Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 1st to 15th Games Thread
Votto comes up huge in the 10th. Nice win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
See, Votto? This is the kind of stuff that happens when you're aggressive at the plate instead of nibbling and practicing your "foul off" technique. Well done, sir.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
That was Joey Votto doing what he use to do a few years ago. Votto has found the fountain of youth so far in 2020 and Reds could use a good Votto much like We Are Family 1979 Pirates with good year from POPS Willie Stargell at 1st base. Votto stepped up in extra innings and his walk off win hit bounced off the top of the fence, almost a walk off homer to deepest part of outfield.

Now, Win the Series from Royals. I'm trying to remember it's the Royals because Fox Ohio had on hockey most of the night. The thing is the same hockey game was on ESPN or some other National channel. The Reds would have been on a National channel also but it was blacked out in Dayton / Springfield Ohio because Fox Ohio has Reds. So we got Toronto Blue Jays as Fox Ohio and a National Channel both showed hockey in August. Nothing is worse than hockey in August. Hopefully in future if National TV is covering the hockey play-off, they should at least let Reds have one channel on local Fox Ohio since no fans in stands. They did switch over late in game to see Votto hit.

GO REDS, WIN THE SERIES
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 09:55 AM)kevin Wrote: That was Joey Votto doing what he use to do a few years ago. Votto has found the fountain of youth so far in 2020 and Reds could use a good Votto much like We Are Family 1979 Pirates with good year from POPS Willie Stargell at 1st base. Votto stepped up in extra innings and his walk off win hit bounced off the top of the fence, almost a walk off homer to deepest part of outfield.

Now, Win the Series from Royals. I'm trying to remember it's the Royals because Fox Ohio had on hockey most of the night. The thing is the same hockey game was on ESPN or some other National channel. The Reds would have been on a National channel also but it was blacked out in Dayton / Springfield Ohio because Fox Ohio has Reds. So we got Toronto Blue Jays as Fox Ohio and a National Channel both showed hockey in August. Nothing is worse than hockey in August. Hopefully in future if National TV is covering the hockey play-off, they should at least let Reds have one channel on local Fox Ohio since no fans in stands. They did switch over late in game to see Votto hit.

GO REDS, WIN THE SERIES

There’s blackout restrictions. People in this area can’t watch the Blue Jackets on another channel, it’s blacked out. And I can see why a 5 OT playoff hockey game would take precedence over an early regular season baseball game.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How about that bullpen...

Garrett was about the only reliever who had been pitching well before this game.

But we have to do something about this bullpen.  I hate to blame it all on the coaches because they are the same coaches that are getting incredible pitching from our starters.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: See, Votto? This is the kind of stuff that happens when you're aggressive at the plate instead of nibbling and practicing your "foul off" technique. Well done, sir.

Votto did not change anything about his technique.  He still waits for a good pitch to hit.  That is why he has had such an incredible career.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: See, Votto? This is the kind of stuff that happens when you're aggressive at the plate instead of nibbling and practicing your "foul off" technique. Well done, sir.

Votto actually has a few clutch hits in these 3 weeks or whatever. Somebody must have convinced him he needed to start helping the team instead of keeping his on base % up with walks.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 03:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto actually has a few clutch hits in these 3 weeks or whatever. Somebody must have convinced him he needed to start helping the team instead of keeping his on base % up with walks.

I am stunned that so few of you have watched Votto throughout his career.

For example Votto had 134 walks and led the NL in on-base percentage in 2017 when he hit 36 HR and was #2 in MVP voting.

He drew 143 walks and led the league in on-base percentage in 2015 when he hit 29 HRs and finished #3 in MVP voting.

Votto has always waited on good pitches to hit.  The idea that he stopped wanting to "help the team" is absurd.
Reply/Quote
I have watched Votto take pitches right down the middle early in the count for years. Half the time, he’s already dragging dirt with his feet and looking down before the pitch is even to the plate because it appears that he made up his mind in the on deck circle that he’s not swinging at anything until he has to. This is the first time in years that he has showed any form of consistency with his aggressive approach early in the count. I’m surprised you haven’t noticed.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:20 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I have watched Votto take pitches right down the middle early in the count for years.

Exactly.

He was doing it all those years he was winning or finishing in the top 3 in MVP voting.  Except no one accused him of "not wanting to help the team" back then.  It is a big reason he has had such a great career as a hitter.
Reply/Quote
Wade Miley pitching tonight. Hope he got himself right.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Miley looking like a bust of a signing. Maybe he’d be good in the bullpen.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am stunned that so few of you have watched Votto throughout his career.

I do watch and you appear to just read his stats

Votto has always waited on good pitches to hit. 

(08-12-2020, 05:20 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I have watched Votto take pitches right down the middle early in the count for years. Half the time, he’s already dragging dirt with his feet and looking down before the pitch is even to the plate because it appears that he made up his mind in the on deck circle that he’s not swinging at anything until he has to. This is the first time in years that he has showed any form of consistency with his aggressive approach early in the count. I’m surprised you haven’t noticed.

(08-12-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.

He was doing it all those years he was winning or finishing in the top 3 in MVP voting.  Except no one accused him of "not wanting to help the team" back then.  It is a big reason he has had such a great career as a hitter.
Exactly? 
You said he waits on good pitches to hit.
I mention seeing him taking good pitches and only swinging when he has to until recently and your answer is exactly? Unless you're saying "Exactly . . . I haven't noticed" to which I agree.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Watching the MLB coverage of the Reds game with the KC play by play and they mentioned this. Brad Keller, the starting pitcher tonight, was drafted by the Reds in the rule 5 draft a few years ago and in a pre-draft agreement, the Reds promptly traded him to KC for a player to be named later or cash.

He has started the season with 5 scoreless innings and had 6 scoreless innings tonight.

Quite the bomb by Winker. He was all over that.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Well this got interesting fast.

Barnhardt may have peeked. He looks more lost at the plate now than he did as a rookie.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
So Reds took series from Brewers, Split with Royals. Now comes 4 games with Pirates. So Reds have played 3 AL teams already. Going to see more NL Central action from here on out in play-off head to heads. Disco on the mound tonight. Win this Pittsburgh series.

So Disco, Bauer, Gray, Castillo against Pirates. WIN THE SERIES.

Remember that 2nd place in play-offs. 2 of the 3 teams in 3rd place go play-offs. So Reds in play-off picture, but division teams like the Pirates want that play-off spot also. Reds played Cubs, Brewers. I don't think they have played Pirates or Cardinals yet. Pittsburgh is a big series.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Pirates have only won 3 games so far...

They need to sweep this series. No excuses.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 08:59 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Exactly? 
You said he waits on good pitches to hit.
I mention seeing him taking good pitches and only swinging when he has to until recently and your answer is exactly? Unless you're saying "Exactly . . . I haven't noticed" to which I agree.

So you are saying Votto has not been taking strikes this year? 

I am saying i have not seen a difference.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 10:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pirates have only won 3 games so far...

They need to sweep this series. No excuses.

Yes sir !

I had fairly high hopes this team had a shot at being in the thick of it, whatever it is this season ? But those hopes are fading fast. They'll be a the half way mark in no time. They have to sweep the Pirates to have much chance of getting back in the fight.
Reply/Quote
Well so much for he sweep. Disco gives up 9 runs in the first 2 innings.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote