Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds NEED a New Good Manager ASAP
Before they blow it up and rebuild, they need a Manager who knows who to get and how to rebuild. After all these seasons near last place, it needs Blown Up. Awful Cubs and Astros showed hiring a good manager to blow the team up and rebuild was a good move just a few years ago.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The Reds last 5 seasons:

14 76-86
15 64-98
16 68-94
17 68-94
18 67-95

They've averaged 93.4 losses over the last FIVE YEARS! Several bottom feeders have turned it around in way less than 5 years. The Brewers as one example.

They had the lowest attendance since 1984 this season. They absolutely have to make some major strides this off season especially with the starting pitching staff. They have to move on from Homer Bailey and hire a new manager or you're going to hear nothing but crickets in that stadium next season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would love to find the right answer to a manager. As long as this team cant pitch though, it wont matter. We just seem to have a hard time developing pitchers. It's always been that way. I don't know if it is scouting or just development. Maybe adding an extra minor league team this year will help, which we did. Perhaps we just need to emphasize pitching in the draft more over hitters. It's just really frustrating. You'd think we'd hit on a few based on law of averages once in a while.

On a side note. I watched the Cubs and Rockies on ESPN 2 last night, which was the stat broadcast. Range of defenders, and shifts, and hard contact percentages, etc,...good stuff.
Reply/Quote
Been a Reds fan since I was a small child. Through all the ups and downs.

But now I have a different take on my beloved Reds--**** the Reds. They look like they either don't have a clue or just don't care. I'm not talking about the players, just the ownership and management.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 01:24 PM)McC Wrote: Been a Reds fan since I was a small child.  Through all the ups and downs.

But now I have a different take on my beloved Reds--**** the Reds.  They look like they either don't have a clue or just don't care.  I'm not talking about the players, just the ownership and management.

Everybody and I mean everybody screams Castellini is dying to win, is all about winning, strives to win. There's nowhere left to hide ! This off season he's going to have to prove it.

20 years ago baseball managers pretty much ran the show, along with GM's of course. Not so anymore, managers are shadows of their former selves. Not saying the manager isn't important.

But you're right Castellini has to change the way he's been doing things cause it ain't working ! We're getting into a MB type show here.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 02:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Everybody and I mean everybody screams Castellini is dying to win, is all about winning, strives to win. There's nowhere left to hide ! This off season he's going to have to prove it.

20 years ago baseball managers pretty much ran the show, along with GM's of course. Not so anymore, managers are shadows of their former selves. Not saying the manager isn't important.

But you're right Castellini has to change the way he's been doing things cause it ain't working ! We're getting into a MB type show here.

What is the old saying? Oh yeah, talk is cheap. 

Yeah, now-a-days things are much more analytical, so really the job is kinda done for them in alot of regards. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 01:24 PM)McC Wrote: Been a Reds fan since I was a small child.  Through all the ups and downs.

But now I have a different take on my beloved Reds--**** the Reds.  They look like they either don't have a clue or just don't care.  I'm not talking about the players, just the ownership and management.

ThumbsUp

Same. My dad and grandpa was HUGE reds fans. We lived maybe 10-12 min from the stadium (think it was called Cherl woods complex?), so we would always either go to the game or listen on the radio while working on stuff outside. They weren't even that great (during the 80's), but they always played hard. 
Reply/Quote
My Google feed stated that the Reds interviewed Joe Girardi for the job

Lance McAlister thinks that David Bell may be a good candidate for the job
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Interviewed Girardi, Ausmus and Bell. I find Bell pretty intriguing and being a local kid helps. I know he cares about the team, not just a paycheck.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joe-girardi-among-candidates-for-reds-manager/c-296967714
Reply/Quote
This team fell apart under Price and Riggleman not much different. I really don't want somebody close to the team and use to the Price way. They need a manager with a whole new direction. Again, they need to do this ASAP. Before World Series. Before off season. The manager needs some say in things, because Reds GM department doesn't have a clue either.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 11:26 AM)kevin Wrote: This team fell apart under Price and Riggleman not much different.  I really don't want somebody close to the team and use to the Price way.  They need a manager with a whole new direction.  Again, they need to do this ASAP.  Before World Series.  Before off season.  The manager needs some say in things, because Reds GM department doesn't have a clue either.

Right, I hope the choice is made in just the next few days.
Reply/Quote
There are lots of good manager candidates available. They said on the last Reds game that you cannot interview a candidate that is still in the playoffs until their season is done. Not sure if the Reds have someone in mind. Personally, the rebuild has failed and the Reds need a completely new rebuild to begin. We have Votto and Suarez locked up for years so maybe begin with them as the core. The Reds need an offseason trade for an ace pitcher to give them 20 wins. That could be costly though. I think one win Bailey was intended to be the ace.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 11:26 AM)kevin Wrote: This team fell apart under Price and Riggleman not much different.  I really don't want somebody close to the team and use to the Price way.  They need a manager with a whole new direction.  Again, they need to do this ASAP.  Before World Series.  Before off season.  The manager needs some say in things, because Reds GM department doesn't have a clue either.

Might have to wait until after postseason if we are considering anyone on the staff of the best teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 03:13 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  The Reds need an offseason trade for an ace pitcher to give them 20 wins. That could be costly though.

The only player we have worth trading for is Gennett.  The only minor league prospect we have ready to step up is Senzel who can play 2nd.

If we trade Hamilton we have no outfielders ready to step up.  Phil Ervin will be 26 next season, so it is unlikely that he is going to make and dramatic improvement.  Same for Mason Williams who will be 27.
Reply/Quote
I guess we need to find that guy who can win without a pitching staff. Gotta be lots of them around, right?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:21 PM)McC Wrote: I guess we need to find that guy who can win without a pitching staff.  Gotta be lots of them around, right?

NO, we need that guy to come in and have power to rebuild since owner and GM don't have a clue like Mike Brown Bungles era of 1990's.   Let manager rebuild this team and bring in pitching, even if it means trading Joey Votto.  Reds are in last place every year with Votto, even in 2017 good year for Votto.  I'm not saying we can get one of the expensive great pitchers in baseball, and that would be a mistake also.  Team needs 3 or 4 good starters and a Nasty Boys Bullpen.  Also Defense, pitching no good without Defense.  Now if they keep Votto, fine. If they trade Votto, fine.  

Some say a manager makes no difference. I say people who say that watch too much fake wrestling.  Manager makes a huge difference when given an input into player trades.  Sparky came to Reds, traded fan favorites but turned team into winner. He did same at Detroit.  Pete Rose had team back to winning.  Lou Piniella was up in Front Office every day yelling for more pitching, and Lou made a difference.  Jack McKeon made a difference here and in Miami and said if he had stayed with Reds, they never pay and sign Ken Griffey Jr.  Probably right since Reds always last place with Griffey.  Dusty Baker made a difference.  Madden won with Tampa and Cubs, something no other managers do.  Managers helped blow up and rebuild awful Cubs and Astros.  People that think managers don't make a difference don't know a thing about baseball.  Why even my best year in baseball as a kid was due to the manager, before and after him the managers weren't very good.  That one year we had a man that knew his baseball and taught us things, he didn't just show up and leave. Taught me to step into the ball. Other managers in other years didn't teach me anything. That manager also had extra practices. He was a good manager and we won because of it. You think the Pros are different, the players know everything. All Reds players know is how to lose. How to miss cut off man, how to throw to wrong base, how to run themselves out of an inning, how not to bunt and lose games.

The Reds STINK. Worst team in baseball over the last 5 years. Just awful.  Accept that.  Accept that Major Changes needed STARTING WITH MANAGER.  Don't bring in players and then a manager, they may not be players he wants.  Bring in a Manager ASAP, and let him help blow up the team and rebuild it.  I like catchers as managers, they know pitching, defense, hitting.  I see Reds have interviewed a couple catchers.  I might add Red Sox minor league winning manager and ex Red Champ Joe Oliver, Catcher.  Catchers know good pitching. Reds need good pitching.  Joe Giradi, Mike Scioscia, Joe Oliver, David Ross, I'm hoping a catcher as next Manager. I don't think Reds ever sought out Johnny Bench enough on his knowledge of the game. A catcher as a manager can see from the dugout if a pitcher is on, or off, has a future on team or just doesn't have it. Who better to go to the mound than a catcher Manager.

Reds can't afford top pitchers in the game most expensive, and bad direction. They should start with getting best Nasty Boys bullpen in baseball, that they can afford. Reds have a couple starters worth keeping. No reason Reds can't find a couple starters they can afford to give them innings and get them to the bullpen innings. Homer Bailey they should try to trade for nothing in return just to dump his salary. I would add Joe Votto to Bailey in a package deal if nobody wants Bailey. Reds free up half their payroll for a whole new team right there. That's up to the new Manager though, not me. They need a new Manager to blow it all up and rebuild.

