Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LF, CF, 2B 2020 ??
These are the three big question marks among position players for next season.

Like it or not Votto is 1B next season, hopefully Iglesias is SS. Suarez 3B, Barnhart C, and Aquino RF. But what do we do at LF,CF,2B ?

We have Senzel of course but do they keep him playing CF ? I like FSV, or somebody said don't know if it's wise to keep him out there running into the wall with his health/body ? Perhaps they should move him to 2B ?

Here's a list of the guys we've got a decent look at for options:

There listed at the positions they have them at on website

Ervin R - 27 yrs old RF .273 avg 7 HR 21 RBI .471 SLG in 227 AB's

Peraza R 25 yrs old 2B .240 avg 6 HR 33 RBI .344 SLG in 363 AB's

Galvis S 29 yrs old SS .234 avg 5 HR 16 RBI .411 SLG in 107 AB's

VanMeter L 24 yrs old LF .235 AVG 8 HR 23 RBI .407 SLG in 221 AB's

Farmer R 29 yrs old 2B .233 AVG 9 HR 27 RBi .420 SLG in 176 AB's

Winker L 26 yrs old LF .269 AVG 16 HR 38 RBI .473 SLG in 338 AB's

Are any of these guys regular position player material ?

IMO Ervin has done well enough to keep but he's probably a rotation/bench guy at best. Peraza, damn ! He's just a year removed from a damn good season and still young, but I'm also not sure he's more than a backup ?

I had high hopes for Galvis when he first got here, he was on fire and I hoped the light had finally come on. He's cooled off considerably since then. Good defender, good bench guy but not sure he's a starter ?

VanMeter I had really high hopes for but he can't hit the lefties. He's young enough that I hope they keep him as a bench guy. Farmer isn't a spring chicken but he can play anywhere so if he stays for a bench guy it's good but I'm again not sure he's a starter ?

Winker is just a giant question mark ? I like his attitude and desire ! But again he can't hit southpaws. He's batting .163 with 0 HR and 2 RBI on the season.

All this leads me to believe if the Reds want to contend next season they need to get a top shelf LF. Somebody has to make up for what we most likely won't get from 1B. We can probably get by at CF and 2B out of this bunch ? But we have to get another real slugger.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not sure what free agents are available for LF. The Reds may need to trade a pitcher for a LFer. As for Galvis, he is the SS if Iggy doesn't sign. I hope he does. I have a feeling Peraza ends up in LF.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 03:06 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Not sure what free agents are available for LF. The Reds may need to trade a pitcher for a LFer. As for Galvis, he is the SS if Iggy doesn't sign. I hope he does. I have a feeling Peraza ends up in LF.

No way Peraza ends up in LF before Ervin.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 02:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: These are the three big question marks among position players for next season.

Like it or not Votto is 1B next season, hopefully Iglesias is SS. Suarez 3B, Barnhart C, and Aquino RF. But what do we do at LF,CF,2B ?

We have Senzel of course but do they keep him playing CF ? I like FSV, or somebody said don't know if it's wise to keep him out there running into the wall with his health/body ? Perhaps they should move him to 2B ?

Here's a list of the guys we've got a decent look at for options:

There listed at the positions they have them at on website

Ervin R - 27 yrs old RF .273 avg 7 HR 21 RBI .471 SLG in 227 AB's

Peraza R 25 yrs old 2B .240 avg 6 HR 33 RBI .344 SLG in 363 AB's

Galvis S 29 yrs old SS .234 avg 5 HR 16 RBI .411 SLG in 107 AB's

VanMeter L 24 yrs old LF .235 AVG 8 HR 23 RBI .407 SLG in 221 AB's

Farmer R 29 yrs old 2B .233 AVG 9 HR 27 RBi .420 SLG in 176 AB's

Winker L 26 yrs old LF .269 AVG 16 HR 38 RBI .473 SLG in 338 AB's

Are any of these guys regular position player material ?

IMO Ervin has done well enough to keep but he's probably a rotation/bench guy at best. Peraza, damn ! He's just a year removed from a damn good season and still young, but I'm also not sure he's more than a backup ?

I had high hopes for Galvis when he first got here, he was on fire and I hoped the light had finally come on. He's cooled off considerably since then. Good defender, good bench guy but not sure he's a starter ?

VanMeter I had really high hopes for but he can't hit the lefties. He's young enough that I hope they keep him as a bench guy. Farmer isn't a spring chicken but he can play anywhere so if he stays for a bench guy it's good but I'm again not sure he's a starter ?

Winker is just a giant question mark ? I like his attitude and desire ! But again he can't hit southpaws. He's batting .163 with 0 HR and 2 RBI on the season.

All this leads me to believe if the Reds want to contend next season they need to get a top shelf LF. Somebody has to make up for what we most likely won't get from 1B. We can probably get by at CF and 2B out of this bunch ? But we have to get another real slugger.
It really looks like a cluster F to me. There’s a legitimate starter at 3B and that’s it. The 1B is in a serious decline but will start regardless of how he produces. Iglesias is an acceptable starting SS that isn’t under contract yet. Senzel and Aquino are huge question marks that are worth gambling on next year but they are question marks. Winker and Ervin look like 4th Outfielders to me. Catcher is an acceptable platoon, they’re middle of the pack guys. Everyone else are bench player quality. They need to resign Iglesias and add 2 established starting Outfielders and move Senzel to 2B.
One of the Outfielders needs to be a legitimate LH power bat and the other needs to be a legitimate leadoff hitter. They also need to add a proven starting pitcher, a closer and 2 other solid relievers. Anything less than what I’m saying is halfass. They need 6 strong additions to the team to compete for the divisional title. If it’s ownership’s goal to win a title, this is a real plan. They need to identify who they want early and spend a lot of money. They need to go for it all at least one year!
Reply/Quote
Gaah

Where to start?
Move Senzel to 2nd base.  Sign Iggy (SS) to a 3 year contract.  Infield would be solid.  Nothing to do with Votto.  He is an anchor.  Outfield?  Sign Puig, put him at Center.  Keep The puniser RF.  Winker LF I guess.  Then remake the freaking bullpen, get a solid closer.  and one more SP.  Mahle doesn't have it.  Gray-Castillo-Bauer (ugh)-Disco-new SP.  Get two new relievers.  Even then, this team is far from competing.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 01:22 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It really looks like a cluster F to me. There’s a legitimate starter at 3B and that’s it. The 1B is in a serious decline but will start regardless of how he produces. Iglesias is an acceptable starting SS that isn’t under contract yet. Senzel and Aquino are huge question marks that are worth gambling on next year but they are question marks. Winker and Ervin look like 4th Outfielders to me. Catcher is an acceptable platoon, they’re middle of the pack guys. Everyone else are bench player quality. They need to resign Iglesias and add 2 established starting Outfielders and move Senzel to 2B.
One of the Outfielders needs to be a legitimate LH power bat and the other needs to be a legitimate leadoff hitter. They also need to add a proven starting pitcher, a closer and 2 other solid relievers. Anything less than what I’m saying is halfass. They need 6 strong additions to the team to compete for the divisional title. If it’s ownership’s goal to win a title, this is a real plan. They need to identify who they want early and spend a lot of money.T

Agree,

They need a LH slugger out in left......BAD ! They also need a top shelf LH starting pitcher to go along with Castillo, Gray, Disco, and pray Bauer turns it around. Agree also they need a top shelf closer, R. Iglesias isn't him.

In my mind the time to strike is now !!! We'll see ?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 02:27 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gaah

Where to start?
Move Senzel to 2nd base.  Sign Iggy (SS) to a 3 year contract.  Infield would be solid.  Nothing to do with Votto.  He is an anchor.  Outfield?  Sign Puig, put him at Center.  Keep The puniser RF.  Winker LF I guess.  Then remake the freaking bullpen, get a solid closer.  and one more SP.  Mahle doesn't have it.  Gray-Castillo-Bauer (ugh)-Disco-new SP.  Get two new relievers.  Even then, this team is far from competing.

I'm just not so sure Winker is the answer ? He stinks bad against lefties and we need a real gem that can help take up Votto's slack. I'm talking a 35-40 HR guy 110 RBI's, a guy that can drive the ball deep against LH or RH pitchers and pick up those sac flies.

You just can't have so little production from two power positions (LF 1B). Then add in Aquino still isn't proven holding down RF, Suarez can't do it all.

They've got a decent core to build from now, it's time to make some real moves.
Reply/Quote
Cant say i've ever seen a team with such a discrepancy between their leading rbi guy and their 2nd best. Puig is still 2nd on the club. With Votto not producing we need at least two 80 rbi guys plus in the outfield. Aquino is potential of one. The rest is uncertain. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/cin/table/batting/sort/RBIs/dir/desc
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 08:13 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Cant say i've ever seen a team with such a discrepancy between their leading rbi guy and their 2nd best.  Puig is still 2nd on the club.  With Votto not producing we need at least two 80 rbi guys plus in the outfield. Aquino is potential of one.  The rest is uncertain. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/cin/table/batting/sort/RBIs/dir/desc

Yup

It's just sad when the guy in 2nd place in RBI's hasn't been on the team since July 28th or whatever.
Reply/Quote