Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month Of July Game Thread
(07-28-2020, 07:41 PM)OrangeTerrain Wrote: I like hockey, and respect that they are good. 

But honestly, who cares about  affiliate minor league hockey.

In a metro area of 2Mill+, who actually cares about the cyclones?  Maybe 1% of the city , at most 

Well, I’m biased as it’s my favorite sport, but you’re correct. Sadly, hockey is not very popular in most parts of the US. Although, people did come out in droves during their cup runs. I remember the first one in 08, the arena was absolutely packed to the gills (13k+). That’s a huge crowd for minor league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Chris Welsh after Baez hit the two run home run off of Lorenzen
"Well he couldn't throw his fastball for a strike so he it looks like he tried to throw a little slider in there. He just hung it there on the inner third and Baez is not going to pass that one up."

He sucks and needs to be traded.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Lorenzen, Stephenson,. Need a new scenery.

It seems like a couple times a year that I rip on the manager. I was not a big dusty Baker fan for several reasons as he always played vets over promising rookies. But I must say Bell is making some errors and judgment I don't know about him at all.

Going 1-4 doesn't seem like a big deal but it is a big deal it's huge furthermore the Cubs and the tigers suck
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 10:37 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Chris Welsh after Baez hit the two run home run off of Lorenzen
"Well he couldn't throw his fastball for a strike so he it looks like he tried to throw a little slider in there. He just hung it there on the inner third and Baez is not going to pass that one up."

He sucks and needs to be traded.

(07-29-2020, 12:39 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Lorenzen, Stephenson,. Need a new scenery.  

It seems like a couple times a year that I rip on the manager.  I was not a big dusty Baker fan for several reasons as he always played vets over promising rookies.  But I must say Bell is making some errors and judgment I don't know about him at all.  

Going 1-4 doesn't seem like a big deal but it is a big deal it's huge furthermore the Cubs and the tigers suck

The plug needs to be pulled on the Lorenzen experiment - now !
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 11:59 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Jeffress comes in and strikes out a player that should have been bunting in a squeeze play.

Squeeze plays are not automatic.  In fact they are pretty rare with the top of the order batting.

I am not blaming the manager for being aggressive and going for the win in that situation.  
Reply/Quote
This is my Reds start 1-4 post.

OK, Reds have Gray, Castillo and Bauer on the mound to get back to .500 very fast.

OK, the rest of the team. Lets start hitters. I will use ESPN Fantasy Numbers.

Catcher- Casali- 10 pts
1st Base- Votto- 25 pts
2nd Base- Van Meter- 1 Pt
Shortstop - Galvis- 19 pts
3rd Base - Suarez-1 Pt
Right- Castellanos-13 Pts.
Center - Akiyama - 5 Pts
Left - Jankowski - 4 Pts
DH - Stephenson - 10 Pts. ( Fantasy Owners get ready. He put up 10 Points fast for a catcher )

Ervin 3 pts....Aqunio 2 Pts....Winker 2 pts....Moustakes injured or would be at 2nd.

OK, now the Bullpen

Garrett should be the Closer today with 10 points
Raley 9 pts
Sims 8 Pts
Strop 5 Pts
Jones 5 Pts
Iglesias minus 7
Reed minus 8
Lorenzen minus 9

It's way too early to shut Iglesias or Lorenzen down after 1 or 2 innings. Every reliever has a bad inning, Plus this is still like Spring Training in that they may just be rusty needing to get their work in. However Reds are 1-4 and they should be used early in games and on a short leash for now. Reds have others doing OK, and Garrett needs to be the Closer today if Gray puts Reds in a Save or close Win position.

So lets get a win with Gray on the mound and Garrett the closer. Then Castillo & Bauer to get to 4-4 on season. These starters are making it possible. ...GO REDS

To those who would say Garrett is the Lefty set up man, I say throw that out the window. Best is Best and he is the guy to use in a Save or Win in 9th inning. At 1-4, Reds need WINS with Gray, Castillo & Bauer lined up to go.

Reds do have one of the best Pitching Coaches in the game in the guy we got from Brewers after 2018. He has been great at fixing bullpens and starters on other teams. So that's a Plus. However at 1-4 in a 60 game season, Reds need some WINS NOW behind 3 good starters.

There is HOPE that Gray, Castillo, Bauer get Reds to 4-4.....Casali AND Stephenson need to BOTH play with the DH because they are some of few Reds hitters doing anything.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Squeeze plays are not automatic.  In fact they are pretty rare with the top of the order batting.

I am not blaming the manager for being aggressive and going for the win in that situation.  

I find your definition of aggressive managing strange. I think that the years of Brian Price and Marvin Lewis at the same time in Cincinnati has scarred many Reds/Bengals fans. 

Ervin was 0-4 going into the at bat against a veteran right handed pitcher coming in fresh. It's the bottom of the ninth, down by one with a manager that makes changes left and right. In fact, it often appears that he makes changes for no ***** reason whatsoever and he can't put in the best bunter on the bench in the biggest at bat in the game? It's not like it was one of the bigger threats in the lineup. It's Ervin. He was probably voted most replaceable in High School.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Fellas

We need to talk about Nick Senzel. He just got cleared to return (Who cares, mediocre and the most fragile person in the united states)

But, hilarity aside, the guy just missed 3 games (2 games into a season) cause he had a little cold. What the hell is wrong with this guy?

He can not be serious with this shit.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 12:46 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I find your definition of aggressive managing strange. I think that the years of Brian Price and Marvin Lewis at the same time in Cincinnati has scarred many Reds/Bengals fans. 

