Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2024 thread
I agree Bell should be fired, if for any other reason, there are no results. He’s like 50 games under .500. His winning seasons were like 2 games over .500. This is mediocre, and we watched this for 17 years with Marvin Lewis. Are we going down that path again.

Hitting has been an issue with this team for a while. Pitching is OK, but that is not going to win too many games with this hitting. Too many left handed hitters on team that have to be pulled from the game, because they can’t hit a left handed pitcher. Too many hitter are free swingers and try to hit a home run every time, instead of trying for a bad hit to drive in some runs.

Bell never says anything bad about how poor this team is playing, just like Marvin, and I have had enough.

Move on
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 10:44 AM)Timanky12 Wrote: I agree Bell should be fired, if for any other reason, there are no results.  He’s like 50 games under .500.  His winning seasons were like 2 games over .500. This is mediocre, and we watched this for 17 years with Marvin Lewis. Are we going down that path again.

Hitting has been an issue with this team for a while. Pitching is OK, but that is not going to win too many games with this hitting.  Too many left handed hitters  on team that have to be pulled from the game, because they can’t hit a left handed pitcher. Too many hitter are free swingers and try to hit a home run every time, instead of trying for a bad hit to drive in some runs.

Bell never says anything bad about how poor this team is playing, just like Marvin, and I have had enough.

Move on

My issue with him is his constant tinkering.  The culture of reckless base running is hurting them as well.  

The team we have here has a lot of potential, but much of the talent is still very much unproven.  

Sometimes I feel like Bell is a not-so-great manager that gets by due to other obvious flaws in the organization.  He's a problem, but he's rarely THE problem.  Problem A1 is the fact that the ownership is eternally cheap and hamstrung by what they are willing to spend on talent.  Major League talent.  

This past FA period was an overall flop.  They basically did well with bullpen guys (except for Pagan), but did little to help the need for better RH power.  They made a bad decision with Candelario and overpaid.  

Budget is always a consideration, but sometimes you need to buy something nice so you don't buy it twice.  They may not have shelled out a deal like LA did for Teoscar Hernandez, but they still spent decent money.  The return. they are getting for it is crap, so really it was flushing it down the toilet.  I get not wanting to get bogged down by long term deals, but I see no reason that they can't pay a guy like that for 3 years or so.  They need to put on the big boy pants in FA if they are ever going to take advantage of the low payroll they enjoy while the young kids are pre-arbitration.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 04:34 PM)samhain Wrote: My issue with him is his constant tinkering.  The culture of reckless base running is hurting them as well.  

The team we have here has a lot of potential, but much of the talent is still very much unproven.  

Sometimes I feel like Bell is a not-so-great manager that gets by due to other obvious flaws in the organization.  He's a problem, but he's rarely THE problem.  Problem A1 is the fact that the ownership is eternally cheap and hamstrung by what they are willing to spend on talent.  Major League talent.  

This past FA period was an overall flop.  They basically did well with bullpen guys (except for Pagan), but did little to help the need for better RH power.  They made a bad decision with Candelario and overpaid.  

Budget is always a consideration, but sometimes you need to buy something nice so you don't buy it twice.  They may not have shelled out a deal like LA did for Teoscar Hernandez, but they still spent decent money.  The return. they are getting for it is crap, so really it was flushing it down the toilet.  I get not wanting to get bogged down by long term deals, but I see no reason that they can't pay a guy like that for 3 years or so.  They need to put on the big boy pants in FA if they are ever going to take advantage of the low payroll they enjoy while the young kids are pre-arbitration.
Reply/Quote
The last time the Reds won a playoff series was 1995. Can we say enough is enough, I mean really.

Approaching the Bengals record of 32 years without a playoff win.

When do the fans say, I have had it.
Reply/Quote
The Reds, Are now officially 3rd, in terms of popularity in Cincinnati, behind the Bengals and FC Cincinnati.

FC Cincinnati almost won the MLS last year and the Bengals should have won the Super Bowl a couple years ago.

I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel for the Reds.
Reply/Quote
We have got 5 guys in the lineup batting below .200 and 2 more just above .200.

You mean we can’t any better players than that, really.

And I am tired of hearing it’s still early in the season. It’s not, you put yourself so far back, and it’s too many teams to jump over, to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Early 3-0 lead. Let's see if the pitching can hold it.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Uh oh they took Friedl out of the game after he scored. Hope that hbp didn't break anything.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 05:26 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Early 3-0 lead. Let's see if the pitching can hold it.

The answer is no.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Apparently Fraley’s dad is bashing Bell on Twitter now. Things getting ugly in Reds land.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 06:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The answer is no.

That homer was such a fluke. Not sure how it ever got out. From the swing it looked like a routine pop up.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 06:46 PM)cinci4life Wrote: That homer was such a fluke. Not sure how it ever got out. From the swing it looked like a routine pop up.

[Image: IbPGYG0.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 06:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Apparently Fraley’s dad is bashing Bell on Twitter now. Things getting ugly in Reds land.

What for? Bell hasn't been in the dugout almost all game.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 06:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: IbPGYG0.gif]

You can't honestly tell me you thought when the ball left the bat that it had any prayer of going out?
Reply/Quote
Now how did that shot from Benson not get out? Sounded amazing off the bat but somehow barely gets to the warning track? Just boggles the mind sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 06:47 PM)cinci4life Wrote: What for? Bell hasn't been in the dugout almost all game.

Whether you agree with him or not it’s a bad look for the team (and Bell) in general. This kind of stuff never ends well.

Reply/Quote
Ford launches one to dead center that does go out and ties the game!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 07:23 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Ford launches one to dead center that does go out and ties the game!

And then gets royally screwed over on a strike 3 call with a runner on 3rd.
Reply/Quote
Absolute clown show.

Reply/Quote
How many Reds does it take to catch a baseball?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote