Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Bench???
How do we see the bench working out? Will it be 5 or 6 guys? Who ya got? I see Casali, Senzel, Ervin, Farmer and VanMeter. Senzel will probably be in a hard, 4 man outfield rotation. I have a feeling that we will get to see some outfielders that are in a nice hitting groove get benched for the sake of rotating guys. Farmer can play catcher and SS, bout have to add a guy that versatile. I guess they could add Dietrich instead of VanMeter but I like VanMeter more. Any bench thoughts? Am I totally forgetting someone? Maybe Blandino instead of VanMeter?
Reply/Quote
I'd say Casalli and Farmer are pretty muck locks. Farmer is just to versatile. After that it gets a little dicey. When you add up all the regulars and Farmer there's really only 2 spots left. I really can't imagine them letting Ervin go but they're gonna have to whittle it down somewhere. I'd say Aquino has basically no shot of making 26 man roster.

There's been some buzz around Blandino so I'll say Farmer, Blandino, and Ervin. Depending on what happens with Suarez ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say Casalli and Farmer are pretty muck locks. Farmer is just to versatile. After that it gets a little dicey. When you add up all the regulars and Farmer there's really only 2 spots left. I really can't imagine them letting Ervin go but they're gonna have to whittle it down somewhere. I'd say Aquino has basically no shot of making 26 man roster.

There's been some buzz around Blandino so I'll say Farmer, Blandino, and Ervin. Depending on what happens with Suarez ?

It seems like Ervin is out of options. If so, someone would grab him in a heartbeat. Aquino looks to have been fools gold. He will play in AAA but I’m guessing that he should’ve been traded last year for a young reliever. Not many of us thought that last year but it looks like he has no value right now.
Reply/Quote
Vanmeter is a lefty and can play multiple positions, but, like Aquino, his numbers last year seemed way out of line with the rest of his career.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:45 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It seems like Ervin is out of options. If so, someone would grab him in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I'd say Ervin will be on somebody's opening day roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, I'd say Ervin will be on somebody's opening day roster.

I’m betting that it’s the Reds! With VanMeter, that LH thing gives him an advantage. Of course Dietrich is the other LH option.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, I'd say Ervin will be on somebody's opening day roster.

Yep

Of the guys with the higher ST at bats Ervin is at the top batting .444 with 2 HR's and 6 RBI's, and his production for his playing time in the past has been pretty solid. I'll be surprised if they cut him.

Blandino is batting .429 in 21 at bats with 7 RBI's and they need a backup SS
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:45 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It seems like Ervin is out of options. If so, someone would grab him in a heartbeat. Aquino looks to have been fools gold. He will play in AAA but I’m guessing that he should’ve been traded last year for a young reliever. Not many of us thought that last year but it looks like he has no value right now.

Every ST game that goes by it's looking more and more that way. In 23 at bats he has 2 hits for an .087 avg. And worse he has 10 strike outs. He's still swinging at way to many pitches out of the zone especially that low outside stuff. He's got to learn to lay off that pitch.

He's good on defense has good arm and has 3 SB's thus far. We know he has power but he's just swinging at everything ! I'm losing hope.
Reply/Quote
I see the roster basically breaking down like this:

6 guaranteed infielders:
Barnhart
Casali
Suarez
Galvis
Moose
Votto

4 guaranteed outfielders:
Winker
Akiyama
Senzel
Castellanos

5 starting pitchers:
Castillo
Gray
Bauer
Disco
Miley

8 relief pitchers:
Lorenzen
Iglesias
Garrett
Strop
Stephenson
Sims
2 flex slots (could be Biddle, Jones, Bowman, Reed, Romano or a few others)

That leaves 3 slots for the bench.

The three I would pick for the bench are:
Phillip Ervin
I think Ervin definitely makes the roster based on his left handed splits last season of .349/.411/.628 in 86 ABs.
Add to that the fact that he's out of options and killing it in spring training so far with a .444/.524/.889 line. He seems like a done deal for the opening roster.

Kyle Farmer
Pure, unadulterated versatility. He can play catcher, shortstop, first base, second base and third base and he could probably fill in at LF and RF if necessary.
He also just so happens to be having a fantastic spring, with a line of .389/.421/.667

That basically leaves one space left on the roster for one of the following:
Alex Blandino
Josh Van Meter
Aristedes Aquino
Mark Payton
Derek Dietrich

Now, in terms of who has had the best spring, Josh Van Meter takes the cake, with a .400/.526/.667 line. Plus, he has played all 3 bases and both corner outfield spots, so he's got positional versatility.

