Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of August Games Thread
(08-18-2019, 03:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Does this mean the Reds do not sign Iggy (SS) to an extension? 

I just don'y know what to think about it ? Maybe I'm way wrong ? But I would think they were more looking toward next season and being able to control Galvis than they were him pushing us up in the standings this season.

Perhaps they're thinking Iggy is going to be asking for to much ? Hitting .290 48 RBI's or something ?

Then there's Peraza who backslid quite a bit this season and he's eligible for arbitration. I highly doubt he's gonna get a huge raise so how does that figure in ?

I kinda doubt they'll keep all three, I could be wrong. I hope Iggy is in their future plans. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
ENOUGH ABOUT NEXT YEAR, and who gets signed.

Reds have a game TODAY. They can win a series against Cardinals. That would keep them near 1st Place.

Keep a close eye on who plays first base today with Votto injured. I would love it if somebody steps up with the glove and the bat and shows all these Reds fans that we can put one of these good hitters on the bench there and WIN today.

The Reds have missed Suarez with minor injuries more than Votto. Suarez may be back today for Reds. He could hit 40 Homers and the Reds need things like that to play catch up.

I don't know how many of you remember Baltimore Orioles Manager Earl Weaver. He believed the stretch run starts August 15th to end of season. That the teams that make World Series runs get hot the last 6 weeks going into the play-offs. He was a great manager and therefore it is time for the Reds to get HOT or not.

So a team really fighting back into play-off picture would WIN TODAY and win the key division series.

GO REDS......GO REDS......GO REDS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Damn, Wood does not have his stuff.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Gosh I hate the Cardinals.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Another one run loss. This team sucks in day games. They rarely look sharp during the day. Great job by the pen, though.

I'd start Mahle over Wood. They had a chance to go up to only 5.5 back today.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Close but no cigar....Reds do get the series tie, but they are losing time. Ties to Reds now are no help as they play catch up. Reds had many chances of runners on base in the game, they just left too many ducks on the pond.

I will say that I watched the Reds on August 18th. Last few years they were so awful I stopped watching them by April 18th. So they have been better than last 4 or 5 years.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 07:47 PM)kevin Wrote: Close but no cigar....Reds do get the series tie, but they are losing time.  Ties to Reds now are no help as they play catch up.  Reds had many chances of runners on base in the game, they just left too many ducks on the pond.  

I will say that I watched the Reds on August 18th.  Last few years they were so awful I stopped watching them by April 18th.  So they have been better than last 4 or 5 years.

Indeed it is  :andy: I think finally they've made some strides.

I'd just like to see them finish .500, I think that would be quite an accomplishment after 4 straight seasons with 67ish wins. They need to go 23-16 over remaining 39 games to get there. 

If Castillo and Wood can can get it together and have a couple good outings I think it's doable.
Reply/Quote
Cardinals can go to hell. They are walking THE PUNISHER now? Drunk
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 07:47 PM)kevin Wrote: I will say that I watched the Reds on August 18th.

Same here.  They have stayed close enough to keep it interesting until late in the season.  That is a huge improvement.

But what really makes me feel good is LAST YEAR'S off season.  The Reds made a lot of big moves and brought in a lot of talent.  It had been a long time since we had an off season like that.  And it GIVES ME HOPE for 2020..
Reply/Quote
Wow I think the Reds just got screwed out of the tying run. That sure looked like textbook obstruction on the catcher.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Should have had Senzel squeeze bunt Barnhart in to tie the game.

Now they need a hit from Iglesias.

I really dislike watching Dumb Bell run this team.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Chalk up another one run loss to a manager that is in way above his head.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 11:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Chalk up another one run loss to a manager that is in way above his head.

The game was there for the taking.  Suarez had three chances to win the game three times yesterday and a chance to win the game tonight and struck out four times.  He won't swing at an inside pitch and he can't not halfass swing at sliders in the dirt. 

Agree that the manager sucks.  Would fire the third base coach tonight.  But guys either step up or they don't.

I'm wondering if this really is a team built to contend over a whole season.  Too inconsistent at the plate, pitchers walk too many guys and throw too many pitches in general and seem to give up a shitload of home runs.  The hope has to be that the young hitters take the next step but the pitching formula has let them down this year.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
OK, Just the Facts as Joe Friday use to say.

The Reds in last 7 weeks only lost 1 series. However if they start this 8th week with a series loss to the lowly Padres, forget about it. Ut becomes like the NFL beer commercial of the coach that once after a loss jumped a reporter with, " Play-offs, You're taking Play-offs ??? This team isn't going to any Play-Offs "....Reds lose series to Padres in Cincinnati, and are way under .500 going into September, THE FAT LADY WILL BE SINGING.

Of course they haven't lost to Padres yet. Reds could come back in this series.

I can't be real excited about the All-Star Pitching staff that I thought they put together. Castillo, Bauer, Gray, Disco and Wood have not looked like the greatest staff ever so far, and far from it. The bullpen of Garrett, Lorenzen, Iglesias has NOT been the New Nasty Boys. Then there is the highest paid Reds, he of no bat and age declining skills. The small market Reds can not afford to have their highest paid players have back to back awful seasons. Votto will be 37 next year, and it appears Father Time is saying his best years are over. The highest paid player on a Small Market team can't be washed up and over the hill as Griffey Jr and now Votto.

So if the Reds win the Pads series, there is still some small hope. If they lose, there is only Marty Month. Many Reds fans will settle for Marty Month. I will turn all my sports focus on NFL, and in real life I have much to do once the heat breaks and we get into September. Much to do in the few good weather months Ohio gets between HOT summer and COLD winter.

If they lose this series to the Padres, stick a fork in Reds 2019, they are done. Have the Fat Lady stand on the Japanese Truck they never give away, and have The Fat Lady stand on that joke of a contest every year and sing the Curtain Call. The Japanese Truck that they mention every game, and in 20 some years have never gave one away, stupid contest. Get some use out of it and have the Fat Lady stand on it and sing, " and now it's time to say. sayonara "...If Reds lose Pads series.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
1-run losses are killing the Reds. Marty said that the Reds lead the league in times thrown at at the plate at 16 or 17. Those could add up to a lot of losses.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 04:52 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: 1-run losses are killing the Reds.  Marty said that the Reds lead the league in times thrown at at the plate at 16 or 17.  Those could add up to a lot of losses.

House is the worst 3rd base coach I've ever seen.  He has repeatedly gotten guys thrown out by three feet at the plate in what turned out to be one run losses.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 11:45 AM)McC Wrote: House is the worst 3rd base coach I've ever seen.  He has repeatedly gotten guys thrown out by three feet at the plate in what turned out to be one run losses.

Jesse Winker probably accounts for at least 5 of those thrown out at homes too XD.
Reply/Quote
Galvis is a beast. Gray is an ace. AA is The Punisher!
Gray's scorless steak ends but another 10k outing, ERA under 3.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
That error to Iglesias was based on the fact that VanMeter doesn't know how to stretch for a ball. Very poor footwork but that's what happens when you play a position you know very little about.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
If they beat Padres today with Castillo on the mound and win series, they are still hanging in there. If they lose today, the Fat Lady might as well stand on that Japanese truck they never give away in outfield, and sing her lungs out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote