Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reds Month Of April Games Thread.
Anyone want to take bets on the number of times the Reds get no hit games against them this season? I'm guessing more than one before the ASB.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Today's game is important. Reds really need to avoid being swept. Getting swept by 3 teams by middle of April would be awful. A real set back to Reds who got hot last week. So the Reds need some damage control and win at least one of these games at Dodgers. It doesn't matter how close they came Monday Night, it was a loss. Gray is on the mound for Reds today. Hopefully he eats innings and helps Reds avoid another sweep.

Today's game is on Fox Ohio at 3 in afternoon to go to about 6 PM. A good time for a game. Even people getting off work might see the last innings. I watched Monday past midnight, but not Tuesday. I'm not a big fan of the past midnight games of any sport. Today's game has more of an old Chicago Cubs before lights game time.

AVOID THE SWEEP. 1-2 is far better than 0-3 at LA this year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 11:44 AM)kevin Wrote: Today's game is important.  Reds really need to avoid being swept.  Getting swept by 3 teams by middle of April would be awful.  A real set back to Reds who got hot last week.  So the Reds need some damage control and win at least one of these games at Dodgers. It doesn't matter how close they came Monday Night, it was a loss.  Gray is on the mound for Reds today. Hopefully he eats innings and helps Reds avoid another sweep.

Today's game is on Fox Ohio at 3 in afternoon to go to about 6 PM.  A good time for a game. Even people getting off work might see the last innings. I watched Monday past midnight, but not Tuesday. I'm not a big fan of the past midnight games of any sport. Today's game has more of an old Chicago Cubs before lights game time.

AVOID THE SWEEP.  1-2 is far better than 0-3 at LA this year.

Nothing personal Kevin, but that's a lot to tell us that 3 is more than 2..  To get to .500 this year we're gonna need about 73 no hitters out of the pitching staff..and even that leaves us 5 games back at the current pace of hitting..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The baseball season may be more like a marathon than a sprint, but the good marathon runners don't get too far behind early in the race.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The baseball season may be more like a marathon than a sprint, but the good marathon runners don't get too far behind early in the race.

Yep

They can't keep digging themselves deeper in the hole. The bats have to come alive and fast !

The Reds are 28th out of 30 teams in team batting average - .205

There are 16 teams with 75 RBI's or more. The Reds are in 26th place with 55 RBI's.

The Reds have four regular players batting under .200, Votto has 3 RBI's, they're wasting a bunch of very good pitching !
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 09:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

They can't keep digging themselves deeper in the hole. The bats have to come alive and fast !

The Reds are 28th out of 30 teams in team batting average - .205

There are 16 teams with 75 RBI's or more. The Reds are in 26th place with 55 RBI's.

The Reds have four regular players batting under .200, Votto has 3 RBI's, they're wasting a bunch of very good pitching !

I think that was for 16 games. I think they’re hitting .200 as a team now, that’s if my math is right.
Reply/Quote
No joy in Mudville. 3rd time swept and only April 17th.

OK, better luck against the Padres. Clean up this West Coast trip to LA and San Diego a little this weekend. Nothing against the Pads, but they are almost never as good as the Dodgers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 12:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: Nothing personal Kevin, but that's a lot to tell us that 3 is more than 2..  To get to .500 this year we're gonna need about 73 no hitters out of the pitching staff..and even that leaves us 5 games back at the current pace of hitting..

Nothing personal, but I was pointing out before yesterdays game how important it is for Reds not to get swept for a 3rd time on just April 17th.  It WAS a big game and they lost it.  Some losses are worse than others, and that was a bad loss. None of this " They played a good game ", that Reds TV announcers keep dishing out.  3 Sweeps by April 17th is awful. 2 was bad, but making it 3 is just awful.

OK, this isn't rocket science either that Reds need to clean up road trip with some wins in San Diego, which means a whales vagina per News Anchor Ron Burgundy. Now if they get swept by Padres, ay chihuahua. Shades of Gene Rayburn's bedpan.

There are a lot of good players in MLB who's bats have not woke up yet on many teams.  Some of these Reds bats will wake up, such as Suarez. I just hope they aren't cemented in last place by that point. Get some wins against The Pads. 