However, we already have Farmer as the super utility player and Josh would be 3rd string at a lot of those positions, if not 4th. So I think, since he has options remaining, he's going to be sent down to the minors so he can play every day.

Aquino has the same issue, except he has less position versatility (outfield only) and he isn't even playing well this spring. Down to the minors you go.

Payton, again, is an outfielder only and hasn't even been that impressive this spring. I'd be shocked if he makes it.

So do you go with Blandino, who can back up shortstop since the only back up right now is Farmer, who has never played an inning at SS (but the coaches are confident he can)?

Or do you go with Derek Dietrich? DD is a great locker room presence and he has scheme versatility, at least in theory, with starts at 1B, 2B, 3B and the outfield corners. He also has no minor league options.

He hasn't had a great spring but I don't think it really matters.

Personally, I think DD is going to be the choice for that last spot. I would prefer a true backup at SS with Blandino but, again, he's got options. So the incentive to keep a guy with options on the big league roster when he'd just be sitting as a 3rd string or maybe 2nd string SS doesn't seem that appealing. But if Galvis' injury is worse than they first thought, Blandino may be the choice by default, especially if they don't trust Farmer to be the starter at SS.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:53 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I see the roster basically breaking down like this:

6 guaranteed infielders:
Barnhart
Casali
Suarez
Galvis
Moose
Votto

Winker
Akiyama
Senzel
Castellanos

5 starting pitchers:
Castillo
Gray
Bauer
Disco
Miley

8 relief pitchers:
Lorenzen
Iglesias
Garrett
Strop
Stephenson
Sims

Phillip Ervin
I think Ervin definitely makes the roster based on his left handed splits last season of .349/.411/.628 in 86 ABs.
Add to that the fact that he's out of options and killing it in spring training so far with a .444/.524/.889 line. He seems like a done deal for the opening roster.

Kyle Farmer
Pure, unadulterated versatility. He can play catcher, shortstop, first base, second base and third base and he could probably fill in at LF and RF if necessary.
He also just so happens to be having a fantastic spring, with a line of .389/.421/.667

Alex Blandino
Josh Van Meter
Aristedes Aquino
Mark Payton
Derek Dietrich

Now, in terms of who has had the best spring, Josh Van Meter takes the cake, with a .400/.526/.667 line. Plus, he has played all 3 bases and both corner outfield spots, so he's got positional versatility.

However, we already have Farmer as the super utility player and Josh would be 3rd string at a lot of those positions, if not 4th. So I think, since he has options remaining, he's going to be sent down to the minors so he can play every day.

Aquino has the same issue, except he has less position versatility (outfield only) and he isn't even playing well this spring. Down to the minors you go.

Payton, again, is an outfielder only and hasn't even been that impressive this spring. I'd be shocked if he makes it.

So do you go with Blandino, who can back up shortstop since the only back up right now is Farmer, who has never played an inning at SS (but the coaches are confident he can)?

Or do you go with Derek Dietrich? DD is a great locker room presence and he has scheme versatility, at least in theory, with starts at 1B, 2B, 3B and the outfield corners. He also has no minor league options.

Personally, I think DD is going to be the choice for that last spot. I would prefer a true backup at SS with Blandino but, again, he's got options. So the incentive to keep a guy with options on the big league roster when he'd just be sitting as a 3rd string or maybe 2nd string SS doesn't seem that appealing. But if Galvis' injury is worse than they first thought, Blandino may be the choice by default, especially if they don't trust Farmer to be the starter at SS.

Agree

I think it comes down to Blandino and Dietrich with a darkhorse of VanMeter but like you say they've already got the swiss army knife in Farmer. Aquino would have to go on a real tear to have any shot.