Ervin was 0-4 going into the at bat against a veteran right handed pitcher coming in fresh. It's the bottom of the ninth, down by one with a manager that makes changes left and right. In fact, it often appears that he makes changes for no ***** reason whatsoever and he can't put in the best bunter on the bench in the biggest at bat in the game? It's not like it was one of the bigger threats in the lineup. It's Ervin. He was probably voted most replaceable in High School.

All I am saying is that it is very rare for a manager to call for a sacrifice squeeze.  You act like it is an automatic choice that every manager would make in that situation.

If VanMeter or Votto get a hit to drive in the go-ahead run you aren't saying anything about it being a bad decision..
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 03:16 PM)OrangeTerrain Wrote: Fellas

We need to talk about Nick Senzel.  He just got cleared to return (Who cares, mediocre and the most fragile person in the united states)

But, hilarity aside, the guy just missed 3 games (2 games into a season) cause he had a little cold.  What the hell is wrong with this guy?

He can not be serious with this shit.

I don't think you understand the rules.  Senzel wants to play and has even filed an appeal with the panel of league and union representatives called the Joint Committee.  He can not play until he is cleared.

All players who have any symptoms are required to report them.  It he didn't and ended up being positive for Covid he would have been in trouble.
Reply/Quote
Moose, Senzel, and Barnhart are all back in the starting lineup tonight!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you understand the rules.  Senzel wants to play and has even filed an appeal with the panel of league and union representatives called the Joint Committee.  He can not play until he is cleared.

All players who have any symptoms are required to report them.  It he didn't and ended up being positive for Covid he would have been in trouble.

He had a cold - no fever, and did not test positive for Covid

He is a fragile little flower and will be back on the DL before 8/15.

What 25 year old man gets a cold in late July, and misses work because of it? Lolol
Reply/Quote
7/29

Cubs
SP Kyle Hendricks ®
1. Kris Bryant ® 3B
2. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
3. Javier Baez ® SS
4. Kyle Schwarber (L) LF
5. Willson Contreras ® C
6. Jason Heyward (L) RF
7. Ian Happ (S) CF
8. Victor Caratini (S) DH
9. Nico Hoerner ® 2

Reds
SP Sonny Gray ®
1. Shogo Akiyama (L) LF
2. Joey Votto (L) 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez ® 3B
4. Mike Moustakas (L) 2B
5. Nick Castellanos ® RF
6. Jesse Winker (L) DH
7. Nick Senzel ® CF
8. Freddy Galvis (S) SS
9. Tucker Barnhart (L) C

6 games in, it's a must win. A 4 game losing streak is the same as a 10 game losing streak in a 162 game season.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 06:46 PM)OrangeTerrain Wrote: 7/29

Cubs
SP Kyle Hendricks ®
1. Kris Bryant ® 3B
2. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
3. Javier Baez ® SS
4. Kyle Schwarber (L) LF
5. Willson Contreras ® C
6. Jason Heyward (L) RF
7. Ian Happ (S) CF
8. Victor Caratini (S) DH
9. Nico Hoerner ® 2

Reds
SP Sonny Gray ®
1. Shogo Akiyama (L) LF
2. Joey Votto (L) 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez ® 3B
4. Mike Moustakas (L) 2B
5. Nick Castellanos ® RF
6. Jesse Winker (L) DH
7. Nick Senzel ® CF
8. Freddy Galvis (S) SS
9. Tucker Barnhart (L) C

6 games in, it's a must win.  A 4 game losing streak is the same as a 10 game losing streak in a 162 game season.

Moustakas back is needed.  Casili and Stephenson should be in at Catcher & DH if this is a Must Win as I posted this morning.  This line-up has too many sleeping bats outs.  Galvis is batting way too low in this sorry line-up.  Suarez, Winker, Senzel, Barnhart are outs until they prove otherwise. We need a 3rd and an OF, but C and DH should be Casilli and Stephenson. If they demoted Stephenson's hot bat to put somebody on roster, that really makes no sense.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 07:18 PM)kevin Wrote: Moustakas back is needed.  Casili and Stephenson should be in at Catcher & DH if this is a Must Win as I posted this morning.  This line-up has too many sleeping bats outs.  Galvis is batting way too low in this sorry line-up.  Suarez, Winker, Senzel, Barnhart are outs until they prove otherwise.  We need a 3rd and an OF, but C and DH should be Casilli and Stephenson.  If they demoted Stephenson's hot bat to put somebody on roster, that really makes no sense.

They dropped Stephenson so they could add Moose back. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 07:38 PM)cinci4life Wrote: They dropped Stephenson so they could add Moose back. 

I would have demoted somebody else.  Stephenson does good and sent down when many Reds stink. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
2nd inning, 0 to 0, 1 out. Runner at 1st...until Castellanos thrown out stealing 2nd...Reds run themselves out of another inning That is just bad baseball. That is second time this week that I've seen him thrown out easy. He's not fast. I can see why that Oakland GM in Money Ball movie went nuts over base runners killing innings thrown out stealing. I can see Joe Morgan types stealing, but some of these guys need to give hitters a chance to move them over.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Welcome back Moose!!! Just hit a 2 run homer!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 08:43 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Welcome back Moose!!! Just hit a 2 run homer!
YES....and now Suarez breaks out of slump bases loaded with a 2 RBI single.  Now if Bullpen can cover end of game when Gray leaves, 4-0 now. 

Bases loaded again same inning, GRAND SLAM Castellanos. 8-0

Senzel Homer same inning. 9-0....A big inning. Reds haven't had those except opening day. 7 run inning.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Grand Slam Castellanos!!!!
Reply/Quote