Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Starting Pitching May Stink Again
You take Bauer and Disco out of here, and those are huge losses.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They're 7-19 in ST which by itself isn't the only indicator, but having Sonny Gray on the shelf isn't helping either. It's gonna be a long season..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: They're 7-19 in ST which by itself isn't the only indicator, but having Sonny Gray on the shelf isn't helping either. It's gonna be a long season..

I was really hopeful that when Bauer left they were going to tell us that Nick Lodolo or Hunter Greene was ready to go and that would have made the loss a little easier to take.

However, the rotation we are running out there... just horrible...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:33 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was really hopeful that when Bauer left they were going to tell us that Nick Lodolo or Hunter Greene was ready to go and that would have made the loss a little easier to take.

However, the rotation we are running out there... just horrible...

To top it off there are zero guarantees with either Greene nor Lodolo and if they do pan out we'll likely lose Castillo and anyone else who can pitch to free agency or a dumb trade somewhere..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:38 AM)grampahol Wrote: To top it off there are zero guarantees with either Greene nor Lodolo and if they do pan out we'll likely lose Castillo and anyone else who can pitch to free agency or a dumb trade somewhere..

If Greene and Lodolo pan out, I'd be over the moon.  Our next half-decade is highly dependent on those two players fulfilling promise.  If they don't, we'll have to hope to get lucky finding guys like Castillo and Gray in other organizations, and that's not overly likely IMO.  

I hate the idea of moving Castillo, but with the way things are going, you almost have to in the next year or so.  The ownership is acting like they are in a financial hole that they won't dig out of for the next 2 seasons, at least.  We are looking at another crap offseason like the one we just endured after this season, per Bob and Phil.  

The only way we bolster the lackluster farm system or the big league roster is by moving high-value assets.  There is no higher value asset than a pitcher with A plus stuff who's still young and has a very affordable contract.  If things go south quick this year, I'm putting Castillo on the block and I'm asking for a king's ransom, plus another GM's arm and maybe a leg, too.  He's a player that you should be able to get a return on that would change your organization in the very near future.  
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:38 AM)grampahol Wrote: To top it off there are zero guarantees with either Greene nor Lodolo and if they do pan out we'll likely lose Castillo and anyone else who can pitch to free agency or a dumb trade somewhere..

(04-03-2021, 11:55 AM)samhain Wrote: If Greene and Lodolo pan out, I'd be over the moon.  Our next half-decade is highly dependent on those two players fulfilling promise.  If they don't, we'll have to hope to get lucky finding guys like Castillo and Gray in other organizations, and that's not overly likely IMO.  

I hate the idea of moving Castillo, but with the way things are going, you almost have to in the next year or so.  The ownership is acting like they are in a financial hole that they won't dig out of for the next 2 seasons, at least.  We are looking at another crap offseason like the one we just endured after this season, per Bob and Phil.  

The only way we bolster the lackluster farm system or the big league roster is by moving high-value assets.  There is no higher value asset than a pitcher with A plus stuff who's still young and has a very affordable contract.  If things go south quick this year, I'm putting Castillo on the block and I'm asking for a king's ransom, plus another GM's arm and maybe a leg, too.  He's a player that you should be able to get a return on that would change your organization in the very near future.  

I'm curious, do either of you think that we will see a salary cap in baseball anytime in the next 10 to 15 years?

I feel like at some point it almost has to happen as the salaries are getting so crazy. 

I'm sure the players committee will argue that it means less money for players, but even in FB and the NBA, you still see mega-contracts for star players.

Reply/Quote
Yup..the pitching and hitting once again has been terrible.. Just ask anyone in Pittsburgh! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: Yup..the pitching and hitting once again has been terrible.. Just ask anyone in Pittsburgh! Hilarious

Truth, this thread did not age well to start the season but to be fair, I don't think anyone expected Wade Miley or Hoffman or De Leon to have that type of outing to start the season.

Really shows that the Reds may have found something in their pitching coach.

The other thing that is weird is that two of the best pitchers on the Garrett and Castillo have had the two worst outings on the team. Castillo did certainly redeem himself on Weds.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Truth, this thread did not age well to start the season but to be fair, I don't think anyone expected Wade Miley or Hoffman or De Leon to have that type of outing to start the season.

Really shows that the Reds may have found something in their pitching coach.

The other thing that is weird is that two of the best pitchers on the Garrett and Castillo have had the two worst outings on the team. Castillo did certainly redeem himself on Weds.

Kind of the beauty of a long season.. Anyone can have a lousy game, but one game does not a season make. For all we know Suarez may get really hot and nobody will care if he's a butterfingers at short.. If Votto gets really hot like he was before Covid and everyone else gets hot then look out! I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love to see Votto have a 2010ish MVP season at his age..I remember Foster taking a lot of grief over not sliding, but then he hit 50 HRs.. Nobody cared if he slid then..

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:05 PM)grampahol Wrote: Kind of the beauty of a long season.. Anyone can have a lousy game, but one game does not a season make. For all we know Suarez may get really hot and nobody will care if he's a butterfingers at short.. If Votto gets really hot like he was before Covid and everyone else gets hot then look out! I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love to see Votto have a 2010ish MVP season at his age..I remember Foster taking a lot of grief over not sliding, but then he hit 50 HRs.. Nobody cared if he slid then..

I just want to see them have a good competitive season.

Best part is, with the new Covid rules, got a pod of tickets for the game April 21st against the D-Backs. 

I missed going to games last year, and still nothing is better then a night a the park.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I just want to see them have a good competitive season.

Best part is, with the new Covid rules, got a pod of tickets for the game April 21st against the D-Backs. 

I missed going to games last year, and still nothing is better then a night a the park.

Awesome, man. Tells us your seats and maybe I'll be able to pick you out up here in Alaska when I watch the game.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:40 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Awesome, man. Tells us your seats and maybe I'll be able to pick you out up here in Alaska when I watch the game.

Section 104, so in the lower right field area. 

It says Pod O... not sure if that means row O or what?

Reply/Quote
Cool! I'll keep an eye out for you.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I just want to see them have a good competitive season.

That's me as well. It sucks when they're out of it in mid May.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 11:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's me as well. It sucks when they're out of it in mid May.

Yes it does.

Even if they don't win it all, it is exciting when it is August and they are fighting for a playoff spot and there is a buzz around the team.

Plus, if they compete this year with Hunter Greene and Lodolo on the horizon, it actually gives them a window to be good for awhile.

Reply/Quote
Scoreboard watching was so exciting down the stretch last year. I really missed that.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 12:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Scoreboard watching was so exciting down the stretch last year. I really missed that.

No doubt.

Of course, I wouldn't be too upset if they stay super hot and clinch the division so there is no need to scoreboard watch.  Cool

Reply/Quote