Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2023 Games Thread
Ramos the first 6-8 games was on fire, batting like .400. These last 6-8 games he's came back to earth, a lot. And Stephenson still doesn't look comfortable at the plate, at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well no sweep. Offense couldn't get anything going today.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm headed to the Reds v Yankees game on Saturday.

& no, I didn't pay for tickets. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Matt McLain gets the call up from Louisville. He has been playing 2B but is likely going to play shortstop.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 09:27 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Matt McLain gets the call up from Louisville.  He has been playing 2B but is likely going to play shortstop.

Cincinnati Reds: Shortstop Matt McLain called up from Triple-A Louisville (daytondailynews.com)
Reply/Quote
McLain is in the starting lineup and batting 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 08:27 PM)cinci4life Wrote: McLain is in the starting lineup and batting 2nd.

1 for 4, 2 runs scored with a hustle double and a walk. He looks like a baseball player.

David Bell's bench was 2 shortstops and 2 catchers. It might be the first game where he didn't make a substitution other than pitchers. Bell can't handle that. I expect either Newman to be DFA'd or Barerro to be sent down.

Games in Colorado are crap shoots and there's not a lot that can be taken away from them. Build up your hitting stats and then move to the next series because wins and losses are toss ups.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
What is going on with Hunter Greene? The Reds sign him to a huge contract and he starts pitching bad. Here we go with another long term large contract not panning out. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 02:47 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: What is going on with Hunter Greene? The Reds sign him to a huge contract and he starts pitching bad. Here we go with another long term large contract not panning out. lol

I know right

I realize they're in Colorado, I realize Greene is still young. However, to me Greene has been regressing over his last several games even going back to last season IIRC? 4 innings pitched, 9 hits!! 6 runs, he got blasted. In 43 innings pitched this season he's gave up 51 hits. He's been getting tattooed on a regular basis.

I hope they get things figured out with our ace because what he's been doing ain't working.
Reply/Quote
I almost fell out of my chair laughing last night over that Moose homerun.
Reply/Quote
I was looking at the Reds' first round picks and they're working out at a pretty high rate right now.

Since 2015, our first round picks have been:
2015: Tyler Stevenson, Starting Catcher
2016: Nick Senzel, Starting 3rd baseman who is starting to finally come into his own (for now. EDLC is coming and may push him into the outfield)
2016: Taylor Trammel, Mariners' starting LF, granted he is not playing great (Part of the Trevor Bauer trade that got Cincy its first Cy Young Award winner)
2017: Hunter Greene, Ace starting pitcher, big extension
2017: Jeter Downs, Part of the Homer Bailey salary dump/Yasiel Puig trade, is currently in the minors for Washington.
2018: Johnathan India, starting 2nd baseman, rookie of the year recipient
2019: Nick Lodolo, 2nd starting pitcher (some think he's better than Greene)
2020: Austin Hendrick, high school player, dealt with some injuries, but hit 21 home runs in 2022 and is hitting .270 so far this year in A+
2021: Matt McClain, recently called up and already in the #2 slot, starting shortstop (for now. EDLC is coming and may push him somewhere else)
2021: Jay Allen, too soon to tell
2022: Cam Collier, too soon to tell
2022: Sal Stewart, too soon to tell

So, with 9 first round picks between 2015 and 2021, the Reds have their starting Catcher, starting 3rd baseman, two quality starting pitchers, starting 2nd baseman, starting shortstop, 2 prospects who were flipped in decent trades (they ultimately didn't work out, but they were meant to be "win now" trades) and 1 player who has not yet reached the majors due to injuries and having been a high school draftee.

I was just watching the game last night and thinking "Man...this team is FILLED with first round picks. Is that how other teams build? Just hit on every first round pick and build an entire team of them?"

I don't know how other teams do converting their draft picks to major league players, but this feels different from previous Reds teams. Looking before 2015, I see a ton of full misses who barely even made it to the majors, let alone secured a starting spot on the roster. Alex Blandino, Nick Howard, Phillip Ervin, Jeff Gelalich, Nick Travieso were picked between 2012 and 2014 and none of them amounted to much of anything. They did draft Michael Lorenzen and Jesse Winker in that time frame who have been decent players, but very injury prone and inconsistent.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 09:24 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I know right

I realize they're in Colorado, I realize Greene is still young. However, to me Greene has been regressing over his last several games even going back to last season IIRC? 4 innings pitched, 9 hits!! 6 runs, he got blasted. In 43 innings pitched this season he's gave up 51 hits. He's been getting tattooed on a regular basis.

I hope they get things figured out with our ace because what he's been doing ain't working.

He badly needs an offspeed pitch that he can throw with control.  It's definitely possible that this happens considering his age.  However, if this does not  materialize, he's either going to get bumped down the rotation or wind up in the pen.  

I'm not impatient, but it's going to be tough to watch if this scrappy team actually manages to continue playing meaningful games into the late summer.  
Reply/Quote
Cessa has been officially released.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 05:37 PM)samhain Wrote: He badly needs an offspeed pitch that he can throw with control.  It's definitely possible that this happens considering his age.  However, if this does not  materialize, he's either going to get bumped down the rotation or wind up in the pen.  

I'm not impatient, but it's going to be tough to watch if this scrappy team actually manages to continue playing meaningful games into the late summer.  

Yes

He's got to try something different. Start developing a different curve ball. Something?? Because he's getting hit way to hard way to often.
Reply/Quote
Reds win! Great start for Williamson. Damn shame he didn't get the win though.
Reply/Quote
Williamson had a hell of a first game!! A two hitter at Coors and almost 6 innings, 1 run. Hope it wasn't just a fluke.

Senzel with dinger and up to .275 batting average. He gets it up there much more and he's gonna break all the major league records. Ninja

Just hoping Lodolo can get back soon and back on track. And they get Greene's issues figured out. I just want to see some competitive baseball.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 01:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Williamson had a hell of a first game!! A two hitter at Coors and almost 6 innings, 1 run. Hope it wasn't just a fluke.

Senzel with dinger and up to .275 batting average. He gets it up there much more and he's gonna break all the major league records. Ninja

Just hoping Lodolo can get back soon and back on track. And they get Greene's issues figured out. I just want to see some competitive baseball.

Lodolo is expected to be out at least 4 weeks.
Reply/Quote
This game went to hell fast. Reds had a 5-0 lead through the 4th and give up 11 runs over the next 2 innings.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 06:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: This game went to hell fast. Reds had a 5-0 lead through the 4th and give up 11 runs over the next 2 innings.

Yup

Ashcraft was like hell all the other pitchers have been blasted, I might as well join them.
Reply/Quote
Here Come The New York Yankees. A rare chance to see them play in Cincinnati

Reds in home series play are 3 wins, 2 losses, 2 ties

The Reds have a winning record at home in GABP, but struggle on the road.

Lively will start for Reds and whoever replaces him, because he has only gone a couple innings as a reliever type starter, often with Law or somebody coming in after Lively short pitch count is up. Schmidt is on mound for Yankees and he has a 6 run something ERA.

I think Cole just pitched for Yankees, so luckily Reds miss him. Reds fans get too see Aaron Judge in person.

Reds beat New York Mets when last at home in GABP. Getting the New York Sweep over Yankees would be great for the Cincinnati Fans buying tickets.

Keep winning at Home and beat The New York Yankees.

I would guess first time Yankees in Cincinnati was 1939 World Series, then 1961 World Series, and 1976 World Series. They may have played in Cincinnati when AL started playing NL during season, but I would guess not that often. I would put Yankees in Cincinnati at around 5 times in baseball history, give or take series. I know Yankees in Cincinnati is a rare thing. Should be a sell out crowd every game, Reds fans but also people wanting to see The Yankees make a rare trip to Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana area.

I'll be watching on TV. There is excitement to The Yankees coming to Cincinnati. It doesn't happen very often.

Which Reds announcer was also known as a Yankee ? Reds fans should know this answer.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote