Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September 1st to 15th Game Thread
Reds find themselves needing a Win tonight with Gray on the mound or they lose another series to Cardinals and maybe get swept. A win gives Reds chance to win this series.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
No reason in the world to believe the Reds are gonna turn this thing around and go on a run. They are far too undisciplined to play winning baseball on a consistent basis and overcome the stupidity of their idiot manager.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It's all over now, boys and girls. Sonny was the last thing you could count on. It's all gonna go the rest of the way to shit now. ***** losers. Bye bye 2020.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Down six in the first and going up against a left handed junk baller with five different curve balls. Gut check time. The verdict is in--the Reds have none.

Anybody wanna take bets on how many the Varsity scores in this game? 15? 20? 25? What's the record?

I don't think they've gotten Goldschmidt out all year.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 05:09 PM)McC Wrote: No reason in the world to believe the Reds are gonna turn this thing around and go on a run.  They are far too undisciplined to play winning baseball on a consistent basis and overcome the stupidity of their idiot manager.

They won't, they can't

I'm gonna go you one better, it's the varsity vs. pee wee.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 08:20 PM)McC Wrote: Down six in the first and going up against a left handed junk baller with five different curve balls.  Gut check time.  The verdict is in--the Reds have none.

Anybody wanna take bets on how many the Varsity scores in this game?  15?  20?  25?  What's the record?

I don't think they've gotten Goldschmidt out all year.

I'm gonna say varsity - 14 pee wee - 2
Reply/Quote
Just turned the game on and Reds down 8-0 in 2nd. Early Knock Out,

That about does it on short season play-offs. The Cubs and Cardinals are just better than the Reds in 2020. The Reds have won against Brewers, but 3rd place play-offs are going to East and West with Central left out.

The problem for Reds in 2020 start with no hitting as in 2019. Just awful batting averages. Too many games of no runs. Then there is a bullpen that blew too many games Reds should have won. Then there is starting pitching which has been Bauer and Gray pitching great but nobody else with Castillo a 2020 flop. Bauer and Gray have came crashing back to earth and now all the starters are struggling,

The Cubs got way out in front in Central. Then the Cardinals finally came back from long Covid missed weeks to show they may be better than the Cubs.

3rd place play-offs look to be going to West for sure and maybe East. The Brewers or Reds just will not win enough games.

So the play-offs will be 3 teams from NL West for sure. 3 teams from NL East probably. 2 teams from NL Central and Cubs & Cardinals are just better in 2020.

I think September is going to be Reds taking a good look at who might be on this team in 2021.

Votto had a good career as a Red. A Reds Hall of Fame Player. Not a MLB Hall of Fame Player. He won't have the Stats. A Reds Hall of Fame player. ....but when does his contract end. Reds need to free up the money they pay Votto. When do they finally get out of this contract holding the team down ?

I look at Tampa and they make all the right moves as a small market team to be a tough team in AL East. If Cincinnati was in AL East they would never win a game. One thing Tampa does not do is make Ken Griffey Jr or Joey Votto contracts that run years taking most of team payroll. I don't know how Tampa has years they beat Big Money Yankees & Red Sox, but they are the Little Train That Could. Whatever small market Tampa does, Cincinnati needs to copy. I do know Tampa almost never makes the big long run contracts that Reds have got sucked into over the last 20 years. The Votto Contract has been holding the Reds back for years. There was a period after the Griffey Contract and before the Votto Contract that the Reds had play-off ball teams. Big Super Star contracts cement Reds into Last Place, be it Griffey Jr or Votto.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Embarrassing. Eleven runs and fifteen hits given up thru five innings.
Reply/Quote
The Reds have Votto as highest paid Red thru 2024. They need to dump his salary before 2025. Not Trade him and still pay him as I've seen some suggest. NO. They need to dump his payroll. 25 Mil for Votto is going to force Reds to be weak at too many other positions. The trick is dumping him, but THAT is what GM's get paid to do. Trade him for a bath towel, but trade him before 2021.

It's time to start thinking 2021. Votto is in the way due to his Reds highest salary next 4 years.

The Reds future is Garcia at SS and Stephenson at Catcher. Reds have others under contract. Bauer probably leaving unsigned. Votto has to Go.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:31 PM)kevin Wrote: The Reds have Votto as highest paid Red thru 2024.  They need to dump his salary before 2025.   Not Trade him and still pay him as I've seen some suggest.  NO.  They need to dump his payroll.  25 Mil for Votto is going to force Reds to be weak at too many other positions.  The trick is dumping him, but THAT is what GM's get paid to do.  Trade him for a bath towel, but trade him before 2021.

It's time to start thinking 2021.  Votto is in the way due to his Reds highest salary next 4 years.  

The Reds future is Garcia at SS and Stephenson at Catcher.  Reds have others under contract.  Bauer probably leaving unsigned.  Votto has to Go.

The Reds have to somehow rid themselves of Votto, and Bell.
Reply/Quote
What an absolute joke this once proud franchise has become. On their way to 7 losing seasons in a row.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 02:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What an absolute joke this once proud franchise has become. On their way to 7 losing seasons in a row.

16 runs, 23 hits ! just wow
Reply/Quote
The only scoreless innings were put in by the new guy and the DH.

But you know what? I still don’t ***** care, until they are mathematically eliminated, . . . Go Reds! And then after that, Go Reds!
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Reds have to somehow rid themselves of Votto, and Bell.

More Votto than Bell.   Votto is 25 million a year 2021, 2022, 2023 and 7 million 2024.   No Reds is close to that.  Reds could field a better team with this money.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I may stand corrected but is it true the Reds have had 3 winning seasons over the last 20 years? 3? Shocked

Bell is gone.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Made it through the first inning without giving up a run. When's the last time that happened?

Ah, but this egregious error quickly corrected in the second. 1-0 Varsity.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I may stand corrected but is it true the Reds have had 3 winning seasons over the last 20 years? 3? Shocked

Bell is gone.

Was it even that many? All I remember is 2013.

Reply/Quote
Votto walks it off!!! Great win!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I may stand corrected but is it true the Reds have had 3 winning seasons over the last 20 years?  3?   Shocked

Bell is gone.

It's because Cincinnati never has made the switch to a small market team as salaries climbed from 1994 strike on.  

The winning seasons came after the Griffey Jr contract ended and before Reds signed Votto to a contract they could not afford for almost 10 years.  In between these 2 contracts, Reds freed up money to put together some play-off years.   On signing Votto, Reds had to get rid of Cueto and all pitchers, Chapman included, and key hitters. 

I'm not sure Cincinnati will ever get wise to how Tampa does it.  Reds need to GM like Money Ball movie.  You take Votto's name and throw it on the Trade Board.  Coaches that don't like it can leave.  No more Griffey or Votto contracts taking up so much team payroll.   When players reach point they demand Yankees type contracts, let them go, that is what Tampa does as masters of small market ball over years.   

1994 changed baseball, and Reds need to wise up.  Signing a huge long term contract only cements Reds in last place.  If Votto is a Red to 2025, then Reds will be a losing team until 2025. His name needs on the Trade Board. Reds may have to eat some of his contract, but get a team to pay most of it. ...The problem is Votto has power to deny trade. Just a stupid legal contract on Reds part....If they can trade Votto, NEVER make another contract like this. Reds are too small market to have Super Star Contracts.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Over the next two weeks or so the Reds have 8 games vs. the Pirates. If they are to have any chance at doing anything they must put their Pirate demons from the last couple seasons behind them and beat this not very good team.

They have to win 6 and really even 7. The rest of their games are against decent to good teams. It's really their only chance.
Reply/Quote