Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July Game Thread
(07-06-2022, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last two starts... 10.1 IP .... 1 ER .... 15 K .... 2 wins

And that was against two good teams (Cards, Mets)

I'm hoping Lodolo, Greene, and Ashcraft can form a solid starting core for us. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 12:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I know. But like you say put Drury cleanup and Votto 6th or 7th. At least make it look like you're trying to win.

I also think Votto is professional enough to understand why he'd be bumped down in the order. He'd not take it personal and hold it against Bell.
Reply/Quote
Reds play the Mets tonight and I hope it doesn't rain out. I guess it is time to showcase for the trade deadline. The Reds will be sellers and rebuild for the future.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Senzel with a dinger ! Is he gonna come alive ?
Reply/Quote
And the bullpen we know and hate shows up tonight.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 08:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Senzel with a dinger ! Is he gonna come alive ?

Last 6 games...  .400 avg (8-20) with 2 HR.

But don't call it a comeback.

I like Senzel.  He is from Knoxville and played at UT.  He looked good his rookie season, and had the numbers from the minors to suggest that he would develop into a solid MLB player.  But that was 4 years ago and he has stunk since then.  He had an OPS of .742 in '19 but his .634 OPS over the last 3 years is terrible.  It would currently rank 143 out of 157 players this year that have enough at bats to qualify.

I know he has had issues with injuries, but even when healthy he has not hit well since '19.
Reply/Quote
I see Votto is missing a few games. Crossing my fingers this ends up being his 5th trip to the Covid DL in the last 2 years. Guy fake gets covid as much as he hits homers - I find it hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 06:03 PM)ATOTR Wrote: I see Votto is missing a few games.  Crossing my fingers this ends up being his 5th trip to the Covid DL in the last 2 years.   Guy fake gets covid as much as he hits homers - I find it hilarious.

Votto has been in steady decline since 2017 besides his resurgence in 2021. I don't hate Votto he had a great like 10 year run with us. But I believe he's now hit the wall. I wish there was some way they could buy out his contract and he could retire. To many more ho hum seasons are gonna put a big dent in whatever HOF chances he has. 
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 08:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto has been in steady decline since 2017 besides his resurgence in 2021. I don't hate Votto he had a great like 10 year run with us. But I believe he's now hit the wall. I wish there was some way they could buy out his contract and he could retire. To many more ho hum seasons are gonna put a big dent in whatever HOF chances he has. 

I also think Todd Helton needs to get in if Votto has a chance. Cincinnati media and fans drop the, "for sure HoF" line about him but I'm skeptical. Does the national media agrees? Since subjectivity comes into play, Votto is liked by media so maybe that wins him some votes. Non-traditional stats "guy" and advanced metrics "guy" are also voting "yes" for Votto.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 10:57 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also think Todd Helton needs to get in if Votto has a chance. Cincinnati media and fans drop the, "for sure HoF" line about him but I'm skeptical. Does the national media agrees? Since subjectivity comes into play, Votto is liked by media so maybe that wins him some votes. Non-traditional stats "guy" and advanced metrics "guy" are also voting "yes" for Votto.

Me too

I'm not so sure the advanced metrics nerds can overcome the good old his RBI's per season is not great guys ?
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 08:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: It looks like Minor gets the early start in the day/night doubleheader and then either hits the bullpen or gets traded because Lodolo is in his spot in the rotation now according to the ESPN schedule and they're generally pretty accurate. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/cin

Castillo's next two starts are the first game in Tampa and the last day in Yankee stadium. If there are no rain outs, and Castillo does good against the Yankees, his price tag goes up even higher.
Poor Minor. He gets one more start before the break as he takes Mahle's spot.

His start is in Yankee stadium vs Gerrit Cole.

All three rookies are slated to start in St Louis to finish out before the AS break.

Three more games before a day off. Currently 4-7 during this 14 game stretch in 13 days
1-2 @ Cubs
1-2 vs Atlanta
1-2 vs New York
1-1 vs Pittsburgh

This could be Castillo's final start at home. 

edited - and of course it's against a guy that's 9-3 with a 1.74 ERA.

Castillo's 4 losses
3-1 @ Pittsburgh
2-1 @ Toronto
5-4 vs Washington
2-0 @ St Louis

Castillo's 3 wins
4-3 vs Chicago
2-1 @ Boston
5-3 @ Chicago
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Wow!!! Reds win on a walk off balk!
Reply/Quote
A lot of times I see a pitcher step off, and then go thru that motion. He did it with his foot on the rubber and there is some question whether that is legal. I didn't see a flinch though.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 11:44 PM)Goalpost Wrote: A lot of times I see a pitcher step off, and then go thru that motion.  He did it with his foot on the rubber and there is some question whether that is legal.  I didn't see a flinch though.

I think it had to do with him looking like he started going into his set position but stopped.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 11:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Wow!!! Reds win on a walk off balk!

LOL a balk off win
Reply/Quote
Well, through 4 innings Hunter Greene is dealing today with 8 strikeouts and only a double and a walk given up. Ooops gives up a lead off walk in the 5th.

Nice to see Stephenson back.

Drury 2 for 2. Average sitting at .274. Looking sweeter for a trade.

Senzel 1 for 2 . . . got his average up to .260. Good job, young man.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
The Reds are in the midst of another 1-0 game. I'd say the pitching has done well. Now if the Reds could hit.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Hunter can learn a lot from this game and by watching games of a young Tyler Mahle and not nibble so much.

WAY TOO MANY THREE BALL COUNTS.

His only run given up was that lead off walk which started off with an 0-2 count. He still put in a quality start with 6 innings, 3 hits, 1 run but those 4 walks and the other 3 ball counts are why it took him 114 pitches to only go 6 innings.

Here's what he should be setting as a goal or try to achieve. This is Scherzer's 6 innings in the Reds 1-0 win on Tuesday.
6 innings
2 hits
0 runs
0 walks
11 strikeouts
79 pitches.

That's just under 6 less pitches per inning. Mahle took himself out of so many games early in his career because he was at or over 100 pitches by the 5th inning and Greene is smart enough to see that happening to himself, let's just hope he can figure it out soon.

Also Drury 3 for 3, now hitting .277.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Drury ties the game with his 4th hit in 5 at bats.

.278 with 18 HRs and now 50 RBI.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Maybe we can get another balk off win.
Reply/Quote