Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Make No Sense To Me
The lucky bums have 2 of the top strikeout pitchers in Spring Training. Kershaw of Dodgers is tops but Reds Romano up there with 25 K's and only 3 BB's and a 3.15 ERA. Reed had 20 K's. Davis has 17 K's. Yet Reds.com says Reds struggling to find an Opening Day pitcher have choose Feldman and as Abbey Normal as choosing Marty Feldman. Ah, but the Reds say they are hoping to trade Feldman and Cozart before July trade deadline. As bad as Reds pitching is, if Romano, Reed and Davis are their better pitchers why not try to win in April. The Reds have been helped by young pitching in the past such as 1970 or 1990. ......I wish the Reds cared more about fielding the best players and winning than setting up all the trades for minor league players they will trade when they make the majors. Already Reds shopping young Billy Hamilton. Yet the Reds and Rose think Joey Votto is everything as they thought Griffey Jr was everything. I tell you as a GM I could find a cheap first baseman and use the money for a more competitive team and the lower paid first baseman would get 70 RBI's as Reds are in Wild Card hunt.

So for a team with just an awful pitching staff in 2016, Romano, Reed and Davis stepped up in Spring but Reds seem to be ready to start Marty Feldman and the rotaion must only get worse from there. Romano tore up Spring with 25 K's and 3 BB's and is up there with Kershaw this Spring, but Reds in all their blind wisdom will start Marty Feldman instead. THey seem to WANT to clinch last place early. You would think they would want more than the Pete Rose Statue Weekend. That type stuff is wearing thin. Right up there with watching an old Joe Nuxhall or old Bob Feller throwing batting practice, IF THIS TEAM USED THE PITCHERS DOING GOOD THIS SPRING, THEY JUST MIGHT WIN THIS APRIL and AT LEAST START OFF IN THE RACE.

Some will say they need more minor leagues and in years past with a younger Harang and Arroyo as starters I agreed on sending a Homer to the minors. With the Reds pitching so awful, If a guy with 25 K's and 3 walks is not the Opening Day starter and is maybe sent to the minors, well, I fail to see why they would send their best pitcher to the minors, if they do that. 25 K's and 3 BBs and up there with Kershaw this Spring. I would throw out the book and make Romano the Opening Day starter.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Romano and Davis fall under the "delay them in order to save service time" plan.

Which makes sense since the chances of competing this year, even if these two rookies are in the rotation and somehow don't get banged up, they would essentially be throwing away a year of control just for the spectacle.

By waiting a month and bringing them up in May, they don't register as a full year and therefore don't gain that year of service time that eventually leads to the team losing control of them.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/115853014/everything-you-need-to-know-about-service-time/
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 11:55 AM)kevin Wrote: The lucky bums have 2 of the top strikeout pitchers in Spring Training.  Kershaw of Dodgers is tops but Reds Romano up there with 25 K's and only 3 BB's and a 3.15 ERA.   Reed had 20 K's.  Davis has 17 K's.  Yet Reds.com says Reds struggling to find an Opening Day pitcher have choose Feldman and as Abbey Normal as choosing Marty Feldman.  Ah, but the Reds say they are hoping to trade Feldman and Cozart before July trade deadline.   As bad as Reds pitching is, if Romano, Reed and Davis are their better pitchers why not try to win in April.  The Reds have been helped by young pitching in the past such as 1970 or 1990.  ......I wish the Reds cared more about fielding the best players and winning than setting up all the trades for minor league players they will trade when they make the majors. Already Reds shopping young Billy Hamilton. Yet the Reds and Rose think Joey Votto is everything as they thought Griffey Jr was everything. I tell you as a GM I could find a cheap first baseman and use the money for a more competitive team and the lower paid first baseman would get 70 RBI's as Reds are in Wild Card hunt.

So for a team with just an awful pitching staff in 2016, Romano, Reed and Davis stepped up in Spring but Reds seem to be ready to start Marty Feldman and the rotaion must only get worse from there.  Romano tore up Spring with 25 K's and 3 BB's and is up there with Kershaw this Spring, but Reds in all their blind wisdom will start Marty Feldman instead.  THey seem to WANT to clinch last place early.   You would think they would want more than the Pete Rose Statue Weekend. That type stuff is wearing thin. Right up there with watching an old Joe Nuxhall or old Bob Feller throwing batting practice,   IF THIS TEAM USED THE PITCHERS DOING GOOD THIS SPRING, THEY JUST MIGHT WIN THIS APRIL and AT LEAST START OFF IN THE RACE.

Some will say they need more minor leagues and in years past with a younger Harang and Arroyo as starters I agreed on sending a Homer to the minors.  With the Reds pitching so awful, If a guy with 25 K's and 3 walks is not the Opening Day starter and is maybe sent to the minors, well, I fail to see why they would send their best pitcher to the minors, if they do that.  25 K's and 3 BBs and up there with Kershaw this Spring.  I would throw out the book and make Romano the Opening Day starter.

Did you watch Cody Reed's last start? You want that on opening day?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 07:11 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Did you watch Cody Reed's last start? You want that on opening day?

He is so damn inconsistent. It's maddening.
Reply/Quote
Every pitcher has a bad outing in Spring Training and why they have Spring Training. Still it seems that a team with no pitching is sending there best pitchers to the minors. ..Romano should be the Opening Day Pitcher since he is tearing up Spring Training with numbers as good as Kershaw this Spring. He is ready and there is nothing more to be gained for him in the minors except injury. You can get just as injured in the minors. The Reds had no pitching. The Reds had no pitching. You would think pitching spots were wide open for these young guys because the Reds had no pitching. Romano tore up Spring Training and why he isn't the Opening Day starter over these out and out bums is baseball stupid. Instead of Romano they will pitch Marty Feldman and look for him to get clobbered......By the time May 15th is here, the Reds will have clinched last place with these lousy pitchers. So by the time they bring the good pitchers back, it will be way too late.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Of the two professional sports teams in Cincinnati, who would have ever thought the Bengals were the better managed?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Spring training numbers hardly matter except for who makes the final couple roster spots. Not to mention even if you were going to put weight into them, context matters. One starter starts when the other team is playing their C Team and strikes out 6. Another starter starts when the other team is starting the majority of their actual starting lineup and strikes out 4.

It doesn't mean the guy with 6 strikeouts is better. He played against nobodies who will probably never make it to the majors, or at the very least never be everyday starters.

- - - - - - - -
2016 Spring Training...
2nd in Strikeouts: Hector Santiago (2.89 ERA, 9.6 K/9)
3rd in Strkeouts: John Danks (5.40 ERA, 8.0 K/9)

2016 Regular Season...
Hector Santiago: 4.70 ERA, 7.1 K/9
John Danks: 7.25 ERA, 6.4 K/9

Just remember that in 2014 Spring Training, Chris Heisey led MLB in HRs. Spring Training numbers aren't terribly reliable.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Gotta be honest, I paid no attention to spring training and who is who. I turn on my TV and see some dude with gray hair is our opening day pitcher.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
This team is a farm team at best.makes me sick this isnt a rebuild this is a holocaust
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 11:39 PM)B3ng4Ls420 Wrote: This team is a farm team at best.makes me sick this isnt a rebuild this is a holocaust

According to you...  According to a guy that actually coaches baseball..

Quote:
  1. Defensively SOLID! Lineup capable of scoring. Shebler probably the weakest link and he has big power, needs to learn a two strike swing. If the rookies hold up, then Desclafani comes back, Arroyo or Feldman leaves rotation, then the other when Bailey comes back. Much improved bullpen and Iglasius is nasty, especially against righties. Alot to build on. We all know the Reds can start well but post AllStar, not so much. I am just happy that we improved from the AA/AAA club from last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 11:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to you...  According to a guy that actually coaches baseball..

Lets revisit this in a few  months and i bet the baseball coach is looking forward to football season
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 11:47 PM)B3ng4Ls420 Wrote: Lets revisit this in a few  months and i bet the baseball coach is looking forward to football season

Not getting your point.  He clearly stated that he didn't have any faith past the All-Star Break, but was at least happy to see some promise in the youth. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 11:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not getting your point.  He clearly stated that he didn't have any faith past the All-Star Break, but was at least happy to see some promise in the youth. 
My point is that we always see promising youth and good starts.who cares how about a winning season..people giving passes just like they do with the bengals....pay for mediocrity and thats what u will recieve
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 11:55 AM)kevin Wrote: The lucky bums have 2 of the top strikeout pitchers in Spring Training.  Kershaw of Dodgers is tops but Reds Romano up there with 25 K's and only 3 BB's and a 3.15 ERA.   Reed had 20 K's.  Davis has 17 K's.  Yet Reds.com says Reds struggling to find an Opening Day pitcher have choose Feldman and as Abbey Normal as choosing Marty Feldman.  Ah, but the Reds say they are hoping to trade Feldman and Cozart before July trade deadline.   As bad as Reds pitching is, if Romano, Reed and Davis are their better pitchers why not try to win in April.  The Reds have been helped by young pitching in the past such as 1970 or 1990.  ......I wish the Reds cared more about fielding the best players and winning than setting up all the trades for minor league players they will trade when they make the majors. Already Reds shopping young Billy Hamilton. Yet the Reds and Rose think Joey Votto is everything as they thought Griffey Jr was everything. I tell you as a GM I could find a cheap first baseman and use the money for a more competitive team and the lower paid first baseman would get 70 RBI's as Reds are in Wild Card hunt.

So for a team with just an awful pitching staff in 2016, Romano, Reed and Davis stepped up in Spring but Reds seem to be ready to start Marty Feldman and the rotaion must only get worse from there.  Romano tore up Spring with 25 K's and 3 BB's and is up there with Kershaw this Spring, but Reds in all their blind wisdom will start Marty Feldman instead.  THey seem to WANT to clinch last place early.   You would think they would want more than the Pete Rose Statue Weekend. That type stuff is wearing thin. Right up there with watching an old Joe Nuxhall or old Bob Feller throwing batting practice,   IF THIS TEAM USED THE PITCHERS DOING GOOD THIS SPRING, THEY JUST MIGHT WIN THIS APRIL and AT LEAST START OFF IN THE RACE.

Some will say they need more minor leagues and in years past with a younger Harang and Arroyo as starters I agreed on sending a Homer to the minors.  With the Reds pitching so awful, If a guy with 25 K's and 3 walks is not the Opening Day starter and is maybe sent to the minors, well, I fail to see why they would send their best pitcher to the minors, if they do that.  25 K's and 3 BBs and up there with Kershaw this Spring.  I would throw out the book and make Romano the Opening Day starter.

Theres a lot more to it than how many strikeouts a pitcher has in spring training. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:05 AM)B3ng4Ls420 Wrote: My point is that we always see promising youth and good starts.who cares how about a winning season..people giving passes just like they do with the bengals....pay for mediocrity and thats what u will recieve

Not really sure its fair to compare the Bengals and the Reds. Baseball and football are completely different from an economics stand point. 

Theres a salary cap in football causing more parity and a level playing field. There isnt one in baseball. Teams like the Reds are at a disadvantage because of this. The Reds had a good team from 2009-2014. They acquired talent, went for it, but came up short. No shame in that. 

They couldnt afford to keep all of their best players (economics of baseball coming into play here) so they traded for talent to rebuild and get to the level with young players and to open up the window again. 

When teams rebuild, there are down years. Ask the Cubs and the Indians (who were both in the WS last year). 

The Reds will be good again in a couple years, but you have to be patient. They have made a lot of good moves recently. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote