Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2023 Games Thread
I’ll be there tonight, looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yankees cheating again. Pitcher comes out of the dugout and gets inspected and they find something on his wrist but they tell him to go wash it off. David Bell of course questions why he's not ejected especially given past history. He gets heated as the discussion goes on and gets tossed. He absolutely had every right to be pissed about this one.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 08:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes

He's got to try something different. Start developing a different curve ball. Something?? Because he's getting hit way to hard way to often.

He's getting hit earlier, too.  It used to take a time or two through the lineup to get to him, but they're figuring things out much quicker now.
Reply/Quote
Attendance was over 35 thousand, and Reds need the money.

Reds and Yankees play Saturday at around 4 PM and look for even bigger crowd.

Sunday starts early at 11:30 AM, but that is close to Noon. Should be a good Sunday crowd, maybe some people coming in after the game starts.

This is a series the Reds should have over 100 thousand fans spending money, and again, Reds ownership needs it in a big way after no fans in 2020 and few fans in 2022. Like the old Flip Wilson as Reverend Leroy of The Church of What's Happening Now : " There hasn't been any money in the collection plate lately. I'm wasting my time showing up. Now I know everybody wants this church to run, but in order for this church to run, first it has to crawl. This church has got to crawl.....Then after this church has crawled, it's got to stand up and walk, This church has got to walk.....Then after this church can walk, it's got to run. This church has got to run. But in order for this church to run, it's going to take money.....And the congregation yelled out, Let it Crawl Rev, Let it Crawl. ".....Now this applies because for The Reds to get better in 2024, it's going to take MONEY, and The Reds getting over 100 thousand fans off The Yankees in Cincinnati would bring in a lot of MONEY.

Hopefully Reds can win a game or two. Luke Weaver for Reds Saturday and Yankees pitcher is still not determined. So not a star pitcher. Sunday is Hunter Greene and Severino. ......Make it Run Rev, Make It Run....Hopefully NY Yankees fill seats at GABP for MONEY Reds need to put together a team in 2024.....That's what Babe Ruth did, every city he played on the road at made needed money for those cities to build their teams up. In Friday loss, Reds fans did get to see an Aaron Judge monster home run in person.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The whole team looked kind of star struck and Senzel really choked big time and killed off the rally in the 6th.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out in a 3-2 ballgame and then he goes full Alex Blandino and barely lifts the bat off of his shoulder. Watching it live I said to my boss, "That's the game. They had them against the ropes and the last thing that they needed right there was a strikeout and he gave them nothing but a fvcking check swing."

As long as Dumb Bell is the manager of this team, they will continue to play stupid baseball. My coaches would have flat out lit me up for not swinging once in a situation like that. Like Pete Rose always said. "See the ball . . . hit the ball". I would have swung at the first slider he took for a strike on the outside corner of the plate and I would have tried for a ground ball to the right side. If that happens and I ground out to 2nd, Fraley scores and it's a tie ball game. If the ball gets through, we're up by one.

Nope.

He went up to the plate "lookin' for his pitch" and wound up watching a two strike fastball go right over the heart of the plate.

When you go up to the plate unprepared and guessing, the fans see nothing but stupid baseball.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Looking at box score, I would say Reds bullpen got hammered in the 9th inning. However I don't see Reds better relievers in the game. Maybe they needed a game off.

Another Game Today

And Hopefully 40 thousand or more fans brining their money. Nice Weather, Saturday In The Park. Almost feels like the 4th of July with Memorial Day next weekend. A man selling ice cream. just like the song, can you dig it? Yes I can and over Ohio winter we waited for a long time, a Saturday in The Park. New York Yankees and Aaron Judge in town. Good day for fans to buy a ticket and go to the ballgame. A day light game, home before dark. Great summertime Baseball in Cincinnati Today off the banks of the mighty Ohio River with steamboats and regular boats on the river. The great view of both Cincinnati Ohio but also Covington Kentucky and The River and Bridges. PLAY BALL

Good day for a Brat or a Hot Dog and some Ice Cream. Memorial Day type Baseball and The Yankees in Cincy, which you can count on your fingers how many times they have came to Cincinnati over the history of baseball. Maybe if game is close, we see Reds better relievers today. Maybe Reds get to wear the Viking helmet, which will tick off Rizzo. With Cubs, Rizzo always got mad at any Reds celebrations, Rizzo even would charge the field and want to fight Chapman and others. So hit homers and wear the Vikings helmet and tick off Rizzo.

