Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2023 Games Thread
(05-23-2023, 12:28 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Senzel's post game interview was short. LOL! A little bit too much of the potty mouth for Jim Day. His hug of Day before the interview was pretty cool to see.

Williamson pitched pretty good . . . his biggest nemesis in the minor leagues popped up with 4 walks but he showed that he belongs up in the big leagues.

If Lodolo's injury doesn't hamper his development, this could be quite the rotation in the next year or two
Greene
Ashcraft
Lodolo
Williamson
Abbott
I really like Weaver but he's probably going to be a starter on another team by next season.

I was too busy lately to watch both the Reds and Angels so I just started watching Friday's Angels' game and they flashed this stat when Hunter Renfroe came to the plate.

Top OPS at home
1.288 Hunter Renfroe - Angels
1,177 Nick Castellanos - Phillies
1.153 Nolan Gorman - Cardinals
1.134 Anthony Rizzo - Yankees
1.078 Johnathon India - Reds

I sure hope they get it together. Ashcraft got rocked again yesterday for the 2nd game in a row I do believe. I understand they're all young and there's going to be some growing pains. But man it's tough to watch sometimes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice to see the bats come alive tonight!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
ESPN just updated their top 50 prospect rankings, and Elly De La Cruz is now the #1 prospect in baseball (according to ESPN).

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/37708227/top-50-2023-mlb-prospects-updated-de-la-cruz-mayer-holliday

The article itself is rather bland, only giving 1 sentence at most for each prospect, but that's still pretty awesome.
Quote:De La Cruz has continued to improve his polish at the plate while also continuing to show eye-popping 70- and 80-grade tools all over the field, but all of the top six players here look like they could become 65 FV prospects.

Also making the top 50 are Matt McLain at 19, Noelvi Marte at 48, Cam Collier in the "late cuts" section, but if they had assigned numbers to that list, he's the 5th player listed, which would make him the 55th prospect, and then Andrew Abbott made the "Risers: 50 FV now, 45 FV or lower preseason" list. Again, if we assume they're listed in order of how they would have been ranked, Abbott is the 5th player listed here, which would make him the 70th ranked prospect.

The only player of those that got an individual sentence was McLain.
Quote:A few slots down, McLain has made a swing adjustment that lets his offensive tools play. He is now in the big leagues, as is a thriving Bradley.

I don't know what the point of prospect rankings that don't have some form of scouting report attached to them are, but it's still cool to see a Reds player be ranked as the #1 prospect in baseball. That hasn't happened since Jay Bruce!
Reply/Quote
Reds have a chance to WIN the St Louis series in Cincinnati today. I get game on Bally Ohio TV at 12:30 and I'm retired, so I'll watch to see if Reds WIN this series. Reds have played better at home than on the road. They have a winning record at home, but lousy on the road, which you would expect in any sport with a young team rebuilding.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds split with Cardinals

Reds in series play at home are 3 Wins, 3 Losses, 3 Ties, which is still far better than their awful road record

Reds off to Wrigley Field for Memorial Day Weekend and I'm sure a sold out crowd of Chicago Cubs Holiday Fans.

So Reds end April and May playing good ball for hometown fans, but not so hot on the road. Can Reds improve on their bad road record in Chicago ???
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Watching Reds ahead 7 to 0 over Cubs in top of 5th. Hunter Greene has a No Hitter going into bottom of 5th. I doubt he will get a Complete Game because his pitch count up, but he could get the WIN, and No Hits and a lot of K's. Cubs batters at plate are making that face as if Greene is really on his game today. That look of frustration and not much they can do while Greene pitching today. Cubs only chance is if Reds relievers blow such a big lead.

A Road Win would be nice.

OK, 5th over. Hunter has 11 K's and No Hits. However 98 pitches, so why blow his arm out as Reds once did with Wayne Simpson. Take him out now, he gets a 5 inning pitched no hitter of 11 K's.

Bell has Hunter back out in the 6th. I hope they don't hurt his arm. Now over 100 pitches and no outs.

OK, now 6 innings of No Hit Ball, but up to around 110 pitches. That's a good days work. Get him out. Do NOT have him throw 150 pitches or more, that would make Bell and Dumb Bell.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Finally some offensive support for Greene!
Reply/Quote
Hey, Greene gets 6 no hit innings and run support = Win

I hope this is the turning point in his season.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 08:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hey, Greene gets 6 no hit innings and run support = Win

I hope this is the turning point in his season.

Very encouraging.  

This team (not this ownership) has surprised the heck out of me.  They are a lot of fun to watch.  I am not nearly as apathetic as I thought I would be.
Reply/Quote
Watched the replay tonight and thought it was live. lol Saw the sun shining brightly at 9pm. Realized it was a replay then. Greene pitched a great game for once.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Reds win 8-5 and move into 3rd place in the division 4 games out of first. Could be short lived depending on the Cards who are up 2-1 in the 10th.

EDIT: Cards win and are in 3rd by % points and Reds in 4th.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 11:16 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds win 8-5 and move into 3rd place in the division 4 games out of first. Could be short lived depending on the Cards who are up 2-1 in the 10th.

EDIT: Cards win and are in 3rd by % points and Reds in 4th.

The ownership might want to pretend that they're trying to win.

It's not that laughable.  This division is hot garbage.  

Bring up Elly after June 2nd, call up CES shortly after.  Add pop to the lineup, see what happens.  

At the very least, De La Cruz is banging down the door.  He has absolutely nothing left to prove in Louisville.  CES might need to learn to take a walk, but whatever.  

And aside:  Something I really like about this group; they have a leadoff hitter that gets on base.  Friedl is hitting like 326 and does whatever he needs to at a given point in the game.  Hell, they have 3 leadoff hitters, tbh.  India and McClain could do the job just fine.  

They have the basecloggers as Dusty would say.  Time to bring up the slugger.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 11:39 PM)samhain Wrote: The ownership might want to pretend that they're trying to win.

It's not that laughable.  This division is hot garbage.  

Bring up Elly after June 2nd, call up CES shortly after.  Add pop to the lineup, see what happens.  

At the very least, De La Cruz is banging down the door.  He has absolutely nothing left to prove in Louisville.  CES might need to learn to take a walk, but whatever.  

And aside:  Something I really like about this group; they have a leadoff hitter that gets on base.  Friedl is hitting like 326 and does whatever he needs to at a given point in the game.  Hell, they have 3 leadoff hitters, tbh.  India and McClain could do the job just fine.  

They have the bascloggers as Dusty would say.  Time to bring up the slugger.
I've said, since India's rookie year, he's a #2 or #3 hitter, not a leadoff hitter. He didn't "take off" his rookie year because Bell inserted him at lead off . . . he "took off" because Max Schrock was in the process of taking his job from him. He was about to be sent down because he was still way too cautious at the plate when Schrock had calf issues. So he stayed up and Bell moved him to leadoff. After watching Max Schrock successfully attack pitches early in the count, India started getting more aggressive and much more confident at the plate and the rest is history.

Friedl is awesome as a leadoff hitter. He should be batting leadoff everyday, not just against righties. Bell drives me crazy with that shit. I get the righty/lefty thing, but show some feel for the game once in awhile. Have faith in your guys to buck a trend every now and then.

BUT . . . this may come as a shock to all of you . . . I will give Bell credit, yes, credit, for a couple of things. Putting McClain in the starting lineup on day 1 and also for putting him right in at #2 in the batting order. Screw that #7 or #8 in the order until you show me that you can play in this league . . . show me right now that we can rely on you. Good move by Bell. One of the announcers mentioned McClain reminds them of Jose Altuve . . . yep. That is exactly who I think of when watching him at the plate. They both have a "Bring it, *****" approach to the at bat.

I was really, REALLY happy for Casali for getting some RBI hits the last two games. I hope that the Reds don't screw up and dump him because of his bat. He's too valuable for this team. He caught Hunter's great game and Williamson's third start. With this very young pitching staff, he's just too damn important right now. Stephenson is too green to handle them and Maile's pretty good, but Casali seems to keep things calm and in control better than both. Great sacrifice bunt, too.

Does anybody really want Joey Votto back at this point? Steer and Stephenson are playing just fine at first base and I'm more interested in watching both of them bat than I am about watching Votto. A lot of guys are looking more comfortable at the plate but those at bats are going to dry up. Votto's return and the soon to arrive rookies are going to lead to a crowded outfield. Ramos, Fairchild, Benson, Myers and Newman are going to be on the outside looking in or DFA'd . . . De La Cruz and CES aren't going to be bit players. They're going to be starting and Marte' might not be far behind. Senzel and India might be heading to the outfield and Senzel's 3rd base play might just be for showcasing him for a trade for pitching. Fraley might be another player on the move to make room for the kids. They need at least one set up man and getting two solid late inning relievers would do a lot for this young team that's about to get younger.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2023, 08:10 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I've said, since India's rookie year, he's a #2 or #3 hitter, not a leadoff hitter. He didn't "take off" his rookie year because Bell inserted him at lead off . . . he "took off" because Max Schrock was in the process of taking his job from him. He was about to be sent down because he was still way too cautious at the plate when Schrock had calf issues. So he stayed up and Bell moved him to leadoff. After watching Max Schrock successfully attack pitches early in the count, India started getting more aggressive and much more confident at the plate and the rest is history.

Friedl is awesome as a leadoff hitter. He should be batting leadoff everyday, not just against righties. Bell drives me crazy with that shit. I get the righty/lefty thing, but show some feel for the game once in awhile. Have faith in your guys to buck a trend every now and then.

BUT . . . this may come as a shock to all of you . . . I will give Bell credit, yes, credit, for a couple of things. Putting McClain in the starting lineup on day 1 and also for putting him right in at #2 in the batting order. Screw that #7 or #8 in the order until you show me that you can play in this league . . . show me right now that we can rely on you. Good move by Bell. One of the announcers mentioned McClain reminds them of Jose Altuve . . . yep. That is exactly who I think of when watching him at the plate. They both have a "Bring it, *****" approach to the at bat.

