Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Abbott
Abbott was added to the taxi squad today and there is some speculation that he could start for the big league club at some point this week. He's been dominant in Louisville, and Lodolo looks like he won't be returning any time soon.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 11:36 AM)samhain Wrote: Abbott was added to the taxi squad today and there is some speculation that he could start for the big league club at some point this week.  He's been dominant in Louisville, and Lodolo looks like he won't be returning any time soon.

They need to do something because Ashcraft has gone into a major funk too. With Lodolo on 60 DL they're gonna need help. I just have a suspicion Ashcraft might be going on DL as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Abbott is starting tomorrow night. Hunter Greene will not pitch Tuesday due to hip stiffness and he will make his next start Sunday.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/reds-to-select-andrew-abbott.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 02:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They need to do something because Ashcraft has gone into a major funk too. With Lodolo on 60 DL they're gonna need help. I just have a suspicion Ashcraft might be going on DL as well.

I'm of the opinion that it's time to look outside the organization to beef up the pitching.  

The offense should be more than fine for the rest of the year and in 2024.  I'm not so sure about the staff.

Having young arms is a wonderful thing, but sometimes a young staff needs a solid vet at the top or in the middle to teach them how to be major leaguers.  Pitchers rarely arrive in MLB ready to be dominant.  Inning-eating middle relievers should be a not brainer.  If they'd have invested in the pen this year, they could be fairly solid divisional contenders.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 08:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm of the opinion that it's time to look outside the organization to beef up the pitching.  

The offense should be more than fine for the rest of the year and in 2024.  I'm not so sure about the staff.

Having young arms is a wonderful thing, but sometimes a young staff needs a solid vet at the top or in the middle to teach them how to be major leaguers.  Pitchers rarely arrive in MLB ready to be dominant.  Inning-eating middle relievers should be a not brainer.  If they'd have invested in the pen this year, they could be fairly solid divisional contenders.

Yup

At the start of the season I had high hopes for the Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft trio being a decent starting core for us. It just hasn't happened. Lodolo is down for who knows how long? Ashcraft has hit a wall. And Greene, who's pitched better of late, and should have a couple more wins with any run support. But he's had his struggles as well. 

We've used 12 different starting pitchers and we're only a little over a 1/3 of the way through the season. I'd love to see them make a trade for a middle of the road starting vet that could come in and help mold these young pitchers and get us a few wins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Watching Abbott's first inning . . . getting serious Tom Browning vibes.

I'm not as concerned with the starters as I am with late inning relief. I said before that they might have moved Senzel to third to showcase him and his versatility for a potential trade with De La Cruz, CES and eventually Marte coming up the pipe. Competing this year is great, but this team is preparing for 2024.

Abbott's second inning had a bit of Tyler Mahle nibbling vibes. After the obligatory Jim Day interview with the parents, onto inning three.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote