Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reds Month Of April Games Thread.
Phew......Castillo did a good job of only allowing one run in the bottom of the 5th.
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
In retrospect it was silly to sit Winker in favor of Casili leading off, but I guess both Piug and Kemp were gonna play against the Dodgers in this one. Perhaps he'll still hit.. IDK.
Diet Rich in at 1st..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Woohoo...Nice 1, 2, 3 for RobSteve.. He's throwing well finally. I hope it continues from now on..

Mowin em down RobSteve is..6 in a row..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good Game. 2-2 into 8th inning. Kershaw and Castillo pitched well. Now up to the bullpens who wins.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:25 AM)kevin Wrote: Good Game.  2-2 into 8th inning.   Kershaw and Castillo pitched well.  Now up to the bullpens who wins.

Yup... I'd still like to see the guys in Red jerseys start knocking the cover off the ball though.. and there we go..leadoff double

Reply/Quote
Woot! 3-2.. Nice basehit Kemp.. Ex Dodgers haunting em.. There was a time I would have never supported an ex Dodger playing for the Reds.. 

Reply/Quote
Clutch hit from Kemp!
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
Iglesias now to get his 3rd Save on the season. Reds need this guy to put up Saves if they are to compete.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:55 AM)kevin Wrote: Iglesias now to get his 3rd Save on the season.   Reds need this guy to put up Saves if they are to compete.

He needs to throw strikes at least..  Whatever Good thing is he has a great pick off move when he wants to..

Reply/Quote
Well....crap.. Oh well.. Still a good game none the less.

Reply/Quote
Joc Pederson walk off homer. Iglesias put an 80 mph pitch over middle of plate right in his wheel house. Pederson did what Pederson does, he clobbered it. Walking the first batter in the 9th made it the winning homer, not the game tying homer. Iglesias hasn't been sharp in 2019. Reds need him to get sharp. If for some reason he just has a bad year, Reds need to look to others to get these saves.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:00 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well....crap.. Oh well.. Still a good game none the less.

It was, they probably should have lost a lot worse than they did.

(04-16-2019, 02:05 AM)kevin Wrote: Joc Pederson walk off homer.   Iglesias put an 80 mph pitch over middle of plate right in his wheel house.   Pederson did what Pederson does, he clobbered it.  Walking the first batter in the 9th made it the winning homer, not the game tying homer.  Iglesias hasn't been sharp in 2019.  Reds need him to get sharp.  If for some reason he just has a bad year, Reds need to look to others to get these saves.

Look out foot ! The bad news Reds are in town. Castillo not running out a hit, very suspect defense on a couple plays, Iglesias walking the first guy he faces, it should have been worse.

Walks are bad for any pitcher but your closer just can't give up walks ! We need him to get it together and fast.
Reply/Quote
Leadoff walks are almost always bad news for any team. A double play pitch would have been great, but sadly that ground ball flew just a little further than intended..

Oh well.. The season isn't over yet, but if the Reds batters don't start putting up better numbers and FAST even the best pitching isn't going to matter. You simply don't win games if you don't score runs. Hell, you can't even win a no hitter by your own pitcher if you score no runs. 

Reply/Quote
Apparently the Reds have been involved in a few no hitters in which they won the games anyway....
Quote:1 Solo Pitcher, Ken Johnson: only pitcher to lose a complete game no-hitter in nine innings when he was beaten 1-0 by Cincinnati. The winning run was scored by Pete Rose in the top of the ninth inning via an error, groundout, and another error. 

In 1967, Steve Barber and Stu Miller of the Baltimore Orioles pitched a combined no-hitter, but lost 2-1 to the Detroit Tigers. 

Three pitchers – Silver King (1890), Andy Hawkins (1990), and Matt Young (1992) – have lost eight-inning unofficial no-hitters where the home team won the game. 

No Hitters that were lost after regulation. (Not recorded as no hitters.) But some people remember, like wikipedia... 

On May 2, 1917, Fred Toney of the Cincinnati Reds and Hippo Vaughn of the Chicago Cubs pitched a hitless, scoreless tie after nine innings – the only time in baseball history that neither team has had a hit in regulation. The Reds got two hits in the top of the tenth inning and scored the winning run. In the bottom of the tenth, Toney retired the side and recorded a ten-inning no-hitter; whereas Vaughn threw a no-hitter for at least nine innings, but not for the complete game. 

(The closest any game has come since to having no hits in regulation was in 1965, when Sandy Koufax pitched a perfect game and opposing pitcher Bob Hendley of the Cubs gave up only one hit to the Dodgers, in the seventh inning.) 

A total of thirteen potential no-hitters have been lost in extra innings; two were perfect games. In 1959, Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitched twelve perfect innings before losing the no-hitter and the game to the Milwaukee Braves in the thirteenth inning. Pedro Martínez, then a member of the Montreal Expos, was the last pitcher to lose a no-hitter in the tenth against the San Diego Padres in 1995. Vaughn, Haddix, Martínez, and the other ten pitchers who lost no-hitters in extra innings are not credited with official no-hitters because they did not keep the opponent hitless for the entire course of the game.

I'm not suggesting the Reds have been no hit this season....yet, but they've been looking like a team on the verge more than once already. If the trend continues we may just find ourselves wondering if we'll break some more dubious records in no hit games..  Sad

Reply/Quote
I think it's pretty safe to say Louis Castillo won't be on any teams radar when it comes to hitting cleanup nor hitting in general.. Jeeez..He was more concerned about a broken bat than actually running to first on an obvious hit.. This is kind of indicative of Reds hitting for the season. Not too often players get a clean basehit to RF and then get thrown out before reaching first base..  WTF

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/luis-castillo-got-confused-and-was-thrown-out-at-first

Reply/Quote
Mahle on the mound and Votto leading off. Come on let's get a W.
Reply/Quote
apparently not happenin tonight either.. 4-0 and still no-hit after 2

Reply/Quote
Whaddaya know? Mahle broke up the no-no and goes around to score.. Votto with his 900th rbi.. 

Reply/Quote
Wrong guy at the plate with bases loaded and 2 out..The pitcher.. Oh well.. I didn't think he was going for glory and a GS.. 

Reply/Quote
Too late for me and I'm not feeling it anyway.. Hope to read about a big comeback, but if not then oh well.. Team blows.

Reply/Quote