Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August games thread
(08-14-2022, 02:34 AM)cinci4life Wrote: He needs to lay off that down and away pitch. He swings at it every damn time.

Yea, that's the trend I've seen with him too. He can't stop chasing that pitch, especially when it's a breaking ball. If Votto could just teach him how to recognize a slider, I think he could be a really good hitter. And he's already got really good defense, as evidenced by that throw out at the plate last night.
Reply/Quote
Reds play the Phillies tonight. Minor is pitching so I expect another loss. Hope I'm wrong.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:16 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Appears India is back in the lineup tonight.

And he's been scratched from the lineup.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:22 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Minor is pitching so I expect another loss. 

It will just be a Minor loss.
Reply/Quote
They need to drop Minor now. 1-10 record should be bad enough for any SP to lose their job.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 10:47 PM)cinci4life Wrote: They need to drop Minor now. 1-10 record should be bad enough for any SP to lose their job.

I see your point but Luis Castillo was only 4-4 with this pathetic franchise before Drury, Naquin and Pham were traded. He's had 7 straight quality starts, 3 of those against the Yankees and faces off against Ohtani tonight. Tyler Mahle was 4-7. Hunter Greene is 4-12

Minor's pitching has been better lately but with this weak offense, that means nothing. They already have 4 rookie starters, no need to make it 5. As lame as he seems, those rookies need a veteran on the staff. If they decide to let Conner Overton pitch in September, Minor will most likely be moved to the bullpen or DFA'd.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Reds thumped 11-4 tonight. Nice dogs at the park. Reds giving up too many homers.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Reds salvage a 1-0 win today on a walk off single from Barrero of all people. It also appears Votto's season is over as he will have surgery on his rotator cuff.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/joey-votto-to-undergo-season-ending-surgery-on-rotator-cuff.html
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 04:30 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds salvage a 1-0 win today on a walk off single from Barrero of all people. It also appears Votto's season is over as he will have surgery on his rotator cuff.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/joey-votto-to-undergo-season-ending-surgery-on-rotator-cuff.html

They only scored one run but kind of funny that they won the first game Votto is sat down. Lodolo looked awesome and while I rag on Bell, I do like how he brought out Diaz for 2 innings. Major props to Alejo Lopez with half of the Reds three hits. He's going to push India to LF or 3B.

Angels fan here and they are currently facing the Mariners and, boy are they kind of eerie to watch
Mariners team leaders
2B - Suarez - 21
HR - Suarez - 20
RBI Suarez - 63
Extra Base Hits - Suarez - 42
Winker is 2nd in MLB behind Soto in walks
Luis Castillo is 1-0 with a 2.18 ERA and has 24 Ks against only 6 walks
Old friend Curt Casali recently picked up his first hit as a Mariner

No shock here . . . Michael Lorenzen and Archie Bradley are both on the Angels' 60 day DL
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
I considered Votto's season already over. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
So Votto having season ending rotator cuff surgery and the fact he’s been dealing with it for YEARS has me thinking thats why he has been tinkering with his swing so much over the past few years while his numbers have taken a nosedive.

Here’s to hoping he comes back next year for a revenge tour. We sure could use it!
Reply/Quote
Bullpen basically had 2 straight days off and still finds a way to blow a game.
Reply/Quote
Reds duking it out with the Pirates. Who deserves to be at the bottom?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Jose Barrero has played in every game that the Reds have had since August 3rd. 16 games total.

He has struck out at least once in every single game. 30 total out of 58 ABs with zero walks.

He almost broke his streak last night as it was his night off.

But, luckily, he was brought in as a defensive replacement in the 7th inning and nabbed that strikeout in his single plate appearance for the night an inning later (on 3 pitches).

We'll see if he can keep up this torrid pace to end the season. The current record is 37 straight games, set by Aaron Judge in 2017.

The Reds have 43 more games to play, so it's well within the realm of possibility that Barrero sets this MLB record, even if he sneaks an 0-fer by in one of the next 6 games, he can still recover to claim the title assuming he plays every game from here on out.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 09:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Jose Barrero has played in every game that the Reds have had since August 3rd. 16 games total.

He has struck out at least once in every single game. 30 total out of 58 ABs with zero walks.

He almost broke his streak last night as it was his night off.

But, luckily, he was brought in as a defensive replacement in the 7th inning and nabbed that strikeout in his single plate appearance for the night an inning later (on 3 pitches).

We'll see if he can keep up this torrid pace to end the season. The current record is 37 straight games, set by Aaron Judge in 2017.

The Reds have 43 more games to play, so it's well within the realm of possibility that Barrero sets this MLB record, even if he sneaks an 0-fer by in one of the next 6 games, he can still recover to claim the title assuming he plays every game from here on out.

It will be exciting to see what he can do next year when he is healthy again.

Last year he tore up AA/AAA hitting .303 with a .380 OB% and .539 SLG%

This year before he was called up he was hitting just .209/.262/.377.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It will be exciting to see what he can do next year when he is healthy again.

Last year he tore up AA/AAA hitting .303 with a .380 OB% and .539 SLG%

This year before he was called up he was hitting just .209/.262/.377.

Yea, I am really excited for him and a bunch of other players that could be called up at the end of this year or sometime next year. He showed a lot throughout the minor leagues and he is coming off an injury. One thing I've noticed in every single AB I've watched of him since he came up to the majors, however, is how much he chases that down and away breaking ball. The pitchers have recognized this about him and are exploiting it, which is why he's striking out almost half the time he's at the plate.

If he can learn to lay off that pitch, I think he can be an above average bat and an above average to perhaps elite glove at Shortstop.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying seeing the stat line every night with a non-zero in the K column haha. It's beginning to become uncanny.
Reply/Quote
Man oh man this team sure knows how to snag defeat from the jaws of victory.
Reply/Quote
Senzel should not be in Center anymore. Now that Winker is gone, put him in LF and let a real outfielder play the most important position in the outfield, not a converted infielder. Hell, move him back to 3rd and put Farmer in LF.

I hate the shift . . . this is twice in the last week where the Reds were beaten by the outfield shifted to RF with a right handed hitter and a routine ball for a straightaway CF is now a two run triple or a one run triple. Why shift your entire infield to the left but have your outfield shifted to the right? You shift everyone because the will most likely pull the ball . . . why allow the OF to have less coverage to the side you are expecting them to hit? Makes zero sense to me.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 11:25 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Man oh man this team sure knows how to snag defeat from the jaws of victory.

Last night was the first game I've checked out in awhile. The ending didn't surprise me. I hope Diaz gets better as I think he can be a true closer for the team (the ump squeezed him on some pitches).

I know Senzel got the error, but was Farmer not positioned correctly to get a relay throw as the 1B?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 09:38 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Last night was the first game I've checked out in awhile. The ending didn't surprise me. I hope Diaz gets better as I think he can be a true closer for the team (the ump squeezed him on some pitches).

I know Senzel got the error, but was Farmer not positioned correctly to get a relay throw as the 1B?

The throw was in between third and home. Nobody is supposed to be lined up there.

I only made it to practice at a Junior College before having to quit due to injury so most of my baseball experience is in High School or lower and even I know that his throw is supposed to be in one of two places . . . bullet to the first cut off man, regardless of positioning, or throw it towards the lead base, which, in this situation, was home plate. He was off by 40-45 feet in either case.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote