Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July Game Thread
Longest home losing streak since 2001!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Been awhile since we've seen Bell that fired up.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
As bad as the Reds have been, they might have been even worse if they didn't cut payroll.

The departed and more or less their replacement
Winker .228 6 HR 33 RBI
Almora .253 5 HR 25 RBI

Suarez .238 13 HR 38 RBI
Drury .267 16 HR 40 RBI

Castellanos .248 8 HR 41 RBI
Pham .257 11 HR 34 RBI

Barnhart .211 0 HR 7 RBI
Garcia .216 1 HR 4 RBI

Gray 4-1 2.47 ERA
Ashcraft 4-2 4.53 ERA

Garrett 1-1 5.85 ERA
Strickland 0-2 4.91 ERA 4 saves

Lorenzen 6-6 4.94 ERA
Greene 3-9 5.72 ERA and Lodolo 1-2 5.52 ERA
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Wasn't pretty but the losing streak is over! Glad Pham was safe at 2nd in the 9th on the pickoff attempt because that was possibly a balk and i think that's what he was asking the second base ump about. Looked like Olsen caught the initial throw to first way in the infield grass which might be considered throwing to an unoccupied base which we have seen before.
Reply/Quote
And their next 3 are vs. Mets so........
Reply/Quote
Castillo pitched well to keep his trade value in check.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 06:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And their next 3 are vs. Mets so........

LOL

Lodola makes his comeback start . . . against Max Scherzer.

All three rookies are due to start against the Mets.

It looks like Minor gets the early start in the day/night doubleheader and then either hits the bullpen or gets traded because Lodolo is in his spot in the rotation now according to the ESPN schedule and they're generally pretty accurate. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/cin

Castillo's next two starts are the first game in Tampa and the last day in Yankee stadium. If there are no rain outs, and Castillo does good against the Yankees, his price tag goes up even higher.

At least they broke the home losing streak.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 08:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL

Lodola makes his comeback start . . . against Max Scherzer.

All three rookies are due to start against the Mets.

It looks like Minor gets the early start in the day/night doubleheader and then either hits the bullpen or gets traded because Lodolo is in his spot in the rotation now according to the ESPN schedule and they're generally pretty accurate. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/cin

Castillo's next two starts are the first game in Tampa and the last day in Yankee stadium. If there are no rain outs, and Castillo does good against the Yankees, his price tag goes up even higher.

At least they broke the home losing streak.

I'm hoping they can salvage something out of this lost season. Trade Castillo and perhaps some others for a couple decent pitching prospects ? 

Just looking for something to hang our hats on.
Reply/Quote
I was watching ESPN Sunday Night Baseball and they showed a graphic where Castillo and Mahle are top trade prospects. I hope the Reds don't blow their value. They said the Cardinals had some good prospects for a trade. I doubt the Reds trade within the division. We'll see what the front office decides.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 08:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Trade Castillo and perhaps some others for a couple decent pitching prospects ? 

That's where I disagree with you if we are to believe Larkin. He says that the Reds have lots of arms coming up from the Winker/Suarez, Garrett and Gray trades plus a couple of draft picks and Ashcraft wasn't the highest prospect coming up. He kind of jumped some people, apparently.

I'm more of the belief that this team needs hitters, not sluggers swinging for the fences . . . but actual hitters. Guys that hit doubles and can get on base. Before the 8th inning today, they had two singles in the previous 16 innings. That's pathetic. They have too many utility players and not enough standard everyday starters.

If India and Barerro are going to be playing in the middle of the infield for awhile, they'll need steady players at 3B and 1B. Castillo is their best chance to get somebody else's top hitting prospect since he has another year of arbitration. If they get a top 1B prospect to replace Votto, then they can possibly approach Drury for an extension. If they get a 3B in the deal, trade Drury.

I'd be surprised if Castillo isn't the 1st domino to fall. After his deal, they'll know a lot more of where they stand prospects-wise and what they'll need to address.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 01:48 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: That's where I disagree with you if we are to believe Larkin. He says that the Reds have lots of arms coming up from the Winker/Suarez, Garrett and Gray trades plus a couple of draft picks and Ashcraft wasn't the highest prospect coming up. He kind of jumped some people, apparently.

I'm more of the belief that this team needs hitters, not sluggers swinging for the fences . . . but actual hitters. Guys that hit doubles and can get on base. Before the 8th inning today, they had two singles in the previous 16 innings. That's pathetic. They have too many utility players and not enough standard everyday starters.

If India and Barerro are going to be playing in the middle of the infield for awhile, they'll need steady players at 3B and 1B. Castillo is their best chance to get somebody else's top hitting prospect since he has another year of arbitration. If they get a top 1B prospect to replace Votto, then they can possibly approach Drury for an extension. If they get a 3B in the deal, trade Drury.

I'd be surprised if Castillo isn't the 1st domino to fall. After his deal, they'll know a lot more of where they stand prospects-wise and what they'll need to address.

I've always been of that belief. It's one of the bigger reasons the fun has been taken out of baseball ! You just don't see the so called small ball anymore. And I hate it.

How many bunts do the Reds have this season ? It seems they've been a little more aggressive stealing this season than the last couple, not sure ? But how long has it been since they've had a good base stealer not named B. Hamilton ? You seen a suicide squeeze lately ? Hit and run ? Double steal of 2nd and home ?

We get small little pieces here and there but nothing like it used to be. And one of the bigger reasons why, like you said, nobody is hitting singles ! It's either a HR or a strike out and I hate it.

I'm all for a getting some speed guys who can hit singles and steal bases, create pressure. If they really have good pitching prospects in system. I just know overall our pitching this season in the big scheme of things has hurt.
Reply/Quote
Well no big surprise Reds lost to Mets. Hunter Greene is again foiled by giving up HR's. He leads MLB in HR's surrendered with 22. I'm not giving up on the guy but he's got to get better with his curveballs or develop a slider, something ?

On a side note why the hell does Bell continue running Votto out there batting cleanup ? He's the worst of all worlds. He's not hitting for power, he's not hitting for average, he's not driving in a lot of runs. And he leads the team in strikeouts.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On a side note why the hell does Bell continue running Votto out there batting cleanup ? He's the worst of all worlds. He's not hitting for power, he's not hitting for average, he's not driving in a lot of runs. And he leads the team in strikeouts.

I don't think if we have anyone better to bench Votto, but he should at least be dropped from #4.
Reply/Quote
Reds win a game that was a pitching duel!!!
Reply/Quote
One in a row.

The best Lodolo has looked. <-----period.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 03:59 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: One in a row.

Yep and against a good team. Perhaps there is hope for the Reds starting pitching ?
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well no big surprise Reds lost to Mets. Hunter Greene is again foiled by giving up HR's. He leads MLB in HR's surrendered with 22. I'm not giving up on the guy but he's got to get better with his curveballs or develop a slider, something ?

On a side note why the hell does Bell continue running Votto out there batting cleanup ? He's the worst of all worlds. He's not hitting for power, he's not hitting for average, he's not driving in a lot of runs. And he leads the team in strikeouts.

I'd either hit Votto in two-hole or drop him to sixth, but the reality is it doesn't matter. We don't really have any worthy three-four-five hitters. I suppose Drury is an exception for this season since he's having a career year.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 10:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd either hit Votto in two-hole or drop him to sixth, but the reality is it doesn't matter. We don't really have any worthy three-four-five hitters. I suppose Drury is an exception for this season since he's having a career year.

Oh I know. But like you say put Drury cleanup and Votto 6th or 7th. At least make it look like you're trying to win.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think if we have anyone better to bench Votto, but he should at least be dropped from #4.

Right 
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 03:59 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: One in a row.

(07-06-2022, 08:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep and against a good team. Perhaps there is hope for the Reds starting pitching ?

Last two starts... 10.1 IP .... 1 ER .... 15 K .... 2 wins

And that was against two good teams (Cards, Mets)
Reply/Quote