This attitude that new manager can't win with such bad pitching is WRONG. You bring in a new manager ASAP, before free agency and trades, so he can dump Reds players and bring in Pitching and other things Reds need to WIN. Just like Bengals dumped coaches to rebuild and are now 4-1, it all started with admitting team had major problems. If Bengals had problems near .500 ball, then Reds are a disaster area. The Reds Triple A and Double A teams stink also. Trading veterans for minor league players hasn't panned out at all. There are innings eating veterans Reds can afford to pitch them into 6th inning. Maybe not shutout pitchers, but will keep score close. Reds can find some veteran pitchers they can afford. Get good long relievers and middle relievers, get a Nasty Boys Bullpen because Reds can afford to pay relievers and build that.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 04:21 PM)kevin Wrote: NO, we need that guy to come in and have power to rebuild since owner and GM don't have a clue like Mike Brown Bungles era of 1990's.   Let manager rebuild this team and bring in pitching, even if it means trading Joey Votto.  Reds are in last place every year with Votto, even in 2017 good year for Votto.  I'm not saying we can get one of the expensive great pitchers in baseball, and that would be a mistake also.  Team needs 3 or 4 good starters and a Nasty Boys Bullpen.  Also Defense, pitching no good without Defense.  Now if they keep Votto, fine. If they trade Votto, fine.  

Some say a manager makes no difference. I say people who say that watch too much fake wrestling.  Manager makes a huge difference when given an input into player trades.  Sparky came to Reds, traded fan favorites but turned team into winner. He did same at Detroit.  Pete Rose had team back to winning.  Lou Piniella was up in Front Office every day yelling for more pitching, and Lou made a difference.  Jack McKeon made a difference here and in Miami and said if he had stayed with Reds, they never pay and sign Ken Griffey Jr.  Probably right since Reds always last place with Griffey.  Dusty Baker made a difference.  Madden won with Tampa and Cubs, something no other managers do.  Managers helped blow up and rebuild awful Cubs and Astros.  People that think managers don't make a difference don't know a thing about baseball.  Why even my best year in baseball as a kid was due to the manager, before and after him the managers weren't very good.  That one year we had a man that knew his baseball and taught us things, he didn't just show up and leave. Taught me to step into the ball. Other managers in other years didn't teach me anything. That manager also had extra practices. He was a good manager and we won because of it. You think the Pros are different, the players know everything. All Reds players know is how to lose.

The Reds STINK. Worst team in baseball over the last 5 years. Just awful.  Accept that.  Accept that Major Changes needed STARTING WITH MANAGER.  Don't bring in players and then a manager, they may not be players he wants.  Bring in a Manager ASAP, and let him help blow up the team and rebuild it.  I like catchers as managers, they know pitching, defense, hitting.  I see Reds have interviewed a couple catchers.  I might add Red Sox minor league winning manager and ex Red Champ Joe Oliver, Catcher.  Catchers know good pitching. Reds need good pitching. 

Managers don't make trades.  General managers do.  And no manager would have won anything with the pitching we had last year.

I don't care if we bring in a new manager or not.  But I know that the manager won't make any difference if we don't find more pitching.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 04:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Managers don't make trades.  General managers do.  And no manager would have won anything with the pitching we had last year.

I don't care if we bring in a new manager or not. But I know that the manager won't make any difference if we don't find more pitching.

Yep,

MLB starts with pitching and it ends with pitching ! They can bring in a dozen managers and two dozen Senzel's and it will matter not with a starting pitching staff full of 5 ERA 10 win starters.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 04:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Managers don't make trades.  General managers do.  And no manager would have won anything with the pitching we had last year.

I don't care if we bring in a new manager or not.  But I know that the manager won't make any difference if we don't find more pitching.

Or find out why our pitching has taken a back seat in the development area. We have pitching talent, but no where near the production. I think they tinker with the Braves approach to pitching next year too. That is, have a deep bull-pen, use those guys thru the lineup first time around, then put your SP in. They experimented it with Lorenzen and Sal in the later parts of the year. Think they did with Garret too. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 08:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

MLB starts with pitching and it ends with pitching ! They can bring in a dozen managers and two dozen Senzel's and it will matter not with a starting pitching staff full of 5 ERA 10 win starters.

I think that well is dried up tho. Solid SP who throw 200+ innings are rare anymore. Like, really rare. A total of 13 pitchers threw for 200+ innings this year, lowest in a long time. 
Reply/Quote