Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Look Bad
I watched the game last night and the pitching was horrible. The Reds are in the basement again and will probably stay there. Not sure if we'll win 70 games this year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
You really gotta wonder how much longer they're going to hang on with Price.. It feels like Dusty's been gone for 15 years already .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can we get the Ghost of Bob Howsam to take over as GM for a few years?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wow! We actually won a game yesterday. Not too many days we can say that.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Mediocre lineup, terrible bench, mediocre to bad bullpen, more questions and answers on the starting staff. Not a good combination. Going to be a really long season.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 05:06 PM)samhain Wrote: Mediocre lineup, terrible bench, mediocre to bad bullpen, more questions and answers on the starting staff.  Not a good combination.  Going to be a really long season.

It sure looks like it.

Thus far Joey Votto is batting .226 without an extra base hit and 2 RBI's. Adam Duvall is batting .107 with 11 strikeouts. Jose Peraza is batting .200 with 7 strikeouts and no extra base hits or RBI's. Billy Hamilton is batting .136 with a .240 OBP. 

That's four regular starters batting for a combined .167 average with a combined 9 RBI's, Duvall has 6 of them alone. So half of our offense is stinking the place up. And now one of the four actually hitting, Suarez, is out for an extended period. Gennett started off decent but has been slipping and he can't drive in a run to save his life ! He has 1 RBI and he's the cleanup hitter.

I figured the offense would at least be decent this season but it seems they're going to stink just as bad as the pitching.

It's early lets hope they turn it around.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 07:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It sure looks like it.

Thus far Joey Votto is batting .226 without an extra base hit and 2 RBI's. Adam Duvall is batting .107 with 11 strikeouts. Jose Peraza is batting .200 with 7 strikeouts and no extra base hits or RBI's. Billy Hamilton is batting .136 with a .240 OBP. 

That's four regular starters batting for a combined .167 average with a combined 9 RBI's, Duvall has 6 of them alone. So half of our offense is stinking the place up. And now one of the four actually hitting, Suarez, is out for an extended period. Gennett started off decent but has been slipping and he can't drive in a run to save his life ! He has 1 RBI and he's the cleanup hitter.

I figured the offense would at least be decent this season but it seems they're going to stink just as bad as the pitching.

It's early lets hope they turn it around.

I think losing Cozart probably hurts a lot more than people let themselves think it would.  He may not have been an all-world offensive player for most of his time here, but he was pretty good last year.  That's a big loss to account for, particularly when you're replacing him with Jose Peraza.
Reply/Quote
If the hitting is looking this bad, before the pitchers generally hit their stride, what are they going to look like after the break?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Reds don't look bad. They are bad.
I understand why they didn't fire Price last season. He is rebuilding the team and the minor leagues are actually filled with pretty encouraging talent.

But now, early on, the decisions he's made are just so ridiculous. How do you send players like Garrett to the bullpen when you're starting Homer Bailey, Sal Romano and, potentially, Reed?

Then you have the questionable choices of keeping both Pennington and Gosselin (who, admittedly, haven't been awful early on) and sent down players like Blandino and Dixon, who could provide some good pinch hits and spot starts.

And now Suarez is out, one of our few good hitters right now.

I can't wait for Senzel to be called up to see what he's got. Because, as of right now, this feels like yet another lost season. May as well see all your minor leaguers that are ready and evaluate from there.

And, you know, maybe sign someone in free agency that will actually help your team succeed?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Reds don't look bad. They are bad.
I understand why they didn't fire Price last season. He is rebuilding the team and the minor leagues are actually filled with pretty encouraging talent.

But now, early on, the decisions he's made are just so ridiculous. How do you send players like Garrett to the bullpen when you're starting Homer Bailey, Sal Romano and, potentially, Reed?

Then you have the questionable choices of keeping both Pennington and Gosselin (who, admittedly, haven't been awful early on) and sent down players like Blandino and Dixon, who could provide some good pinch hits and spot starts.

And now Suarez is out, one of our few good hitters right now.

I can't wait for Senzel to be called up to see what he's got. Because, as of right now, this feels like yet another lost season. May as well see all your minor leaguers that are ready and evaluate from there.

And, you know, maybe sign someone in free agency that will actually help your team succeed?

So Yovani Gallardo, Ross Ohlendorf, and Kevin Gregg doesn't do anything for you?

And game vs pirates putting Yovani in a winnable game was just lunacy. It lost me for a while, maybe the season. There's not a single reason you put the worst pitcher in your pen in a very winnable game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I am still a Reds fan, but an unhappy one. The decisions and actions of this team are worse than a little league game. I am throwing in the towel for this year already. The team has no will to win it appears.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The Reds are now the not so proud owners of the worst record in MLB at 2-8. They've been outscored 61 - 31 !

They have 19 games left in April, 1 more with Phillies, 7 against the Cardinals, 4 against the Brewers, 4 against the Braves, 3 against the Twins,

What do you think the chances are they have 10 wins before April ends ?

Shaping up to be a very long summer Reds wise !
Reply/Quote