So you stay classy San Diego. Just don't win too many games. The Reds need some wins or there will be no jazz flute in Cincinnati. Lets hear the Reds bats go Whammy, Whammy, Whammy.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They finally snapped the losing streak against the Paddy Cakes (Padres).. HR's by Votto and Barny and Winker.  A solid 5.1 by Roark and the pen was solid as well. Iggy struck out the sides in bottom 9th.. (Still just 5 hits for Reds bats the entire game..Thankfully 3 were the HR variety)
Let's hope Disco gets one of his patented win once every 6 tries tomorrow.. 

Reply/Quote
Always some interesting stats and rankings.. https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/1st-inning-runs-per-game  You can break things down by innings in several categories.. I just happened to have it on 1st inning runs per, but there's a lot of different stats if you feel like killing enough time.. 

Reply/Quote
I'm glad Reds won Game 1 in San Diego, but they need to come away with more wins than this. Get some more wins and clean up this road trip. Stay Classy San Diego.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It's going to be a tough road. 3 more against SD then home for 3 against Atlanta and back on the road against StL for four then the Mets for 4 more on the road.. Finally get a break on May 4th at home against SF.. By then I have full faith the Giants will be on a tear beating everyone before looking like the little sisters of the poor once they leave Cincinnati..  No? Well, unbenounced I have been known to be wrong on occasion..  ThumbsUp  
Still pretty amazing we have a +2 run differential. Brewers are -4, but in 2nd place. SD is -15 in 2nd.. 
Boston of course has gone from WS straight to dead last place with a -42 run differential..Sox fans have to be somewhat disappointed.. 
The Reds are the only last place team with a + run differential, one of the most meaningless stat this point in the season..

Reply/Quote
Derek and the Dietrich's and now Reds have clinched a tie of Padres Series. Now go out and Win The Series. In other words, get out the mop and mop up that big mess in LA sweep. Mop up the mess with winning Padres Series and cleaning up this road trip. Big games Saturday and Sunday to do just that.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Duke tried to lose it, but he blew it and we actually won this sucker.. Still only 4 hits in the game for both (each) teams.. 

Reply/Quote
Duke needs to go. Like Yesterday.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2019, 01:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's going to be a tough road. 3 more against SD then home for 3 against Atlanta and back on the road against StL for four then the Mets for 4 more on the road.. Finally get a break on May 4th at home against SF.. By then I have full faith the Giants will be on a tear beating everyone before looking like the little sisters of the poor once they leave Cincinnati..  No? Well, unbenounced I have been known to be wrong on occasion..  ThumbsUp  
Still pretty amazing we have a +2 run differential. Brewers are -4, but in 2nd place. SD is -15 in 2nd.. 
Boston of course has gone from WS straight to dead last place with a -42 run differential..Sox fans have to be somewhat disappointed.. 
The Reds are the only last place team with a + run differential, one of the most meaningless stat this point in the season..

(04-20-2019, 02:21 AM)kevin Wrote: Derek and the Dietrich's and now Reds have clinched a tie of Padres Series.  Now go out and Win The Series.  In other words, get out the mop and mop up that big mess in LA sweep.  Mop up the mess with winning Padres Series and cleaning up this road trip.  Big games Saturday and Sunday to do just that.

Something like 15 of their next 21 games are on the road ! It's crucial that they play over .500 on the road for this stretch......already. And go like 5-1 at home.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 04:17 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Duke needs to go.  Like Yesterday.

But he won't unless he completely falls apart more than he has already. #25 likes his "memory skills" according to the mother ship.. He can forget bad outings which i suppose is a good thing, but when they start to really pile up it makes the natives restless.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 04:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: But he won't unless he completely falls apart more than he has already. #25 likes his "memory skills" according to the mother ship.. He can forget bad outings which i suppose is a good thing, but when they start to really pile up it makes the natives restless.

Duke doesn't have it this year.  They should send him packing when Gennett comes back in May.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Yes ! Reds have taken three in a row from Padres and we needed it bad.
Reply/Quote
OK, the Reds did it then. They got out the mops, cleaned up the mess in LA by winning 3 in a row in San Diego. A sweep Sunday would be icing on the cake and make it a winning road trip. If that happens, fine. No matter what happens Sunday, the Reds bounced back in San Diego. Good job, GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote