Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Now Overloaded In RF
Kemp in Left. Puig, Schebler, Winker in Right. Somebody has to move from Right to Center and play good defense. This isn't about batting stats. You can't be weak up the middle on defense. You can never be weak in Center. Center has to be fast, good glove, strong arm. Willie Mays is the goal on defense, you can live with a Micky Mantle. Geronimo was best on CF defense I saw with Reds. Pinson, Davis, Griffey Jr, Hamilton also good. Who plays Center is Huge. No point in trying to get pitching if you put a real slow iron glove in Center.

I look at Puig, Schebler and Winker and I see 3 players that need to play every day. Kemp plays every day in Left. One will be the odd man out. I see a trade coming in Reds future. There is also Ervin and Sin. Now you need bench depth, and injuries happen, players go into awful years of slumps. You need depth. Still, I see a trade down the road for the odd man out in the Reds Outfield.

I think Reds have the right guy in Bell to make the right moves.

The young Winker has shown he can be a table setter and get on base with hits in top of the order. He has an opportunity to show he can play Center and Hit, and if he does that, he could be the guy. They may want to go to Arizona and see who steps up this March and April, or they could trade for other needs now. Having too many good plays is not as bad as not having enough good players. The Reds are getting interesting this off season.

Even in Fantasy Baseball and season going and you need to add a free agent pitcher or infielder and you are forced to give up one of your over loaded outfielders. You don't want to, but you really need to make some urgent moves. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing Reds have all these outfielders, and I'm sure one will step up and play solid CF. Not as good as Hamilton on D, but solid. I'm thinking Winker. Possibly Ervin. If Winker can hit and play Center, that would be Huge. I have doubts about Schebler or Puig in Center, maybe a step too slow.

Bell will get a good D in CF and Reds are set at LF and RF with so much depth a possible trade down the road for Pitching, or Infield or a Top Minor Prospect. It should work out fine. Should be a good solid OF on Defense and at the plate, especially in Great American SMALL Park of some easy home runs.

I'm really looking forward to Reds for first time in years, I just changed TV Companies and I insisted on package with Reds Games, and in last few years I would not have cared about Fox Ohio, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I want to see the 2019 Reds.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:07 PM)kevin Wrote: Kemp in Left.  Puig, Schebler, Winker in Right.  Somebody has to move from Right to Center and play good defense. This isn't about batting stats.  You can't be weak up the middle on defense.  You can never be weak in Center.  Center has to be fast, good glove, strong arm.  Willie Mays is the goal on defense, you can live with a Micky Mantle.  Geronimo was best on CF defense I saw with Reds.  Pinson, Davis, Griffey Jr, Hamilton also good.  Who plays Center is Huge.  No point in trying to get pitching if you put a real slow iron glove in Center.

I look at Puig, Schebler and Winker and I see 3 players that need to play every day. Kemp plays every day in Left. One will be the odd man out.  I see a trade coming in Reds future. There is also Ervin and Sin.  Now you need bench depth, and injuries happen, players go into awful years of slumps.  You need depth.  Still, I see a trade down the road for the odd man out in the Reds Outfield.

The young Winker has shown he can be a table setter and get on base with hits in top of the order.  He has an opportunity to show he can play Center and Hit, and if he does that, he could be the guy.  They may want to go to Arizona and see who steps up this March and April,  or they could trade for other needs now.  Having too many good plays is not as bad as not having enough good players.  The Reds are getting interesting this off season.

Even in Fantasy Baseball and season going and you need to add a free agent pitcher or infielder and you are forced to give up one of your over loaded outfielders. You don't want to, but you really need to make some urgent moves.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing Reds have all these outfielders, and I'm sure one will step up and play solid CF. Not as good as Hamilton on D, but solid.  I'm thinking Winker.  Possibly Ervin. If Winker can hit and play Center, that would be Huge. I have doubts about Schebler or Puig in Center, maybe a step too slow.

Bell will get a good D in CF and Reds are set at LF and RF with so much depth a possible trade down the road for Pitching, or Infield or a Top Minor Prospect. It should work out fine.  Should be a good solid OF on Defense and at the plate, especially in Great American SMALL Park of some easy home runs.

I'm really looking forward to Reds for first time in years, I just changed TV Companies and I insisted on package with Reds Games, and in last few years I would not have cared about Fox Ohio, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I want to see the 2019 Reds.
With all due respect to you and the Chief, of whom I have always been a huge fan, it's Hamilton and it ain't even that close.  Billy might be one of the best defensive CF's to ever play the game.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:50 PM)McC Wrote: With all due respect to you and the Chief, of whom I have always been a huge fan, it's Hamilton and it ain't even that close.  Billy might be one of the best defensive CF's to ever play the game.

Hamilton is no longer a Red.

Apparently he signed with one of the New York teams because when I googled him it said he was on Broadway.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see us trade one of the OF for more pitching, but I also won't mind if we keep all 4. We have 2 lefties (Winker, Shebler) and 2 righties (Kemp, Puig). I say we use a platoon system and play them all. Puig and shebler would both be able to play CF.

Also, we have no no depth behind them and the #4 Outfielder usually ends up playing a good bit due to injury. Ervin's numbers with the Reds last year were a fluke. He never hit in the minors.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd like to see us trade one of the OF for more pitching, but I also won't mind if we keep all 4.  We have 2 lefties (Winker, Shebler) and 2 righties (Kemp, Puig).  I say we use a platoon system and play them all.  Puig and shebler would both be able to play CF.

Also, we have no no depth behind them and the #4 Outfielder usually ends up playing a good bit due to injury.  Ervin's numbers with the Reds last year were a fluke.  He never hit in the minors.

Yep, we still need starting pitching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:50 PM)McC Wrote: With all due respect to you and the Chief, of whom I have always been a huge fan, it's Hamilton and it ain't even that close.  Billy might be one of the best defensive CF's to ever play the game.

No doubt,

Geronimo was pretty good but he had no where near the range of Hamilton. BH has to be very near the top, if not #1
Reply/Quote
Says here, https://www.bing.com/search?q=billy+hamilton&filters=ufn%3a%22billy+hamilton+baseball+born+1990%22+sid%3a%220ddb3430-7e06-ccc4-d6bc-4ec18600ed05%22&form=EDGTCT&qs=MB&cvid=541ac01015684d17aa89e98295a7e453&refig=0d4697c8a71045a0d0cf73999911ba4d&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AY3%21uAY7tbNNZGZ2yiGNjfOI8T91rzqM6eNf92bFDzGCSOgJp2cdzwZP3vElUHbZdx3XuRmJRVMyxmjYuVtrwO9B0BL63%21SnfOni8rJk4zJ9

Billy Hamilton plays for the KC Royals, formerly with the Reds from 2013-2018

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hamilton is no longer a Red.

Apparently he signed with one of the New York teams because when I googled him it said he was on Broadway.

I know that.  Neither is Geronimo.  But the OP said Geronimo was the best CF the Reds ever had and I disagreed.  Pretty irrelevant where he plays now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 05:39 PM)McC Wrote: I know that.  Neither is Geronimo.  But the OP said Geronimo was the best CF the Reds ever had and I disagreed.  Pretty irrelevant where he plays now.

WRONG....I said Geronimo was the best Reds CF that I ever saw. That is my opinion, which I'm entitled to. His many Gold Gloves back up that he was pretty good.  I forgot to add Tolan to the list of other good ones.  Geronimo just ran like a race horse taking such long strides that he got to balls without having to dive very often.  Plus he had that Clemente like arm. The real point here is that whoever plays center in 2019 better not be in there for just his bat.  You can't be weak on D in CF.  I agree with you on Hamilton that he was very good and this creates a need for good defense in CF.  I have faith that Bell is going to want solid D in CF. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 05:39 PM)McC Wrote: I know that.  Neither is Geronimo.  But the OP said Geronimo was the best CF the Reds ever had and I disagreed.  Pretty irrelevant where he plays now.

I missed that.

Ceasar had a better arm but Hamilton had more range.  This is an interesting debate, but one thing is for sure.  Ceasar Geronimo had the coolest name of any Reds player ever.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I missed that.

Ceasar had a better arm but Hamilton had more range.  This is an interesting debate, but one thing is for sure.  Ceasar Geronimo had the coolest name of any Reds player ever.

Very cool name.  I was a big fan.  He did glide and he did have a cannon of an arm.  But so does Billy.

I honestly think it's very possible Hamilton is the best defensive CF to ever play the game.

Reply/Quote
I see the Reds trading Puig to Cleveland for one of their pitchers. Cleveland has expressed interest in Puig when he was with the Dodgers.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:07 PM)kevin Wrote: Kemp in Left. Puig, Schebler, Winker in Right. Somebody has to move from Right to Center and play good defense. This isn't about batting stats. You can't be weak up the middle on defense. You can never be weak in Center. Center has to be fast, good glove, strong arm. Willie Mays is the goal on defense, you can live with a Micky Mantle. Geronimo was best on CF defense I saw with Reds. Pinson, Davis, Griffey Jr, Hamilton also good. Who plays Center is Huge. No point in trying to get pitching if you put a real slow iron glove in Center.

I look at Puig, Schebler and Winker and I see 3 players that need to play every day. Kemp plays every day in Left. One will be the odd man out. I see a trade coming in Reds future. There is also Ervin and Sin. Now you need bench depth, and injuries happen, players go into awful years of slumps. You need depth. Still, I see a trade down the road for the odd man out in the Reds Outfield.

The young Winker has shown he can be a table setter and get on base with hits in top of the order. He has an opportunity to show he can play Center and Hit, and if he does that, he could be the guy. They may want to go to Arizona and see who steps up this March and April, or they could trade for other needs now. Having too many good plays is not as bad as not having enough good players. The Reds are getting interesting this off season.

Even in Fantasy Baseball and season going and you need to add a free agent pitcher or infielder and you are forced to give up one of your over loaded outfielders. You don't want to, but you really need to make some urgent moves. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing Reds have all these outfielders, and I'm sure one will step up and play solid CF. Not as good as Hamilton on D, but solid. I'm thinking Winker. Possibly Ervin. If Winker can hit and play Center, that would be Huge. I have doubts about Schebler or Puig in Center, maybe a step too slow.

Bell will get a good D in CF and Reds are set at LF and RF with so much depth a possible trade down the road for Pitching, or Infield or a Top Minor Prospect. It should work out fine. Should be a good solid OF on Defense and at the plate, especially in Great American SMALL Park of some easy home runs.

You can live with Micky Mantle? Ha ha, I’d hope so! I can’t tell if you’re serious about Winker at center or not??? He’s slow, a bad fielder and has a weak arm. So, don’t bother trying him in Central. He’s miles closer to a DH than a Centerfielder. I don’t think that the Reds are crazy desperate to shop for a Centerfielder just because of our small ballpark. I think you’re right to be excited about the new season, a lot of us are.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 11:17 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You can live with Micky Mantle? Ha ha, I’d hope so! I can’t tell if you’re serious about Winker at center or not??? He’s slow, a bad fielder and has a weak arm. So, don’t bother trying him in Central. He’s miles closer to a DH than a Centerfielder. I don’t think that the Reds are crazy desperate to shop for a Centerfielder just because of our small ballpark. I think you’re right to be excited about the new season, a lot of us are.

I certainly was talking Mantle good on defense as opposed to Mays great on defense.  If Reds can find somebody good on D in CF, we could live with that.  

Since Reds have sux'd so bad, I have not wasted 6 months a year on watching them on TV.  Every time I turned them on, they were losing, thank heaven for the remote channel changer.  So I have seen little of young Winker.  If it is true that he stinks in the OF, I don't see much future in him no matter if he can hit or not.  Sparky was right to trade Alex Johnson and others and not accept poor defense no matter how well they can hit.  If Winker stinks on D as you say, he needs to be trade bait.  I thought Price was platooning Hamilton with Winker, but then again I was no Price fan and has been fired.  I'm pretty sure Bell will want good fielders like Sparky. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 12:55 AM)kevin Wrote: I certainly was talking Mantle good on defense as opposed to Mays great on defense.  If Reds can find somebody good on D in CF, we could live with that.  

Since Reds have sux'd so bad, I have not wasted 6 months a year on watching them on TV.  Every time I turned them on, they were losing, thank heaven for the remote channel changer.  So I have seen little of young Winker.  If it is true that he stinks in the OF, I don't see much future in him no matter if he can hit or not.  Sparky was right to trade Alex Johnson and others and not accept poor defense no matter how well they can hit.  If Winker stinks on D as you say, he needs to be trade bait.  I thought Price was platooning Hamilton with Winker, but then again I was no Price fan and has been fired.  I'm pretty sure Bell will want good fielders like Sparky. 

Winker is not good out there. You’re probably thinking of Schebler, as he plays some Centerfield. He’s adequate out there in small ballparks, he’s probably below average in the bigger parks. The team should have a shot at .500 as currently constructed. It would be nice to at least be competitive again!!!
Reply/Quote
Wasn’t Eric Davis a centerfielder that won 3 Gold Gloves while he was a Red? Not sure I could put Hamilton above him.
Reply/Quote
I want a solid defender in CF, BUT not one who is forced to hit in the pitcher's spot because he has no clue what to do with a bat in his hand. 
I was very happy when they let Hamilton go. He could never hit his weight from 1st grade on up.
I just hope they don't sacrifice a bat just to have someone who can field in one of the smallest outfields in the league. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reds signed Puig to 1 year deal for $9.7M
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 05:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wasn’t Eric Davis a centerfielder that won 3 Gold Gloves while he was a Red? Not sure I could put Hamilton above him.

Why am I remembering ED spending a lot of time in LF?

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 06:59 PM)McC Wrote: Why am I remembering ED spending a lot of time in LF?

That’s what I’m struggling to remember. Wikipedia says he was a CF, but hard to trust them 100%. I was a kid when he played for the Reds, so I was hoping somebody here might have a better memory of that time. I know Parker was in RF most of that time.
Reply/Quote