Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspensions handed out, appeals followed
From MLB.com

Eight individuals have received suspensions for their roles in the bench-clearing incident and other events between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Cincinnati Reds during Tuesday night’s game at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. Joe Torre, Chief Baseball Officer for Major League Baseball, made the announcement.

Pirates pitcher Keone Kela has received a 10-game suspension for intentionally throwing a pitch in the area of the head of Derek Dietrich of the Reds in the bottom of the seventh inning and for his role in instigating the bench-clearing incident.
Reds pitcher Amir Garrett has received an eight-game suspension for inciting the bench-clearing incident by running to the area outside the Pirates’ dugout and throwing a punch in the top of the ninth inning.
Pirates infielder José Osuna has received a five-game suspension for his aggressive and inappropriate actions during the ninth inning incident.
Reds pitcher Jared Hughes has received a three-game suspension for intentionally throwing a pitch at Starling Marte of the Pirates in the top of the ninth inning.
Pirates pitcher Kyle Crick has received a three-game suspension for his inappropriate actions during the ninth inning incident.
Cleveland Indians outfielder Yasiel Puig, who was then a member of the Reds, has received a three-game suspension for his aggressive actions during the ninth inning incident.
Reds manager David Bell has received a six-game suspension for returning to the field following his ejection; escalating the incident with his aggressive actions; his Club’s intentional pitch at Marte; and his numerous ejections this season.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle has received a two-game suspension for his Club’s conduct during the incident and his Club’s multiple intentional pitches thrown at Dietrich this season.
All of the individuals above received undisclosed fines for their roles in the incident. Fines have also been issued to Pirates pitcher Trevor Williams, Reds first baseman Joey Votto and Reds outfielder Phillip Ervin. Additionally, a number of players from both Clubs have received fines for participating in the bench-clearing incident while on the Injured List.

Torre said: “The incidents between these two Clubs remain a source of concern, and it’s reflected by the level of discipline we are handing down today. Everyone on the field should be aware of the example they are setting for fans, particularly young people. I firmly expect these two managers and all others to hold their players accountable for appropriate conduct and to guide them in the right direction.”

The suspensions of the six players had been scheduled to begin for their respective Clubs’ next games: the Reds tonight at Atlanta, the Indians for tonight’s home game vs. Houston and the Pirates for Friday’s home game vs. the New York Mets. However, all six players have elected to appeal. Thus, the discipline issued to them will be held in abeyance until the process is complete.

The suspension of Bell will commence tonight and the suspension of Hurdle will begin on Friday.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
You beat me to the post. This really sucks for the bullpen and playoff hopes.
Reply/Quote
Nice to see Kela get the lengthiest suspension although don't think it was long enough. Garrett got a raw deal since they are saying he incited the fight when really it was the Pirate players that were jawing at him that did it. 5 games maybe but 8 is too high. The rest seem about right to me.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 8c308da13d5cde50939814d2977e281e.gif?fbc...yk5NRqASgM]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 05:35 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You beat me to the post. This really sucks for the bullpen and playoff hopes.

Either Garrett or Hughes will drop his appeal so they won't be suspended at the same time.

Not really that big of a deal.
Reply/Quote
A lot of baseball's "unwritten rules" are total bullshit.

A pitcher should be suspended at least 30 days for intentionally throwing at a players head. There is no place in the game for that. There is a HUGE difference between "throwing inside" and throwing at a guys head.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of baseball's "unwritten rules" are total bullshit.

A pitcher should be suspended at least 30 days for intentionally throwing at a players head.  There is no place in the game for that.  There is a HUGE difference between "throwing inside" and throwing at a guys head.

I couldn't find it in a Google search but I believe the Pirates have acted like this against other teams this year too.  Mike Wilbon called the Pirates thugs and blamed Hurdle for their behavior and Torre for doing nothing about it all year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Either Garrett or Hughes will drop his appeal so they won't be suspended at the same time.

Not really that big of a deal.

True but the bullpen has been so iffy that it’s still a big deal.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of baseball's "unwritten rules" are total bullshit.

A pitcher should be suspended at least 30 days for intentionally throwing at a players head. There is no place in the game for that. There is a HUGE difference between "throwing inside" and throwing at a guys head.

If you intentionally hit a guy in the head, isn’t that assault with a deadly weapon? Attempted murder? IDK but it’s pretty sick if you think what could result.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 06:44 PM)McC Wrote: I couldn't find it in a Google search but I believe the Pirates have acted like this against other teams this year too.  Mike Wilbon called the Pirates thugs and blamed Hurdle for their behavior and Torre for doing nothing about it all year.

I know it happened against the Cubs. A pitch was way inside to Baez and got the knob of the bat. Maddon got tossed cause the home plate ump thought he was yelling at him but it was directed at Hurdle at which point Maddon made a b-line at Hurdle.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well at least they DO charge 10 year old kids for throwing at each other.. Imagine if the kid had a 100 mph fastball! He'd be a hero by now and win the Cy Young. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dodgeball-assault-10-year-old-charged-with-assault-after-dodgeball-game-michigan-school-2019-07-31/   Sad  Major league pitcher? It's all fun n games.. 
By the way..anyone notice the cop during the whole frackas? He looked busy watching out for some terrorist threatening to steal jock straps..  If it had been you or me we'd have been dragged off to the Hamilton County jail before we could spell Jack Spratt could eat no fat.. Go figure, huh? God forbid someone bring a bottle of soda pop into the stadium!  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote