Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of July Game Thread
Halfway through season. Reds 5 games under .500 far better than Reds have played last 4 years. Hey. Pitching & Defense Wins Games, the 1969 Mets proved that. Reds are better because the starting pitching is better. Therefore I think the Star Of The Team so far is the Pitching Coach we got from 1st Place Brewers in off season. He has a history of making chicken salad out of chicken shot. Taking average or below average pitchers and getting more out of them. It is what he has done for years and now doing it for Reds.

Go Reds In July.

I'll be honest. I'm not concerned with Play-offs or playing on Halloween. I think the Money Ball Movie guy over rates that and under rates the good Summer wins. Not that I wouldn't love to see Reds in play-offs. Still, the Reds Fans of Kids of all ages have had Reds in Last on July 1st and way under .500 for years. Often the team was awful in April and just stayed awful all season. The team was too bad to watch on TV and I don't know how people went to such awful games. So Reds only 5 under .500 at halfway point is huge. I'm watching Reds more and I'm sure others are. Reds could get to .500 soon, and that is worth watching. To me, THAT is Money Ball. Giving Fans a reason to watch the team into June and 4th of July and All-Star Game and the Summer months, and the heck with who wins on Halloween Night when most people are watching NFL anyway. Reds are Doing That. They are giving Fans reason to watch Reds 4th of July as Harold Hill gave River City a reason to enjoy their Summer in The Music Man. I think on Babe Ruth Day he said baseball should never forget the Kids. So never discount the Kids, of all ages, having a reason to watch the Reds still at 4th of July, and I could care less about baseball in Halloween or November as baseball post season goes way too long now anyway.

Again, GO REDS IN JULY....Notice how the days honoring Reds of years ago were OK, a class move, but not as good as winning. You know why fans are enjoying the 150 years of Reds uniforms, because the team is actually better and fun to watch. There is no promotion that surpasses having a good team to watch. So glad the 2019 Reds are not just all gimmick promotions, but a lousy team as last 4 years.

Something not mentioned in 150 Anniversary though is the 100 Anniversary of 1919 Reds winning National League and World Series. No Red was ever included in that scandal. The Reds had a great team beating such teams as John McGraws tough New York Giants. That was a great Reds team and it could very well be like 1990 when the American League under estimated the winner of the National League. Just as 1990 A's were suppose to sweep the Reds. Look up the NL Stats and the Reds stats of 1919. The Reds had a GREAT TEAM. They had to be good to beat a very good National League. The 1919 Reds of Roush and Eller deserve much more respect. It could be the Giants were better than White Sox anyway in that Reds season, and Reds won a tough National League. The stats show Hod Eller was one of best pitchers in baseball in 1919, just like 1990 Jose Rijo, HARD TO BEAT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Zach Duke DFA'd and Jimmy Herget called up.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/reds-designate-zach-duke.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Horrible, horrible, horrible managing by Bell tonight. Wow!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 10:33 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Horrible, horrible, horrible managing by Bell tonight. Wow!

Pitchers walked six and gave up three home runs.  Can't blame the manager for that.

We had the #1 bullpen in the National league, but they have been blown up over the last week.

Lorenzen's last 3 games.......3 IP....7 hits....4 runs
Hernandez's last 3 games.....2 IP....6 hits....6 runs
Iglesias's last 2 games..........3 IP....5 hits....7 runs
Stephenson's last 3 games....3 IP....6 hits....3 runs
Duke's last 2 games...........1.2 IP....2 hits....2 runs

12.2 IP....26 hits....22 runs....15.63 ERA

That is just insane.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 12:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pitchers walked six and gave up three home runs.  Can't blame the manager for that.

We had the #1 bullpen in the National league, but they have been blown up over the last week.

Lorenzen's last 3 games.......3 IP....7 hits....4 runs
Hernandez's last 3 games.....2 IP....6 hits....6 runs
Iglesias's last 2 games..........3 IP....5 hits....7 runs
Stephenson's last 3 games....3 IP....6 hits....3 runs
Duke's last 2 games...........1.2 IP....2 hits....2 runs

12.2 IP....26 hits....22 runs....15.63 ERA

That is just insane.

Here’s where I can blame the manager. Disco was pulled the night before with only 73 pitches thrown without giving up a run and up 4-0. Mahle is up 3-1, with 95 pitches and stays in the game. Bell didn’t have anyone up in the bullpen throwing as the inning started. Hernandez got a handful of warmup pitches before being thrown to the wolves. Hernandez has warmed up or came into game 4 days in a row now(too much). Not learning immediately from his brain fart, Bell didn’t have another reliever up as Hernandez entered the game. Hernandez came into a 3-1 game and was left in way too long. He wasn’t on his game but Bell has to stick with him until the Reds we’re behind 6-3. He had to because there wasn’t anyone loose to bring in yet. That’s twice in the inning that he didn’t warm up someone when he should have. The Reds radio announcers were raising hell about it as it was happening. They were shocked at both cases and it it lost the game. Yes, Hernandez didn’t pitch well but Bell didn’t warm him up and then didn’t get him out when any normal manager would have.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 04:57 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Here’s where I can blame the manager. Disco was pulled the night before with only 73 pitches thrown without giving up a run and up 4-0. Mahle is up 3-1, with 95 pitches and stays in the game. Bell didn’t have anyone up in the bullpen throwing as the inning started. Hernandez got a handful of warmup pitches before being thrown to the wolves. Hernandez has warmed up or came into game 4 days in a row now(too much). Not learning immediately from his brain fart, Bell didn’t have another reliever up as Hernandez entered the game. Hernandez came into a 3-1 game and was left in way too long. He wasn’t on his game but Bell has to stick with him until the Reds we’re behind 6-3. He had to because there wasn’t anyone loose to bring in yet. That’s twice in the inning that he didn’t warm up someone when he should have. The Reds radio announcers were raising hell about it as it was happening. They were shocked at both cases and it it lost the game. Yes, Hernandez didn’t pitch well but Bell didn’t warm him up and then didn’t get him out when any normal manager would have.

Agree,

No Bell hasn't been out there throwing the pitches. But he's made several really bad decisions of late as you mention.

These are very critical games and to not have guys warming up in the bullpen is just poor managing any way you slice it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds need to win out before break to warrant becoming buyers. I hope they do not let Castillo go to the Yankees. If not for the horrible start and some rookie manager decisions, they would be contending now which is nothing short of amazing.

Do they move Puig? Or send Trammel somewhere for pitching?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

No Bell hasn't been out there throwing the pitches. But he's made several really bad decisions of late as you mention.

These are very critical games and to not have guys warming up in the bullpen is just poor managing any way you slice it.

They absolutely have to win these head to head matchups with the leaders in the division! I have no built in dislike for Bell, I’d actually like to see him succeed. Every manager does some head scratching stuff, this guy has cost the Reds at least 6 losses. I wish that he would get it together, many things are common sense. I also think that his musical lineups of nobody knowing when they’re playing or where they’re hitting has played a part in this years hitting. Timing is a real thing in hitting.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 01:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the Reds need to win out before break to warrant becoming buyers. I hope they do not let Castillo go to the Yankees. If not for the horrible start and some rookie manager decisions, they would be contending now which is nothing short of amazing.

Do they move Puig? Or send Trammel somewhere for pitching?

I really think that they will be holders until close to the trade deadline. They won’t trade Castillo. Puig has played much better as of late. They probably won’t shop too many guys but will listen to offers. Next years outfield is still up in the air except for Senzel. A productive Ervin may play into the Puig decision too.
Reply/Quote
Suarez heating up! Just hit a 2 run homer to give Reds an early lead.
Reply/Quote
Reds in extra innings. A loss gives Brewers the series and even sets up chance for Brewers to sweep Reds. So in extra innings, GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 10:59 PM)kevin Wrote: Reds in extra innings.  A loss gives Brewers the series and even sets up chance for Brewers to sweep Reds.  So in extra innings, GO REDS.

It's a 4 game series.
Reply/Quote
Wow what a way to win!!! REDS WIN!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Announcers : " Reds Win, Reds Win, Reds Win, on the legs of Puig ". Great heads up play by Puig going from 1st to Home on a single.

So Reds back to 5 under .500 and Reds have a chance to get a much needed series win over a division team not named Cubs.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Scooter left the game early with no mention yet as to why.
Reply/Quote
They just said he has left groin tightness.
Reply/Quote
Sonny Gray pitches a gem ! 8 full innings, 12 K's, no runs 3-0 good guys

Puig is just on fire :andy:
Reply/Quote
That was like Reds having Max Scherzer on the mound. Sonny Gray : 8 Innings, 0 Runs, 11 K's or was it 12. REDS WIN.

GO REDS, get after Brewers again 4th of July.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Superb outing by Gray. Saved the relievers from work. Puig is a man-child. Tightness in Gennett's groin is not related to prior injury but it shows he isn't quite in playing shape yet. Hope he gets his swing back. Puig may be a keeper in RF.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Happy 4th everyone!!!! Soon to be anyway... Sonny looked fabulous, Puig has been pounding the ball and Bell managed a great game tonight. A win tomorrow and all 5 teams are bunched up within 3 1/2 games. It’s a fun thing just to be competitive for this first half. I’d like to see a reliever added via trade and let’s make a run at the division!!!!!!
Reply/Quote