If Blandino keeps hitting like he is and so does VanMeter it's going to be interesting. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:53 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I see the roster basically breaking down like this:

6 guaranteed infielders:
Barnhart
Casali
Suarez
Galvis
Moose
Votto

Winker
Akiyama
Senzel
Castellanos

5 starting pitchers:
Castillo
Gray
Bauer
Disco
Miley

8 relief pitchers:
Lorenzen
Iglesias
Garrett
Strop
Stephenson
Sims

Phillip Ervin

Kyle Farmer

Alex Blandino
Josh Van Meter
Aristedes Aquino
Mark Payton
Derek Dietrich

Good analysis.  I think it comes down to VanMeter and Blandino and they take VanMeter because he would be a left handed bat off the bench.  Also he is really hitting well this spring.
Reply/Quote

6 guaranteed infielders:
Barnhart
Casali
Suarez
Galvis
Moose
Votto

Winker
Akiyama
Senzel
Castellanos

5 starting pitchers:
Castillo
Gray
Bauer
Disco
Miley

8 relief pitchers:
Lorenzen
Iglesias
Garrett
Strop
Stephenson
Sims

Phillip Ervin

Kyle Farmer

Alex Blandino
Josh Van Meter
Aristedes Aquino
Mark Payton
Derek Dietrich

Agree on all points. Just like to add that SS is Farmer’s natural position that he played through high school and college, so I’m sure he’ll be as good there as he is at other positions when needed.

“I was pretty confident going into this spring that he could cover that role,” Bell said. “Everything I’ve seen helps me be more confident in his ability to do that. Also, just talking to him, it’s the most natural position on the field for him. He sees him himself as shortstop more than any other position. Because it’s what he’s done his whole life.”
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Every ST game that goes by it's looking more and more that way. In 23 at bats he has 2 hits for an .087 avg. And worse he has 10 strike outs. He's still swinging at way to many pitches out of the zone especially that low outside stuff. He's got to learn to lay off that pitch.

He's good on defense has good arm and has 3 SB's thus far. We know he has power but he's just swinging at everything ! I'm losing hope.

The good news is that the Reds control him and they can evaluate him in the minors.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know if VanMeter and Blandino have options? I’d hate losing VanMeter.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 05:27 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: How do we see the bench working out? Will it be 5 or 6 guys? Who ya got? I see Casali, Senzel, Ervin, Farmer and VanMeter. Senzel will probably be in a hard, 4 man outfield rotation. I have a feeling that we will get to see some outfielders that are in a nice hitting groove get benched for the sake of rotating guys. Farmer can play catcher and SS, bout have to add a guy that versatile. I guess they could add Dietrich instead of VanMeter but I like VanMeter more. Any bench thoughts? Am I totally forgetting someone? Maybe Blandino instead of VanMeter?

100% Blandino is who you were forgetting.

Blandino is pretty much a lock to make the roster in my eyes. He's a pretty indispensable bench player. He can and has played every position in the major leagues except CF and C. I don't know if he can play C at all, but I am sure he could fill in CF in a pinch. So he's pretty much the backup for 8 spots in the field.

He's also mashing .458/.536/.792/1.327 this Spring and has a career .349 OBP in the majors and .386 OBP in AAA.

He's a more defensively versatile Kyle Farmer who gets on base and is 2 years younger. I actually think he makes Farmer obsolete on the roster.

- - - - - - - - -

Ervin, Senzel, Casali, Blandino, VanMeter is the bench I picture. 5 guys rather than 6 because they probably view Lorenzen as a backup outfielder/PH if need be.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I still say that there’s a trade for a reliever coming soon. There’s too much young talent on the bench or going to get cut to not at least explore a trade
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 100% Blandino is who you were forgetting.

Blandino is pretty much a lock to make the roster in my eyes. He's a pretty indispensable bench player. He can and has played every position in the major leagues except CF and C. I don't know if he can play C at all, but I am sure he could fill in CF in a pinch. So he's pretty much the backup for 8 spots in the field.

He's also mashing .458/.536/.792/1.327 this Spring and has a career .349 OBP in the majors and .386 OBP in AAA.

He's a more defensively versatile Kyle Farmer who gets on base and is 2 years younger. I actually think he makes Farmer obsolete on the roster.

- - - - - - - - - I like VanMeter because he has a little more power and is a LH but it looks like he’s hurt now. I’m guessing that it comes down to Blandino and Dietrich now. Dietrich is also a LH with more power but I’d probably take Blandino over Dietrich. I dislike Dietrich’s style of play but if he does beat out Blandino then I will hold my nose and pull for him to do well.

Ervin, Senzel, Casali, Blandino, VanMeter is the bench I picture. 5 guys rather than 6 because they probably view Lorenzen as a backup outfielder/PH if need be.
Reply/Quote