Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Showing Interest in David Price
I don't know how I feel about this. His ERA has crept up over the last 3 years but he is a savvy vet with playoff experience. He has some minor elbow & wrist issues that maybe hinder his performance. The dude is making 34 mil per...yikes. I would rather have Madbum. Interesting if he comes at the right "price." Tongue

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It seems that Boston is willing to eat maybe half of his salary. Price at 15 mil per may work. I just don't like his numbers over the last 3 years and he has pitched toward contact more than I would like, especially at GABP.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'd be more interested in keeping Jose Iglesias over Freddy Galvis and forget an old Price on the back end of his career, but that's just me..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Roark just got $12 million a year on a very short contract (2 yr), and he is the same age as Price.

I don't know anything bout Price's injury issues but I would MUCH rather have him at $15 mil.
Reply/Quote
He's allegedly good friends with Sonny Gray and Derek Johnson due to the Vanderbilt connection. It might be a welcome change from Boston. I'm just not sure about his recent injuries and performance. I'd still prefer him to Bumgarner. Bumgarner is going to get a shitload of money due to being the perceived best option left on the starter market. He gives up a lot of home runs and would get smoked in GABP. His stats also show that he falls off quite a bit outside of AT&T park, which is known for being highly pitcher-friendly.

Keuchel is my guy in terms of available pitchers, but Price seems like a player that a team like the Reds could gamble on if Boston eats some of his contract. He's be a solid 4th or 5th starter if healthy.
Reply/Quote
They'd have to eat a huge portion of his contract, but I'd be open to it. He could see a Sonny Gray level recovery with his college coach.
Reply/Quote
No thanks on Price. He's been lit up a lot lately. I actually like our rotation the way it is now. We just need to work on the bullpen.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
He's definitely a quality pitcher. However, whatever injuries seem to have taken a toll on him, and it looks like he's falling off the proverbial "cliff". I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds invest in a marquis pitcher, but please, get someone a little younger who hasn't been "used up" already.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know anything bout Price's injury issues but I would MUCH rather have him at $15 mil.

I did some research.  Here is the deal.

First of all Price does not have a serious injury problem and has not "fallen off the cliff".  He was still very good in 2018 (30 starts, 16 wins, 3.58 ERA, 1.14 WHIP in regular season and a 1.98 ERA in 2 World Series wins).  He started off last year very good (7-2, 3.16 ERA in first 17 starts) but then developed a cyst in his wrist.  Since there was no structural damage or injury he tried to pitch through the pain.  He finished last year with a 4.28 ERA.  He had surgery to remove the cyst and since there was no real injury a full recovery is expected.

Price just turned 34 in August and is under contract for three more years.  He is due to make $32 million per year, and it is believed the Sox would eat $12 million a year.  So that means he would still cost us $20 million a year.

We would have to trade a player to get him, but it would not have to be anyone too good.  The Sox are mainly looking to get out of the contract.
Reply/Quote