Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of July Game Thread
Odd that Milwaukee lost to us and jumped right into first place as the Pirates beat the Cubs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Superb outing by Gray.  Saved the relievers from work.  Puig is a man-child.  Tightness in Gennett's groin is not related to prior injury but it shows he isn't quite in playing shape yet.  Hope he gets his swing back.  Puig may be a keeper in RF.

I'm beginning to warm up to Puig. I don't know that I'll ever like the lazy approach to some base hits in the outfield he does trying to bait the runner into taking an extra base.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2019, 08:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm beginning to warm up to Puig. I don't know that I'll ever like the lazy approach to some base hits in the outfield he does trying to bait the runner into taking an extra base.

Me, . . . um . . . too? I posted this after he struck out in the second inning on June 14th. After rising for awhile, his average dropped and dropped again back down to .212 after that at bat.
(06-14-2019, 09:44 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Puig should try something new, like swing late on every ***** pitch.

He's done. Trade him, bench him, move on. It's irritating watching him do he same mistakes over and over and apparently not give a shit.
He went 3 for 3 for the rest of the game(back up to .222 after that game) as he swung with a smoother and calmer swing, like he was just trying to hit the ball, not crush it. He's now batting .247 and has been busting his ass a lot more. There's still some room to improve on his sometimes 'too casual' approach, but he's pretty fun to watch right now.

While looking up my Cuban crow dinner, I noticed this post that I had made the day before on June 13th
Quote:Pirates 7 game losing streak puts the Reds in 4th place by a game

Record GB Club
39-29 0.0 Milwaukee
38-29 0.5 Chicago
33-33 5.0 St. Louis
30-36 8.0 Cincinnati
30-38 9.0 Pittsburgh
After July 3rd
_ 46-41 0.0 Milwaukee 7-12 since June 13th
_ 45-42 1.0 Chicago 7-13
_ 42-42 2.5 St. Louis 9-9
_ 42-43 3.0 Pittsburgh 12-5
_ 40-44 4.5 Cincinnati 10-8

Well, the Pirates picked it up, basically putting them right where they were when the losing streak started. They have Corey Dickerson back and he's one of their best hitters. Hopefully they stay hot into the All-Star break . . . they play at home against Milwaukee to close it out.

That 10-8 is not bad by the Reds. They are 14-14 since May 31st in which every game has been against a team that currently .500 or better. If Pittsburgh and St. Louis both win today, every game since May 14th will be against teams that are .500 or better. They are 22-22 over that stretch.

This is why I still think that this team can win it all* if the hitting improves only a little. They can easily go toe to toe with the big teams as long as Bell stays out of the way. Once in the playoffs, yeah, you need to hit, but pitching is king.

* denotes that I always think my team can win it all until they are mathematically eliminated. Even the lame ass Bengals.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Now Amir Garrett is put on the 10 day IL with a left lat strain. Don't need injuries to start piling up.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-put-their-top-reliever-injured-list/lOYNp6wGXULKTmQKRBHGnO/?fbclid=IwAR03nnASNCy9UrqttJV1s1XZGiyPbK655rUVA8ET8nHnASk0xNlD64-pKGY
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2019, 01:04 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Now Amir Garrett is put on the 10 day IL with a left lat strain. Don't need injuries to start piling up.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-put-their-top-reliever-injured-list/lOYNp6wGXULKTmQKRBHGnO/?fbclid=IwAR03nnASNCy9UrqttJV1s1XZGiyPbK655rUVA8ET8nHnASk0xNlD64-pKGY

Damn, Garrett has been pretty good this season.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Puig and Votto have been hitting. Puig helped with another RBI today, thus with Castillo on mound, 1-0 good guys.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Castillo through 6 trying to do something special on the 4th.
Reply/Quote
Why PH for Winker when he is 3/3?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Dam rain!
Reply/Quote
Brewers get a real break on rain delay.....Castillo was in 8th pitching shutout and not at 100 pitches yet, looked like he could finish the 8th.....Now Reds will probably have to go to bullpen to get out of the 8th....Just because Castillo was shutting the Brewers down, that don't mean the bullpen will. I think the score is only 1-0. Brew Crew got a big break. The only thing that could have stopped Castillo was rain, because the All-Star was On His Game. ....GO REDS, WIN THIS THING.

Right now Reds TV showing recent games and now Rose into Fosse in All-Star Game 1970 days after Riverfront just opened. You could say it opened with a BANG, Rose into Fosse to win All-Star Game. Still, I could care less. Get back on the field and WIN THIS GAME. No way Castillo can warm up again, good way to injure him. The bullpen has to pitch shut-out ball also rest of 8th and in the 9th to win this.

The pitching by Gray and Castillo in less than 24 hours time, Koufax and Drysdale could not have pitched any better.

Now Iglesias just saved a game less tan 24 hours ago. I would think Lorenzen may come into this game. I'm sure Bell had a plan for the late inning pitchers today.

David Hernandez in, who has been roughed up lately....and he walks Aguillar.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Hernandez K's the next batter, Reds out of 8th in spite of Rain that took out Castillo. Iglesias warming up in the pen for his 2nd save in less than 24 hours. His first batter will be Yelich. 2 saves in less than 24 hours is hard to do. These aren't computer game robots, they are flesh and blood. It can be done though. I'm hoping Castillo and Reds get this win.

So here we go, still 1-0 in 9th. Iglesias to face Yelich and tough batters after him. This will be no easy save. Edge of your seat baseball.

....and Yelich starts with a double.

Now one out away, BUT trying run on 3rd.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Iggy has his work cut out for him
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Great win! Incredible catch by Ervin for that 1st out! Dam shame they let the first game get away from them. Only 3.5 out of first. Who would have thought.
Reply/Quote
Hell of a play by Ervin. Hell of a win! Red's win series against Brew crew.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
REDS WIN, REDS WIN, REDS WIN

On the 4th of July Reds are 3 games under .500 and around 3 games out of FIRST PLACE. You beat the Cubs and Brewers, you move up Fast.

THIS is Baseball. Close to First Place on 4th of July. THIS is Baseball.

Ervin made great catch in spite of fans with their gloves in 9th. Gray and Castillo as good as it gets. BUT, Iglesias with 2 saves in less than 24 hours. I'm just glad he had some gas left in the tank for it. The Brew Crew no easy saves. 1-0 Win.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
So Reds 3 and 1/2 games out of FIRST PLACE on 4th of July. Lets look at the Pitching. Can They Win NL Cenral....Castillo an All Star, Gray is on his game. So is Disco. Roark over the last 3 or 4 years is maybe the best innings eater in all baseball, and those stats you can look em' up. Roark gives you a lot of good innings. Mahle not bad for a 5th pitcher. Maybe we get Wood in, who knows. Pretty good bullpen. Good Defense, no weak gloves. Clutch hitting. ....YES, The Reds could WIN the NL Central. ...Votto's bat woke up, Puig is great, Suarez is a monster, and many other good hitters. YES, REDS ARE FOR REAL NOW.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2019, 06:59 PM)kevin Wrote: So Reds 3 and 1/2 games out of FIRST PLACE on 4th of July.  Lets look at the Pitching. Can They Win NL Cenral....Castillo an All Star, Gray is on his game.  So is Disco.  Roark over the last 3 or 4 years is maybe the best innings eater in all baseball, and those stats you can look em' up.  Roark gives you a lot of good innings.  Mahle not bad for a 5th pitcher.  Maybe we get Wood in, who knows.  Pretty good bullpen.  Good Defense, no weak gloves.  Clutch hitting.  ....YES, The Reds could WIN the NL Central. ...Votto's bat woke up, Puig is great, Suarez is a monster, and many other good hitters.   YES, REDS ARE FOR REAL NOW.

I think Reds trade Roark for some prospects.  But keeps Puig.  Wood is going on rehab and if all goes well, Wood would take Roark's spot.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2019, 07:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Reds trade Roark for some prospects.  But keeps Puig.  Wood is going on rehab and if all goes well, Wood would take Roark's spot.  

With the Reds very much in the playoff hunt now, I just don't see Roark going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
Great win !! Reds get it done when they had to get it done. Despite the horrible start, despite the offense on life support to begin the season, despite the main pitcher they traded for not starting his first game yet.

They took 5 of 7 from the two top teams in the division. They're 3 games below .500 and the big one..... they're only two games down in the loss column.

You gotta love their heart ! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
This season has been crazy. Everytime i get excited and say we are still in it they take a dive. Everytime I say we are out of it they make a run.

We are absolutely in the thick of a playoff race even though we are still under .500.
Reply/Quote