Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September Games Thread
CES IN BIG MAC LAND!!!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 10:19 PM)cinci4life Wrote: CES IN BIG MAC LAND!!!!!

Only 418ft. How the hell is that only 418ft? I call bs on that.
Reply/Quote
Cubs losing 3-0 now.
Reply/Quote
Still 4-3 Marlins going to the bottom of 9. Pittsburgh has the top of their order due up.
Reply/Quote
Marlins freakin win.
Reply/Quote
Freaking Brewers

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 11:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Freaking Brewers

2nd 3-0 lead taken to the 8th tonight that gets blown. Unreal.
Reply/Quote
Officially a winning season!!!
Reply/Quote
Arizona down 2-0 in the 6th. Brewers/Cubs tied at 3 going to bottom 10.
Reply/Quote
Glad to see Elly finishing out the season strong. A triple, a walk, and a couple brilliant defensive plays.

Not bad for a “bust.”

:ninja:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Cubs lose!!!! Reds tied with them but own the tiebreaker.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 12:15 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Cubs lose!!!! Reds tied with them but own the tiebreaker.

[Image: thsrtjhjtsj.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 12:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: thsrtjhjtsj.jpg]

Here's what needs to happen for the Reds to make the playoffs:

Scenario 1:
Arizona Diamondbacks get swept in 3 games (starting tonight) in which they are playing the Houston Astros.
Reds complete the sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals.
That would put both teams at 84-78, and the Reds hold the tie breaker over the Diamondbacks.
In this scenario, it does not matter what the Cubs do because, even if they win out, we'd own the tiebreaker over them.

Scenario 2:
The Miami Marlins lose the final 2 games against the Pirates. 
Whenever the game against the Mets is scheduled, they must lose that game as well, which they were leading 2-1 heading into the bottom of the 9th.
Reds complete the sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals.

That would put the Reds at 84-78, and the Marlins at 83-79. If the Marlins win even one of those 3 remaining games, they would have 84 wins, our maximum total possible, and own the tiebreaker between us.
In this scenario, it also does not matter what the Cubs do because, even if they win out, we'd own the tiebreaker over them.

I'd say scenario #1 is more likely. The Astros are a good team who are probably going to the playoffs. They are going to be playing hard because they have the Mariners nipping at their heels for that final wildcard spot, so they have no interest in losing any more games.

The Pirates and 3 final outs against the Mets...eh, I wouldn't rely on them if I had the choice haha.
Reply/Quote
Field the ball, Altuve, you cheater!

Reply/Quote
Phew, pulled it out. Gross as hell feeling cheering for the Astros, but the Reds are still alive.

Reply/Quote
So Reds have 82 wins, and will have a record over .500 for 2023. That is better than anybody expected of this team after lousy 2022 season. The Reds were around 1st place and playing good ball on Memorial Day and 4th of July, which to me is something. Plus Reds filled their home stadium many times, so attendance which has been awful for 3 years in Cincinnati, Reds front office finally got some money coming in.

I do not agree with The Moneyball Movie that you have to win The World Series or else it's a bad season. Only one team will win the World Series. Lets look at the Money. Reds front office filled the stadium and first good attendance in years, so Reds made Money for a change. Plus Reds gave fans an exciting team over Memorial Day and 4th of July. Fans loved this team

2 games left, but I think Marlins and Diamondbacks ahead of Reds by 2 games, and Braves, Brewers, Dodgers, Phillies are in. Reds had too many injuries after the All-Star Game. They were actually better before Votto came back, the Reds were hottest back around May and June as they beat the Red Sox and Dodgers and strung a bunch of wins together. Then around All-Star Game, a ton of injuries, Pitching, but also India out a long time hurt.

The Viking Helmet ended up a Fun thing for players and fans. As a Reds Fan, I enjoyed watching Reds this season. I think I enjoyed them more when Votto out. This was a young team having fun and putting up wins back in May into June. They did start to wear the bullpen out. There was a point there when Diaz as Closer and Sims as Set Up were dominating, but in todays game starters don't eat enough innings, and the bullpen gets over worked early in the season. Back in May, Sims and Diaz looked like The Nasty Boys.

We got to see new players such as De La Cruz, Abbott, Friedl, Fraley, McClain, Steer. It's a fun young team that I would like to see many back in 2024. Reds will no longer have to pay Moose in 2024, or Votto. If Votto comes back, he comes back on the cheap in 2024, but I would like to see young players at First Base and DH. Myself, I really don't want Votto back for one last season at cheaper pay in 2024. Votto had his days and his pay, now it is time for these new young players to get playing time. I thought the team chemistry was better and more fun when Votto was out the first 3 months.

Reds will finish with a winning record. Play-Offs look doubtful, but I say it was a good season. Reds won more games, put more fans in the stands, and were playing great over Summer Holidays. Reds now get out from under Moose and Votto contracts eating so much payroll. I would say to Reds, do not rush out and spend that money on old free agents. Reds have good young players and more coming up from the farm system, so go with the good young players in 2024. Don't be in any hurry to spend the Moose and Votto money. In fact, I would hope the Reds never make high paid contracts ever again as they did to Moose and Votto, it holds the team back financially for years, like an anchor in the mud. Tampa, Baltimore, Cleveland last few years have shown you can win with a good youth movement up from the farm system. Reds are not The Yankees, they can make giant contracts, but they can bring up good young players as Rays and Orioles did. Then Reds front office will make MONEY and Reds will be able to stay in Cincinnati where they belong for decades to come.

Fans would disagree, but after years of Reds losing money, and considering moving out of Cincinnati, I say take the Moose and Votto money now not paid out, and put those mega millions in the bank to collect interest. Try to have a few years of making money. Stay away from high priced free agents and go with Youth. The farm system should be the future and backbone of small market Cincinnati, not the high priced free agent market for big cities New York and LA. Plus, I was really enjoying the young players in the Viking Helmet back in May and June.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 05:31 AM)kevin Wrote: They were actually better before Votto came back

I think I enjoyed them more when Votto out.

Reds will no longer have to pay Moose in 2024, or Votto.  If Votto comes back, he comes back on the cheap in 2024, but I would like to see young players at First Base and DH.  Myself, I really don't want Votto back for one last season at cheaper pay in 2024.  Votto had his days and his pay, now it is time for these new young players to get playing time. I thought the team chemistry was better and more fun when Votto was out the first 3 months.

Reds now get out from under Moose and Votto contracts eating so much payroll. In fact, I would hope the Reds never make high paid contracts ever again as they did to Moose and Votto, it holds the team back financially for years, like an anchor in the mud.

We get it Kevin, Votto banged your mom and never ever called her again.

He's a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest Reds of all time regardless of if you hate him or not.

Reply/Quote
Does MLB still do a one game playoff when records are tied or do they do tie breakers now?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 04:57 PM)basballguy Wrote: Does MLB still do a one game playoff when records are tied or do they do tie breakers now?

No which is why you hear the announcers keep mentioning who has tiebreakers over who.
Reply/Quote
Phillips just walked the first 3 batters on 12 pitches.
Reply/Quote