Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Manager 2019
Okay, I must ask the question. Do the Reds hire Riggleman as the manager next year or not? My personal belief is the Reds will not offer the job right away after the season ends. They will probably interview multiple candidates and there are some interesting prospects available. However, I think Riggleman gets an interview and consideration at the very least. He has done a good job with a team that had tanked early and could not recover. There is always the Barry Larkin crowd. Who would you consider? I personally like Matheny.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
BTW, the Cardinal fans have expressed interest in Riggleman for next year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind John Farrell, Giradi, or Matheny. There's also some good bench coaches that they should certainly target. But my personal opinion is you do not hire Rigs. You can interview him, sure, but I do not want Rigs as my coach next year. He simply stepped in and took over a team that was no way going to stay that "cold". So I think they moved towards the mean, and not something magical Rigs did. He has done a much better job than Price, but I personally don't see him taking this team anywhere.

i also think this team will have a good shot at getting a good skipper. They have a good, young core, good prospects...they're an appealing team to alot of managers.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It is going to be Riggleman because that's who Bob C wants, and they are going to bunt their way into another last place finish.

Terrible.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 12:28 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I wouldn't mind John Farrell, Giradi, or Matheny. There's also some good bench coaches that they should certainly target. But my personal opinion is you do not hire Rigs. You can interview him, sure, but I do not want Rigs as my coach next year. He simply stepped in and took over a team that was no way going to stay that "cold". So I think they moved towards the mean, and not something magical Rigs did. He has done a much better job than Price, but I personally don't see him taking this team anywhere.

i also think this team will have a good shot at getting a good skipper. They have a good, young core, good prospects...they're an appealing team to alot of managers.

I am thinking the same thing. There is a good crop of candidates and I don't think Riggleman is the answer. I look for a selection before Redsfest so the fans can meet and talk with the new manager. As for Larkin, he would put people in the seats and management can't overlook that.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 11:19 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I am thinking the same thing. There is a good crop of candidates and I don't think Riggleman is the answer. I look for a selection before Redsfest so the fans can meet and talk with the new manager. As for Larkin, he would put people in the seats and management can't overlook that.

There's any number of former Reds players who could put butts in seats. That is doable, but none really have any kind of management or coaching record we can look back at to say, Wow, great management potential there..  Rigs stepped in at the right moment for himself personally, but he's made a few questionable calls himself since taking over.. Leaving Homer in too long is one . He's done some good things too, but has also been a victim of the injury bug as well .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 01:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Okay, I must ask the question. Do the Reds hire Riggleman as the manager next year or not? My personal belief is the Reds will not offer the job right away after the season ends. They will probably interview multiple candidates and there are some interesting prospects available. However, I think Riggleman gets an interview and consideration at the very least. He has done a good job with a team that had tanked early and could not recover. There is always the Barry Larkin crowd. Who would you consider? I personally like Matheny.
I like catchers as managers because who better to go out to the mound.  They were in on every play, they know catching, pitching, calling pitches,where defenses should line up, and hitting on offense and defense.  This has made catchers some of the better managers in the game.  Now the ex Red and Chicago Cub World Series Champion Star for first time in over 100 years is Dan Ross.  Here is a Reds World Series catcher that has minor league managing experience. He is a very good manager in the top notch Boston Red Sox organization.  JOE OLIVER.  If it were me, I would offer Joe Oliver the managers job with the Reds. I'm sure he would leave the Red Sox for a major league managers job.  

So I'm looking at JOE OLIVER, or Dan Ross or even Corky Miller who is already on staff with the Reds.  I like catchers as managers. Catchers often make good managers.  Mostly JOE OLIVER because like Sparky Anderson he wins as at the minor league level. When hired, fans wondered who the heck is Sparky Anderson. Winning is winning. I really think Joe Oliver has been a winner in the majors as a player and in the minors as a manager with Red Sox and I think he can win with Reds.

However if Reds hire Barry Larkin, if nothing else, it would sell a few more tickets.  Barry Larkin is already on Reds staff, so it would be an in house promotion. Larkins advantage is that being with the Reds staff, he already knows these Reds players abilities.

In the end, Reds put a lot of money into the ball park and statues.  That's great, but....but now it's time to cut back on ball park spending and put money into putting a good team on the field. This team is lousy and has been for the last 4 years. Cut back on statues and put more money into winning ball players. Don't add seats, don't add statues, don't add sports bars, don't add dining areas, don't add bobble head dolls. Instead add quality ball players. It's way past time to get out of last place in 2019.

Again, I'm old and have watched the Reds since 1965. The best catcher I've ever seen was Johnny Bench and he didn't want to manage saying he liked playing golf. He also said Reds never asked him, which I think is a mistake. The closest catcher to Bench to me was Joe Oliver. Don't throw stats at me, because I am NOT talking stats. I'm talking how in 1990 Championship year, he is only Reds catcher to throw not to just 2nd, but down to 1st or 3rd trying pick offs as Bench did. If nothing else, it kept Reds defense on their toes every play. Oliver was a clutch hitter for Championship Reds, but his catching behind plate was the closest thing to Bench. He could really control a game back there. You won't find that in any stats or how Yogi Berra or Roy Campanella could handle the pitchers, but it is key.

Catchers handle pitchers and make good managers. Reds weakness is pitching. ANSWER : A manger that was a catcher. They make good managers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I could live with Oliver, Ross, or my favorite Corky Miller. I agree catchers make good managers because they essentially call the game. I just hope the Reds pick a good person to manage next year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Managers are shadows of their former selfs in todays game. Bob C. is in fact basically the manager in todays game.

Guys like Sparky Anderson, Earl Weaver and so on ran their team, not so much today. I'm not so sure who the manager is, is as important as getting the starting pitching rotation fixed. We have a team full of 4th and 5th starters. Disco is giving me hope he could be a 3 perhaps even a 2 ? But they've got to improve there.

Having said all of that I'm not so sure Rigs is the answer and I'm fine with going in a different direction.
Reply/Quote
John Farrel has my vote or hometown guy Jim Tracy..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Do we still want Rigs as FT skipper now? He's 10-24 since July 31st, and 56-66 on the year... pretty much on par with his career.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:47 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Do we still want Rigs as FT skipper now? He's 10-24 since July 31st, and 56-66 on the year... pretty much on par with his career.

The Cardinals didn't hesitate offering the full time manager position to the interim manager. I see the Reds opting away from Riggleman and going another direction at this point. We'll know in about a month.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote