Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September 1st to 15th Game Thread
(09-09-2020, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Reds 6 games underb .500 with only 18 games left.

I have said all along that a team under .500 had a chance of making the playoffs in the NL.  A run of 12-6 would get the Reds to .500.  Winning 12 of 18 is not a ridiculous number, but the problem is the Reds have done nothing to make ne think they can turn it around.  They just look like a bad team.

The starting pitching looked great at the start, but even that has gone dwonhill.

I wassoi impressed with all the moves the team mad ethis offseason, but the guys we paid all that money look like crap.

The starting pitching has gone downhill, imo, from two things.  The first is the lack of hitting.  It wears pitchers down thinking they have to be perfect because they know run support will probably not be there.

The second is what looks for all the world like the team pitching philosophy, which is throwing way too many pitches.  Does any other pitching staff in baseball go to more full counts than the Reds? 

Whose idea is it that, when you get an 0-2 count on a hitter, the next three pitches have to be in the dirt or up out of the strike zone?  What is the deal with all the "throw away" pitches?  When a pitcher only has so many pitches in his arm over the course of a season or a career, just how many pitches does one want to waste?  It makes no sense.

As to the guys brought in, how is it that they forgot how to hit?  They knew how to hit for years but now, somehow, they can no longer do what they always could before.

There is something poisoning this team and I see no way that it is not coming from the top.  Fire Dumbbell today and just see if it turns around.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 02:39 PM)McC Wrote: The starting pitching has gone downhill, imo, from two things.  The first is the lack of hitting.  It wears pitchers down thinking they have to be perfect because they know run support will probably not be there.

The second is what looks for all the world like the team pitching philosophy, which is throwing way too many pitches.  Does any other pitching staff in baseball go to more full counts than the Reds? 

Whose idea is it that, when you get an 0-2 count on a hitter, the next three pitches have to be in the dirt or up out of the strike zone?  What is the deal with all the "throw away" pitches?  When a pitcher only has so many pitches in his arm over the course of a season or a career, just how many pitches does one want to waste?  It makes no sense.

As to the guys brought in, how is it that they forgot how to hit?  They knew how to hit for years but not, somehow, they can no longer do what they always could before.

There is something poisoning this team and I see no way that it is not coming from the top.  Fire Dumbbell today and just see if it turns around.

Agree, there is just zero chemistry on this team. I think Votto has to go as well, somehow, someway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Brewers won 19-0 today.
6 singles
8 doubles
5 home runs

The Reds got 5 hits yesterday against Alec Mills and lost a game 3-0 where they gave up only 4 hits.

And I had high hopes for this season.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Darvish pitching tonight. Can you say back to back shutouts.

Hey, let's play a little over/under.

Over/under for number of sliders in the dirt Castellano will swing at and miss tonight--6.

How many times Winker will over swing and go to one knee--4.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 09:18 PM)McC Wrote: Darvish pitching tonight.  Can you say back to back shutouts.

Over/under for number of sliders in the dirt Castellano will swing at and miss tonight--6.

Wrong already.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 08:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Brewers won 19-0 today.
6 singles
8 doubles
5 home runs

The Reds got 5 hits yesterday against Alec Mills and lost a game 3-0 where they gave up only 4 hits.

And I had high hopes for this season.

I did too

I remember back before regular spring training some baseball writer with a big old article on how the Reds were gonna run away with the division.

Baseball has stats on everything so I'd say it's out there somewhere ? But I'd love to know how many times the Reds have had more than one hit in an inning and compare that to the rest of the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 09:18 PM)McC Wrote: Darvish pitching tonight.  Can you say back to back shutouts.

How many times Votto will actually swing the bat ?

How many runs Lorenzen will give up before being pulled ?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 09:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: How many times Votto will actually swing the bat ?

How many runs Lorenzen will give up before being pulled ?

I'm happy to be wrong tonight.  So far, anyway.

Bauer back to his earlier self. 

Can someone please inform the Reds that it is within the rules to score after the second inning?

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 09:28 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Wrong already.

And happy to be.

Reply/Quote
BORING : Reds still playing and losing at 12:30 AM with 3 innings left. The Chiefs and Texans game over around 11. Reds may be over around 2 in morning. This is where baseball stinks. I remember when the average game was 2 hours or less. 3 hours was a long game. Today games that go 4 or 5 hours are common place and it is as exciting as watching paint dry. I like the 7 inning games of 2020. MLB should make them all 7 innings in the future. Nobody wants to watch baseball games that go 4 or 5 hours.

So I watched the Chiefs and that went fast compared to Reds I've turned off as they still flub around at 12:30 with a good hour or more into around 2 AM. Baseball is boring itself to death with these long games. Oh to have the 2 to 3 hour game era back. I'm for 7 inning games if it gets these snoozers over with.

So Reds are losing series to Cubs. I do see they are looking at players for next season like a normal losing Reds September. Stephenson at catcher and Garcia at shortstop are BIG in Reds plans. Take a look at different people, get ready for spring training in 5 months. Stick a fork in Reds 2020, they are done. Have the FAT LADY sing from her house and shown on Fox Ohio in Covid season. OR just put a Cut Out of The Fat Lady opera singer in Viking helmet in seats behind home plate or in front of the truck in outfield they have never gave away in all the years they've did that cheap promotion. Sure, stick the Fat Lady Cut Out in front of truck they never give away. get some use out of it. The Truck Promotion is pointless. If a Red hits this sign someone wins a truck. To my knowledge in the decades Toyota or Honda have been doing that promotion, no Red has ever hit the sign. They might as well say if a Red hits the ball over the Ohio River into Kentucky, this company will give away a truck. Just more boring daily nonsense at the old ball park to fill these 5 hour marathon games. My turning off boring game means I will miss hearing what The Old Cowboy is going to eat. That is REDS EXCITEMENT, hearing what THE OLD COWBOY is going to eat...Wake me when it's over, snore, snore.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 02:07 AM)kevin Wrote: BORING :   Reds still playing and losing at 12:30 AM with 3 innings left.  The Chiefs and Texans game over around 11.  Reds may be over around 2 in morning.   This is where baseball stinks.  I remember when the average game was 2 hours or less.  3 hours was a long game.  Today games that go 4 or 5 hours are common place and it is as exciting as watching paint dry.  I like the 7 inning games of 2020.  MLB should make them all 7 innings in the future.  Nobody wants to watch baseball games that go 4 or 5 hours.  

So I watched the Chiefs and that went fast compared to Reds I've turned off as they still flub around at 12:30 with a good hour or more into around 2 AM.   Baseball is boring itself to death with these long games.  Oh to have the 2 to 3 hour game era back. I'm for 7 inning games if it gets these snoozers over with.

So Reds are losing series to Cubs.  I do see they are looking at players for next season like a normal losing Reds September.  Stephenson at catcher and Garcia at shortstop are BIG in Reds plans.   Take a look at different people, get ready for spring training in 5 months.  Stick a fork in Reds 2020, they are done.  Have the FAT LADY sing from her house and shown on Fox Ohio in Covid season.  OR just put a Cut Out of The Fat Lady opera singer in Viking helmet in seats behind home plate or in front of the truck in outfield they have never gave away in all the years they've did that cheap promotion.  Sure, stick the Fat Lady Cut Out in front of truck they never give away. get some use out of it.  The Truck Promotion is pointless.  If a Red hits this sign someone wins a truck. To my knowledge in the decades Toyota or Honda have been doing that promotion, no Red has ever hit the sign.  They might as well say if a Red hits the ball over the Ohio River into Kentucky, this company will give away a truck.  Just more boring daily nonsense at the old ball park to fill these 5 hour marathon games.  My turning off boring game means I will miss hearing what The Old Cowboy is going to eat. That is REDS EXCITEMENT, hearing what THE OLD COWBOY is going to eat...Wake me when it's over, snore, snore.

Sadly Kevin we're watching the demise of baseball. They've successfully devolved this once great game into a glorified home run derby. Every passing season they somehow manage to make it a little more boring. I'm afraid history will look at the covid season as the final straw that broke baseball's back.
Reply/Quote
Even if the Bengals struggle some this season, I will still be more disappointed with the Reds this year. This squad appears lackadaisical and with no fire. The lack of hitting is sickening. However, it would not surprise me if the Reds keep Bell another year given the shorten season. If I were the Ownership, after spending millions, I would be livid. Votto is like an anchor that has attached to seaweed 100's of feet below sea level. I do not want to blame any particular person at this point however it is an organizational effort.

I guess the Reds could "click" and go on an extensive winning streak and make WC but I don't see it.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Even if the Bengals struggle some this season, I will still be more disappointed with the Reds this year.  This squad appears lackadaisical and with no fire. The lack of hitting is sickening. However, it would not surprise me if the Reds keep Bell another year given the shorten season.  If I were the Ownership, after spending millions, I would be livid.  Votto is like an anchor that has attached to seaweed 100's of feet below sea level.   I do not want to blame any particular person at this point however it is an organizational effort.  

I guess the Reds could "click" and go on an extensive winning streak and make WC but I don't see it.

There's 13 games left. Just to make .500 they have to win 9 of em. I'll be shocked if that happens.
Reply/Quote
Man.

This team is hard to watch.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
I see Reds won Sunday. I was watching Bengals and NFL.

So Reds now play Pirates with a chance to get near .500 before Bengals play Browns Thursday.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
That's only the second time they scored double digits all season long.

Gray now out . . . to be replaced in the rotation by Lorenzen.

At least he's out of the pen.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Does Barnhart have incriminating pictures of Bell? How else can a guy who is such a lousy hitter keep getting sent out there game after game when the other catchers are pretty close to him defensively and so clearly better at the plate? Blows my mind.

Reply/Quote
Is Bauer wearing Bengal shoes?

Reply/Quote
How's that saying go from back in the day? Oh yeah, now I remember--Disco Sucks!

Reply/Quote
Reds third double header sweep this year. Akiyama is really starting to settle into this league and the lead off spot. They have needed a lead off hitter all season.

With games still in progress . . . The Reds are 1 game out of the last playoff spot.

Now only if they can survive Lorenzen starting tomorrow.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote