He's given up 13 hits and 10 runs in 8 innings. They can't keep running this guy out there to get rocked.

2. Luis Castillo - He's 0-3 with a 4.44 ERA. His fall started around All Star break last year and he's really never recovered. In 26 innings he's given up 30 hits, teams are batting .278 against him. If he can't turn this around it's gonna hurt !

3. Michael Lorenzen - He's pitched 10 innings in 9 games and has an 8.71 ERA to show for it. He's giving up a hit per inning. He's just way, way to inconsistent but Bell seems determined to keep plugging him in.

4. Raisel Iglesias - He has been hit with 2 loses in these 25 games. IIRC he had 12 loses last year which tied a closer record ! 6.75 ERA which is just crazy for someone considered a closer.

Even if the Reds somehow back into the playoffs they have little chance unless these guys have a major turnaround or Bell quits sending them out there.

That’s all pitching. They aren’t hitting right now either.
Reply/Quote
2-0 Reds after 1 inning. So Reds off to a good start. They NEED this game to pick up the split. NEED is the right word. Huge Game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds lost lead fast. Now 3 to 2 top of 6th. Reds playing catch up now. No runs They need good bullpen and Reds to score in 7th to 9th.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote