Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month Of July Game Thread
And Lorenzen blows another one.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, it was fun for one game...

Very disappointing series. Bullpen and missing bats.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Horrible

Reply/Quote
Don't know about that strike 2 call to Votto. That changed that ab big time.
Reply/Quote
In 9th Galvis doubled and Aquino doubled making it 3-2 ball game. Votto double play ends game. I do not think Reds bats are so great that they can not find a spot for power hitter Aquino with a DH this year. Anybody that thinks the Reds bats were good last year and so far this year, I have 2 words for Reds hitting, Over Rated. Aquino did everything he could in his 2nd at bat this season to tie the game up in the 9th, and he needs more at bats. Reds are NOT so good they can forget about Aquino.

Reds need to win with Miley on the mound to get back to .500 at 2-2.....60 games is not a time for falling way under .500 as Reds have in recent seasons. .500 can not be as elusive and unable to reach. Get them next game and get to 2-2, not 1-3.

Get Aquino in there. What he did last year was more than I've seen of Senzel, Van Meter, Winker, Ervin combined in their careers. Those guys are the hype of what they may do. Aquino has actually shown he can crank homers and gappers and the Reds are in dire need of another POWER bat in order. It's like benching a young George Foster except this isn't no 1970's Reds batting order loaded in talent. Plus the DH this year. Even if it turns out Aquino has a low Dave Kingman like batting average, we need his power in the line-up. Aquino could hit the ball out of Yellowstone Park. You lead off with the table setters. Then the Power. I see Aquino batting 5th or 6th in the Power Middle of Line-Up for now. Plus they play in Great American SMALL Park. Not that the dimensions are shorter, but because the ball carries and one of the best home run parks in MLB. So you don't play a small ball line-up, you want Suarez and Aquino in there for some Long Ball.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 05:02 PM)cinci4life Wrote: And Lorenzen blows another one.

Lorenzen, Iglesias, and Stephenson have given up 7 runs, 7 hits, 4 HR's and have ERA's over 16 in 3 innings pitched.

The other 5 guys including Garrett have goose eggs across the board in 5 innings pitched. 

We're not gonna have time to let these guys "get it together". Put other pitchers out there at the end Bell, and in a hurry !
Reply/Quote
It appears it’s time for my yearly assessment of Lorenzen.

He sucks and should be traded. He should NEVER pitch later than the 5th or 6th inning because he doesn’t leave enough outs for the Reds hitters to make up for his mostly self-imposed screw ups. He’s not a pitcher, he’s just a guy that can throw hard. Years ago, Nick Masset also threw hard and he also sucked for mostly the exact same reasons as Lorenzen.

ABSOLUTELY NO CONSISTENCY. It all comes down to he doesn’t bend his back when he throws. He does for a short bit but he bounces back so fast after he throws that he’s almost straight up after the delivery. This leads to inaccuracy and it usually results in a guy aiming for a spot. Coaches always said “Throw to a spot. Don’t aim, just throw to a spot. Repetition will leave you with muscle memory where your release point should be.”

Lorenzen looks like he aims and thus leading to him leaving pitches in the middle of the plate or crap like walking the #8 or #9 hitter.

Now if we could only convince Dumb Bell to quit putting him in late in games but that’s another topic for another thread.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 01:39 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Lorenzen, Iglesias, and Stephenson have given up 7 runs, 7 hits, 4 HR's and have ERA's over 16 in 3 innings pitched.

The other 5 guys including Garrett have goose eggs across the board in 5 innings pitched. 

We're not gonna have time to let these guys "get it together". Put other pitchers out there at the end Bell, and in a hurry !

Those 3 players have struggled.  Reds cannot keep running these guys out there when the SP does such a good job.  Tigers are a terrible team.  But with that said, it is like spring training so maybe the team will click.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The starting pitching looks playoff caliber Absolutely dominating.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 06:05 PM)kevin Wrote: Get Aquino in there.  What he did last year was more than I've seen of Senzel, Van Meter, Winker, Ervin combined in their careers.  Those guys are the hype of what they may do.  Aquino has actually shown he can crank homers and gappers and the Reds are in dire need of another POWER bat in order.

Aquino also hit just .194 for the month of September with only 4 hrs and 12 RBI in 24 games.

Before last season he had never played above the AA level and he only hit .227 there with a .421 slugging percentage.

I need to see more before I am convinced last August was not just a fluke.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 03:28 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: It appears it’s time for my yearly assessment of Lorenzen.

He sucks and should be traded.

He had a 2.92 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP last year.  Opposing batters hit only .221 with a .644 OPS.  He only had 4 blown saves for the entire year.

Those are pretty damn good numbers.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 03:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He had a 2.92 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP last year.  Opposing batters hit only .221 with a .644 OPS.  He only had 4 blown saves for the entire year.

Those are pretty damn good numbers.

Yes but he's still wildly inconsistent. He'll strike out the heart of the order on 12 pitches in the 7th then walk 2 and give up 3 runs to the bottom of the order in the 8th.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Aquino also hit just .194 for the month of September with only 4 hrs and 12 RBI in 24 games.

Before last season he had never played above the AA level and he only hit .227 there with a .421 slugging percentage.

I need to see more before I am convinced last August was not just a fluke.

Aquino is pretty much Derek Dietrich if you take out August and the first week of September. It took them a month to find his weakness(low sliders out of the zone) but they did.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 05:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes but he's still wildly inconsistent. He'll strike out the heart of the order on 12 pitches in the 7th then walk 2 and give up 3 runs to the bottom of the order in the 8th.

Yep.

He walked a pitcher on 4 pitches last year.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 05:39 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Aquino is pretty much Derek Dietrich if you take out August and the first week of September. It took them a month to find his weakness(low sliders out of the zone) but they did.

I'll admit the Aquino bug bit me. But yes, if he can't learn to lay off that pitch he's just gonna be a trivia question. 
Reply/Quote
Good interview with Lou during this weather delay. That 90 team really was something (obviously).

I just wish the footage from our last championship didn’t look a million years old...

Reply/Quote
Looks like we should have hoped for a rain out. Miley's given up 4 runs in the first so far.
Reply/Quote
This team is sunk already.

Reply/Quote
Miley gives up 6 and doesn't get out of the 2nd. Horrible.
Reply/Quote
Well finally a bright spot. Tyler Stephenson hits a homer in his first MLB at bat. Congrats Tyler!
Reply/Quote