Chapman. Will there be a Chapman appearance on the mound back in GABP. He was one of Reds best relievers ever. Plus his saves got Cubs to game 7 in World Series, he was over pitched by Game 7, but Cubs don't get to game 7 and win first series in forever without Chapman that season. Of course I would like to see Reds Diaz get the save today.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You have Joe and Marty honored at GABP but also Waite Hoyt. The long time Reds announcer who was a star pitcher in the Babe Ruth ere of Yankees. He had a lot of great Yankees stories. One was in Roaring 20's playing in Chicago, they went to a speak easy. Joking, they said they wanted to meet The Boss. These Mob guys took them back into the office and suddenly the joke wasn't so funny. He said they saw 3 great men, a picture of Washington and Lincoln and behind a desk in the middle was Al Capone. Turned out Big Al enjoyed meeting The Yankees.....Often Waite would say Babe Ruth did so much for children and was a good guy, and nobody better not say anything bad about The Babe around him. ...So remembering Waite Hoyt a Yankees play at Cincinnati. I think Hoyt is honored at both Yankee Stadium and Cincinnati Ball Park, and I think the Hall of Fame.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
So i get the idea of keeping the score tied in the 9th and trying to win it in the bottom of the inning but when both teams have the bottom of their orders coming up you have to expect extras. So why bring Diaz in for the bottom of their order in the 9th when their top of the order is very likely coming up in the 10th? Got to take a chance with Gibault in the 9th and save your best reliever for their best hitters. So damn stupid.
Reply/Quote
Attendance over 41 thousand. Watching on TV, I didn't see an empty seat. Fans were packed in like sardines.

That brings it to over 76 thousand so far for Yankees with a game Sunday to put Reds over 100 thousand in seats for the weekend.

After no fans in 2020 and few fans in 2022, Reds needed this Money Making Weekend. Plus St Louis Fans always come to Cincinnati and so the Cardinals games should be good sized crowds. Reds should make a lot of MONEY off this home stand, and Reds need it. The No Fans 2020 and Few Fans 2022 was forcing owners to cut players and think of moving to another city. Weekend of Fans packing the stands like this will help owners make some money and with the Votto & Moose contracts over in off season also, be able to rebuild as Bengals did.

Pete Rose was even at the game in a cap that looked like a baseball, sitting next to Yankees bench. Camera caught Judge talking to Pete and them both laughing as Judge headed to on deck circle. Good to see Pete Rose at a sellout stadium Reds game.

OK, Reds lost. They still have a winning record at home. Maybe on Sunday Hunter Greene brings in a win to avoid the sweep.

An early 11:30 AM start and should be another 40 thousand to go over 100 thousand fans this weekend, and people, THAT is a Reds Win, because Reds were in dire need of fans in the stands and making some MONEY, an important Stat many fans forget, but Reds have been losing money. Reds needed these large crowds to stay in Cincinnati and get better players going forward.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2023, 10:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Attendance over 41 thousand. Watching on TV, I didn't see an empty seat. Fans were packed in like sardines.  

That brings it to over 76 thousand so far for Yankees with a game Sunday to put Reds over 100 thousand in seats for the weekend.  

After no fans in 2020 and few fans in 2022, Reds needed this Money Making Weekend.  Plus St Louis Fans always come to Cincinnati and so the Cardinals games should be good sized crowds.  Reds should make a lot of MONEY off this home stand, and Reds need it.  The No Fans 2020 and Few Fans 2022 was forcing owners to cut players and think of moving to another city.  Weekend of Fans packing the stands like this will help owners make some money and with the Votto & Moose contracts over in off season also, be able to rebuild as Bengals did.

Pete Rose was even at the game in a cap that looked like a baseball, sitting next to Yankees bench.  Camera caught Judge talking to Pete and them both laughing as Judge headed to on deck circle.  Good to see Pete Rose at a sellout stadium Reds game.  

OK, Reds lost.  They still have a winning record at home.  Maybe on Sunday Hunter Greene brings in a win to avoid the sweep.  

An early 11:30 AM start and should be another 40 thousand to go over 100 thousand fans this weekend, and people, THAT is a Reds Win, because Reds were in dire need of fans in the stands and making some MONEY,  an important Stat many fans forget, but Reds have been losing money.  Reds needed these large crowds to stay in Cincinnati and get better players going forward.

No one has any clue if the Reds are losing money or not.  Stop with this nonsense.  

They definitely cry poor, but they also carry a sub-major league payroll.  When ownership doesn't spend on players, where do you think all of the TV and shared money goes?  

No one other than actual ownership has a clue how much money they make or lose with the exception of ownership themselves.  They are not required to open up their books, and they certainly are not forthcoming about operating expenses vs profit.  I don't believe a damn word they say.  if they were really broke, they could easily prove it by opening the books.  The Castellinis are milking the Reds as a personal cash cow.  

These guys are businessmen.  They don't buy things to lose money.  if the Reds were putting them in the poor house, they'd sell in short order, which they very easily could.  This is not happening, therefore I have to assume they are making money.
Reply/Quote
Bell tossed in game 1 and now Boone tossed in the bottom of the 1st today. India was on 1st with 2 outs when Steer hit a fly ball down the right field line. Right fielder makes a sliding catch attempt that hit him clearly in fair territory just before the line and hits the turf with India running hard and near 3rd base as the ump signals foul ball. Reds challenge of course and call is overturned and they give India home and Steer 2nd base. Boone was likely pissed about runner placement and tossed pretty quick.
Reply/Quote
Reds lose 4-1 and swept. Had the winning run at the plate in the 9th. Bell got tossed in the 7th after an obvious quick pitch by Peralta that wasn't called.
Reply/Quote
OK, Yankees sweep Reds

However 110 thousand at Cincinnati Reds ball park over weekend. Reds finally had some fans fill the stands and Reds owners need that Money to stay in Cincinnati and rebuild a better team.

Reds in series play at home are 3 win, 3 losses, 2 ties. Better than their road record.

Up next is St Louis and their fans travel well also. Look for a lot of Cardinals fans in Cincy and continued good attendance and Money rolling in at Memorial Day time. Now if Reds could fill stands when Padres come in before the 4th of July Weekend with 4th after the Saturday and Sunday. Good Memorial Day and 4th of July crowds is just what Reds need to build up money for 2024.

I know most fans will just consider this weekend a loss, but all the fans for Yankees is a win in the Big Picture of money for a 2024 rebuild, which Reds need like Bengals needed after Marvin fired and Who Dey became New Day.

Now had there only been 10 thousand in the stands each game of Yankees in town, that would have been a loss, even if Reds would have won. The Reds really needed Yankees to help fill seats in GABP. The stadium empty games aren't even worth turning the lights on for.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2023, 03:29 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, Yankees sweep Reds

However 110 thousand at Cincinnati Reds ball park over weekend.  Reds finally had some fans fill the stands and Reds owners need that Money to stay in Cincinnati and rebuild a better team.

Reds in series play at home are 3 win, 3 losses, 2 ties.   Better than their road record.

Up next is St Louis and their fans travel well also.  Look for a lot of Cardinals fans in Cincy and continued good attendance and Money rolling in at Memorial Day time.  Now if Reds could fill stands when Padres come in before the 4th of July Weekend with 4th after the Saturday and Sunday.  Good Memorial Day and 4th of July crowds is just what Reds need to build up money for 2024.

I know most fans will just consider this weekend a loss, but all the fans for Yankees is a win in the Big Picture of money for a 2024 rebuild, which Reds need like Bengals needed after Marvin fired and Who Dey became New Day.

Now had there only been 10 thousand in the stands each game of Yankees in town, that would have been a loss, even if Reds would have won. The Reds really needed Yankees to help fill seats in GABP.  The stadium empty games aren't even worth turning the lights on for.

Meh, big deal..  It's not like they're going to use that weekend revenue to sign anyone to any meaningful contract.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In their last 7 games the Reds have 1 win. Every game that Greene starts I'm expecting to see his "breakout game" and it's just not happening. He's got to develop another pitch or something. He's getting hit hard early every outing!!

They're 19-27 now but still only 5 games out. Their next 4 are at home vs. a hot Cardinals team. Lets hope the Cards are due a cool off. Then it's Cubs on the road.

I'm just hoping they don't end May at 10 games out.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2023, 01:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In their last 7 games the Reds have 1 win. Every game that Greene starts I'm expecting to see his "breakout game" and it's just not happening. He's got to develop another pitch or something. He's getting hit hard early every outing!!

They're 19-27 now but still only 5 games out. Their next 4 are at home vs. a hot Cardinals team. Lets hope the Cards are due a cool off. Then it's Cubs on the road.

I'm just hoping they don't end May at 10 games out.

Don’t really think he’s pitching that bad. He just isn’t getting any offensive support.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2023, 02:46 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Don’t really think he’s pitching that bad. He just isn’t getting any offensive support.

He's not pitching that good either.

I get it, his run support has been bad in several games. But how many team aces have an ERA of 4.68? Some of Greene's problems are Greene's
Reply/Quote
GABP looks empty compared to filled up for Yankees over weekend. I guess it's the summer when schools out that people take vacations to come from St Louis to Cincy.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds walk off on the Cards win 6-5!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2023, 11:01 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds walk off on the Cards win 6-5!!!

Senzel's post game interview was short. LOL! A little bit too much of the potty mouth for Jim Day. His hug of Day before the interview was pretty cool to see.

Williamson pitched pretty good . . . his biggest nemesis in the minor leagues popped up with 4 walks but he showed that he belongs up in the big leagues.

If Lodolo's injury doesn't hamper his development, this could be quite the rotation in the next year or two
Greene
Ashcraft
Lodolo
Williamson
Abbott
I really like Weaver but he's probably going to be a starter on another team by next season.

I was too busy lately to watch both the Reds and Angels so I just started watching Friday's Angels' game and they flashed this stat when Hunter Renfroe came to the plate.

Top OPS at home
1.288 Hunter Renfroe - Angels
1,177 Nick Castellanos - Phillies
1.153 Nolan Gorman - Cardinals
1.134 Anthony Rizzo - Yankees
1.078 Johnathon India - Reds
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote