Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Trade Dan Straily to Marlins for 3 Minor League prospects
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reds-reportedly-trade-pitcher-dan-straily-to-marlins-for-three-players-153034295.html
In exchange, we got 2 minor league pitchers and a minor league outfielder.

The big thing in this trade is Luis Castillo. He was the Marlins’ #5 prospect (although, they do have one of the worst farm systems in the entire league) and has a fastball capable of hitting triple digits. He struggles with control but reports are that he recently developed a third pitch (change up) that has helped him increase his K/BB from 2015 to 2016. He projects to start in AAA for the year with a chance for a call up in the middle of the year if he performs well.

The other pitcher, Austin Brice, seems to be a similar prospect, but less developed. Lower ceiling fast ball and more control issues. If he gets it together, he could be a good bullpen arm.

The outfielder is young and far from the majors, but he has plus speed and more power than your typical speedster.

From the looks of this deal, it seems we got a steal. We picked up Straily for free last year, expecting very little, and ended up getting a solid middle of the order starting pitcher.

I’m not a master of sabermetrics, but some fans have noted his FIP (Field Independent Pitching) of 4.88 is significantly higher than his ERA of 3.76 would imply. This indicates that his ERA was lowered by good fielding and a lot of luck.

Considering Straily was a one year wonder after being a journeyman early in his career, as well as the sabermetrics indicating his one year may have been a bit of a fluke, it looks like the Reds are selling sky high on this deal.

I love it.
Reply/Quote
Works for me. Also, allows the rebuild to progress and opens a rotation spot for Garrett, Reed and/or Stephenson.
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping Castillo pans out. Throwing over 100 sounds sweet as long as he can throw for strikes. A starter that throws over 100 mph though can be risky business. That's a lot of torque on the shoulder. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What? Nobody is stoked for the upcoming Reds season already? We might even beat out Milwaukee and end the season in next to last place!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
His probably wasn't getting any better, so this was the time to sell. Good to see them selling when a player's value is at it's highest rather than after it decreased as they did with Frazier and Chapman.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:29 AM)samhain Wrote: His probably wasn't getting any better, so this was the time to sell.  Good to see them selling when a player's value is at it's highest rather than after it decreased as they did with Frazier and Chapman.

Hopefully this is a sign of Dick Williams' new regime. Limited attachment to Cinderella Story players or high value targets with no future with the club.

Jocketty really killed us with a few horrific trades recently.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:07 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hopefully this is a sign of Dick Williams' new regime. Limited attachment to Cinderella Story players or high value targets with no future with the club.

Jocketty really killed us with a few horrific trades recently.

Waiting to trade Aroldis was the most maddening move of the rebuild.  He just signed a megadeal with NY and is arguably one of the best arms in the history of the game.  What did they get for him?  Basically nothing, really.  He should have been gone mid-summer 2015 at the absolute latest.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 11:13 AM)samhain Wrote: Waiting to trade Aroldis was the most maddening move of the rebuild.  He just signed a megadeal with NY and is arguably one of the best arms in the history of the game.  What did they get for him?  Basically nothing, really.  He should have been gone mid-summer 2015 at the absolute latest.

What's even more infuriating is what the Yankees got for Aroldis mere months later. They got the #17 prospect in the country in Gleyber Torres. A Shortstop with plus hitting, average power, plus running, plus arm and plus fielding...

Man, that would be a nice little prospect to have in our system.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What's even more infuriating is what the Yankees got for Aroldis mere months later. They got the #17 prospect in the country in Gleyber Torres. A Shortstop with plus hitting, average power, plus running, plus arm and plus fielding...

Man, that would be a nice little prospect to have in our system.

Yep.  I actually saw someone somewhere, might have been Redszone or Hardballtalk, comment that the return the got for Dan Straily was actually better than the one they got for Chapman.  Absolutely hilarious.
Reply/Quote