I was really, REALLY happy for Casali for getting some RBI hits the last two games. I hope that the Reds don't screw up and dump him because of his bat. He's too valuable for this team. He caught Hunter's great game and Williamson's third start. With this very young pitching staff, he's just too damn important right now. Stephenson is too green to handle them and Maile's pretty good, but Casali seems to keep things calm and in control better than both. Great sacrifice bunt, too.

Does anybody really want Joey Votto back at this point? Steer and Stephenson are playing just fine at first base and I'm more interested in watching both of them bat than I am about watching Votto. A lot of guys are looking more comfortable at the plate but those at bats are going to dry up. Votto's return and the soon to arrive rookies are going to lead to a crowded outfield. Ramos, Fairchild, Benson, Myers and Newman are going to be on the outside looking in or DFA'd . . . De La Cruz and CES aren't going to be bit players. They're going to be starting and Marte' might not be far behind. Senzel and India might be heading to the outfield and Senzel's 3rd base play might just be for showcasing him for a trade for pitching. Fraley might be another player on the move to make room for the kids. They need at least one set up man and getting two solid late inning relievers would do a lot for this young team that's about to get younger.

I think a Votto return threatens Stephenson more than anyone.  TySteve hasn't regained his pop after the shoulder injury, and he's not on Casali's level when it comes to handling pitchers.  The difference when Casali is in there is pretty amazing.  He doesn't hit much, but what he provides for the young staff might be more important.

Stephenson loses even more value when you put him at first or DH.  He's a plus-hitting catcher when he's whole, but he's not that special as a DH or 1B.  If both Votto and CES come to Cincinnati ready to play, it would be damn near criminal to take time away from Steer.  He's quietly putting together one of the better rookie campaigns in MLB.  He should hit cleanup daily until he gives a reason not to.  

Also hate to move Senzel from 3rd.  They may have to, but he's been a revelation there.  

If EDLC and CES came to the big league club, there will be a lot of decisions to make.  Votto is even more of a wild card.  I'm okay with giving him a victory lap, but iff they hang around and contend for the division, he needs to be hitting to stay in there.  

All that said, this is an amazingly good situation to be in for this team.  We're seriously talking about them having too many good position players in a year that some thought would be a near 100 loss season.  Krall might have actually done this rebuild the right way.  If the talent in the minors continues to live up to hype, then this rebuild is a lot less Pittsburgh and a lot more Houston.  
Reply/Quote
I like that Reds are SWEEPING Cubs series in Chicago over Memorial Day Weekend.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2023, 06:01 PM)kevin Wrote: I like that Reds are SWEEPING Cubs series in Chicago over Memorial Day Weekend.

Game ain't over yet. Never say crap like this until it's actually over.
Reply/Quote
Sweep is official!!! First sweep of Cubs in Wrigley in 10 years.
Reply/Quote
Matt McLain may just be on a hot streak to start his major league career, but my God is he electric. Currently hitting .380/.456/.600/1.056 and is averaging 4.79 pitches per at bat (for context, Joey Votto, patient hitter extraordinaire, is averaging 4.08 P/PA in his career)

50 ABs is a small sample size, but even when this level of production subsides, he still has great defense and base running ability as well. I think he could be our every day shortstop for the next 6 to 10 years.

Elly De La Cruz is similarly hot in the month of May, hitting .348/.459/.764/1.223 in 89 ABs in AAA Louisville, including 9 HR, 1 triple and 8 2B. The most exciting part may be that he's only struck out 22 times which, after you factor in his 18 BBs, 1 HBP and 1 Sac fly, is only a 20.1% strike out rate, which is almost 10 points better than his career average (prior to this month) of 29.9%, which was basically considered his only weakness as a prospect.

If McLain sticks at SS, that would mean EDLC would likely take over 3B (which he may be more suited for anyway) long term, kicking Senzel out into the outfield.

What a month of baseball!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2023, 06:37 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Sweep is official!!! First sweep of Cubs in Wrigley in 10 years.

So sweet, got the broom out on the road.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2023, 07:20 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Matt McLain may just be on a hot streak to start his major league career, but my God is he electric. Currently hitting .380/.456/.600/1.056 and is averaging 4.79 pitches per at bat (for context, Joey Votto, patient hitter extraordinaire, is averaging 4.08 P/PA in his career)

50 ABs is a small sample size, but even when this level of production subsides, he still has great defense and base running ability as well. I think he could be our every day shortstop for the next 6 to 10 years.

Elly De La Cruz is similarly hot in the month of May, hitting .348/.459/.764/1.223 in 89 ABs in AAA Louisville, including 9 HR, 1 triple and 8 2B. The most exciting part may be that he's only struck out 22 times which, after you factor in his 18 BBs, 1 HBP and 1 Sac fly, is only a 20.1% strike out rate, which is almost 10 points better than his career average (prior to this month) of 29.9%, which was basically considered his only weakness as a prospect.

If McLain sticks at SS, that would mean EDLC would likely take over 3B (which he may be more suited for anyway) long term, kicking Senzel out into the outfield.

What a month of baseball!

I like RF for EDLC.  A player with his tall, lanky build might take a beating in the infield.  
Reply/Quote