Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Talking Going After A Solid #1 Starting Pitcher
Reds.com says even with addition of Roark and Wood, they are going after a pitcher like Keuchel. The new Reds slogan is WIN NOW, and I like it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Good.
Reply/Quote
They have to if they want any chance ! Their staff has been nothing but 3's to 5's the last three years and you can't stay competitive for a whole season like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 07:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They have to if they want any chance ! Their staff has been nothing but 3's to 5's the last three years and you can't stay competitive for a whole season like that.

Yep, if they would have had a couple of legit starters, the bullpen wouldn't have been worn out by the 4th of July.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 07:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, if they would have had a couple of legit starters, the bullpen wouldn't have been worn out by the 4th of July.

Yep,

You've got to have that guy that can stop those 2 and 3 game skids. You've got to have that guy that can go 7 or 8 innings when the bullpen has been overworked. And you really need the #2 fifteen game winner that can do basically the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 08:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

You've got to have that guy that can stop those 2 and 3 game skids. You've got to have that guy that can go 7 or 8 innings when the bullpen has been overworked. And you really need the #2 fifteen game winner that can do basically the same thing.

Fifteen wins is a #1 starter for most teams. Only 12 teams had a pitcher with at least 15 wins last year.

Dominate "number one" starters are rare.  I don't think we will get one.  There are 30 MLB teams and last year and only 27 pitchers threw at least 180 innings with an ERA less than four. Tanner Roark's 180.1 innnings pitched was 31st in the league.
Reply/Quote
I think that all Reds fans pretty much agree with acquiring a number 1, the big question is by what method. Do you overpay on a longer contract through free agency to save your prospects? Do you trade a top prospect, a lesser prospect and a corner OFer to get an ace that’s a bit cheaper and not signed for as long? I think that the Reds will go for a lesser pitcher with a trade to someone like the Yankees and I think that will fall short of what they need to do.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 09:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I think that all Reds fans pretty much agree with acquiring a number 1, the big question is by what method. Do you overpay on a longer contract through free agency to save your prospects? Do you trade a top prospect, a lesser prospect and a corner OFer to get an ace that’s a bit cheaper and not signed for as long? I think that the Reds will go for a lesser pitcher with a trade to someone like the Yankees and I think that will fall short of what they need to do.

Most likely,

They'll go after Gray or somebody along those lines, which will probably help but it's just not enough.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 09:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Most likely,

They'll go after Gray or somebody along those lines, which will probably help but it's just not enough.

I’d offer something like Trammell, Reed and Stephenson for Kluber. If they give up prospects, I’d rather see them lose an OFer. I’m guessing that you’re right about them ending up with Gray. I really hope that they don’t sign a free agent to an expensive, 6 year deal. Homer should equal lesson learned.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 10:20 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’d offer something like Trammell, Reed and Stephenson for Kluber. If they give up prospects, I’d rather see them lose an OFer. I’m guessing that you’re right about them ending up with Gray. I really hope that they don’t sign a free agent to an expensive, 6 year deal. Homer should equal lesson learned.

I'd like to see them end up with Kluber via trade instead of Gray. I just don't think Gray is enough to make much difference.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 10:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd like to see them end up with Kluber via trade instead of Gray. I just don't think Gray is enough to make much difference.

Kluber is who I want, if they could land him someway without giving up Senzel, Winker or India. A Gray would give them an outside shot at a wildcard and a Kluber gives them a shot at winning the division.
Reply/Quote
Read an interesting article on ESPN today, just a writers opinion. He thinks Machado is a lock for the Yankees and Harper really wants to play there. Even though they are the Yankees, they would have to clear some payroll. Would this make a Sonny Gray trade easier?

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:33 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Read an interesting article on ESPN today, just a writers opinion. He thinks Machado is a lock for the Yankees and Harper really wants to play there. Even though they are the Yankees, they would have to clear some payroll. Would this make a Sonny Gray trade easier?

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk

Gray can be had now for a teams 5-10 ranked prospect. He has pitched decent on the road but has stunk it up at home. He’s probably a number 3 pitcher that wouldn’t put the Reds over the top. He would bump out the number 5 and probably make the team slightly better. If the Reds could add a real ace instead, the team should be thinking playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer to see some kid come up from the minor leagues and just blow everyone away for 4-5 years than a 1-2 year rental that may or may not still have "IT".. We had a few we thought might have what it takes,  but unfortunately the organization just wasn't up to developing young talent.. Perhaps the new regime can . We'll have to wait and see  ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:40 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Kluber is who I want, if they could land him someway without giving up Senzel, Winker or India. A Gray would give them an outside shot at a wildcard and a Kluber gives them a shot at winning the division.

Kluber is the guy I want too. Like Fred said, there aren't many pitchers that can give you 200 innings anymore, Kluber is one of them, 5 straight seasons. On top of being reliable, he's actually really good too, unlike our old trusty Bronson Arroyo that could give you the innings, but was just an average pitcher.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 10:20 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’d offer something like Trammell, Reed and Stephenson for Kluber. If they give up prospects, I’d rather see them lose an OFer. I’m guessing that you’re right about them ending up with Gray. I really hope that they don’t sign a free agent to an expensive, 6 year deal. Homer should equal lesson learned.

That Homer Bailey deal was one of the worst ever. He was up there with Heyward and Pujols for the worst contracts in baseball right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 01:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Kluber is the guy I want too. Like Fred said, there aren't many pitchers that can give you 200 innings anymore, Kluber is one of them, 5 straight seasons. On top of being reliable, he's actually really good too, unlike our old trusty Bronson Arroyo that could give you the innings, but was just an average pitcher.

Yep. The Indians are gonna want more than we should give up though.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 05:08 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: That Homer Bailey deal was one of the worst ever. He was up there with Heyward and Pujols for the worst contracts in baseball right now.

I hated it at the time. There was a bunch of boneheaded moves made in recent years. They put too much value on those no hitters. It’s like how they put more value on hosting the all star game than getting more out of the trade pieces they had at the time. To heck with an exhibition game, make the team better. I scratched my head on signing that terrible hitting SS from Cuba too. They spent a lot on him, where’s he at? Why focus on a future .200 hitting, utility, defensive replacement guy?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 09:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I hated it at the time. There was a bunch of boneheaded moves made in recent years. They put too much value on those no hitters. It’s like how they put more value on hosting the all star game than getting more out of the trade pieces they had at the time. To heck with an exhibition game, make the team better. I scratched my head on signing that terrible hitting SS from Cuba too. They spent a lot on him, where’s he at? Why focus on a future .200 hitting, utility, defensive replacement guy?

Yup, he got paid for two no hitters in 6 months or whatever and basically an average career otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 09:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yep. The Indians are gonna want more than we should give up though.

I would not trade Green or Trammel, but I’d listen on just about everybody else. Would be nice to flip Kemp in a deal.
Reply/Quote