Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds after Trevor Bauer?
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/trevor-bauer-trade-rumors-reds-indians.html

Seems the Reds are interested in Bauer. Reds and Indians have been in discussions and Taylor Trammell's name has come up in said discussions.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
That seems like a stretch. I seem to remember during the off season there being some sort of report that he has no interest in ever signing a long term contract.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6110454-trevor-bauer-says-he-won-t-sign-long-term-deal-because-of-absurd-paintball-bet-with-friend

And it turns out it isn't even for a good reason...He just doesn't want to get shot in the nuts with a paintball gun.

There's immature and then there's Temper Tantrum Trevor.

I hope we don't do this. Especially not for anything of value, like Taylor Trammell.
Reply/Quote
Jim Day just said that the Reds are in talks with the Indians on a three team deal with Bauer coming to Cincinnati
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Jim Day just said that the Reds are in talks with the Indians on a three team deal with Bauer coming to Cincinnati

Yep Puig is part of deal and Taylor Trammell to Padres.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/reds-to-acquire-trevor-bauer-in-3-team-deal.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
WTF!?!? Puig and Trammell for BAUER? If this is the move Williams think is getting the team to the playoffs, he’s worse than I thought.
Reply/Quote
Oh good, another pitcher that will never re-sign here.

People give the Bengals crap for sitting on their heals when it comes to bringing players from outside here, but it seems to me like the Reds just make moves to make moves. "Hey look guys, we're really trying! Honest!"
Reply/Quote
Dumb idea. This team is not getting to the playoffs and it's not because they aren't capable of winning. When they're at their best, they're pretty damn good. Their problem is being at their best night after night. They can be downright awful. Their deficiency is mental. A pitcher on a rental is not gonna fix that. And giving up their top prospect and Puig is way too much to pay.

Just stand pat, find another starter and a bullpen arm or two in the off season and most of all, figure out how to bring it every night.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Trammel wasn't going to play here for years, if at all. He was only batting .236 in AA, you can get Schebler to do that. With Senzel, Winker, VanMeter and Ervin in the outfield, they are set for years before contracts come up.

They just added Wood and Bauer to Castillo and Gray. They are making a run for the Wild Card or the division, it seems. 6.5 from the WC and 7.5 from the division. Standing pat got them to 49-56. Basically, they've been a .500 ball club after falling to 1-8 to start the season. I'd say that they increased their chances of making the playoffs. It's possible but not likely that they'll pull it off.

One thing that Bauer will do is go long in games and give rest to the overworked bullpen.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
So they are shooting the bull on MLB network and Girardi really likes Bauer. He thinks Bauer could be flipped again. Reds are holding the most prized trade prospect for the next 24 hours.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that Bauer is controlled next year too!
Reply/Quote
The deal is done. I thought Puig was on the trading block. He whooped some Pirates on his way out. Bauer is a nice addition, but the Reds will still not make the playoffs.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
This move is more about getting a jump on the offseason. Bauer is signed through next year and will slot in with Castillo and Gray. That’s a solid top 3. If they can sign Wood, they should have one of the top rotations in baseball. The offense and bullpen will obviously need an upgrade in the offseason. There are some young guys that need playing time in the outfield to get a better evaluation before the offseason.
Reply/Quote
Way too much of an over pay to get a 1 year player. Bauer isn't going to be here after 2020 and you just gave up your best prospect and a nice left handed pitcher who was coming on strong in AA to do it. Puig and Moss for Bauer I can see, but Puig, Moss and Trammel....why...just why....

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I really hate this trade. Bauer is good, but he's not elite. I don't understand how you can justify trading a top 30 prospect (was higher before having a down year in AA), a solid LHP prospect and Puig for 1 and a half years (half a year being one where we're unlikely to compete for the playoffs) of a temper tantrum throwing above average pitcher?

I guess now we jump on the "Hope Taylor Trammell doesn't become a super star" train...
If his all star game appearances are any indicator, I wouldn't count on Trammell not being an impact player in the majors a few years from now.
Reply/Quote
We just made a move for an All-Star pitcher who is currently leading the league in innings pitched and has a 2.95 ERA over the last two years, and most of you are upset?

Plus Bauer is signed through next year and Puig was not.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 12:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Trammel wasn't going to play here for years, if at all. He was only batting .236 in AA, you can get Schebler to do that. With Senzel, Winker, VanMeter and Ervin in the outfield, they are set for years before contracts come up.

They just added Wood and Bauer to Castillo and Gray. They are making a run for the Wild Card or the division, it seems. 6.5 from the WC and 7.5 from the division. Standing pat got them to 49-56. Basically, they've been a .500 ball club after falling to 1-8 to start the season. I'd say that they increased their chances of making the playoffs. It's possible but not likely that they'll pull it off.

One thing that Bauer will do is go long in games and give rest to the overworked bullpen.

What you say here makes a lot of sense.  But it still doesn't solve their biggest problem, which is the one between their collective ears.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The great Indians staff is over. Kubler injured. Carrasco in life and death situation. Bauer to Reds

The Reds however now have one of the great staffs in baseball. All-Stars Castillo, Gray, Bauer with Disco, Roark and Wood who has been an All-Star. The day isn't over. They may trade Roark or Wood. Either way, Reds have a great pitching staff to make a run at this thing in last 2 months. The Reds are still in striking distance with an All-Star Staff like Indians had.

This is the most healthy good pitcher Reds have traded for since Tom Seaver. The Reds young outfielders made Puig a trade option. Senzel, Winker, Van Meter, Ervin and add in Dietrich and add in Lorenzen who can spot play in OF. Again, the trade day isn't over yet.

That the Reds got Bauer tells me at end of trade day the Reds will have a team to go after play-offs THIS YEAR, the last 2 months. They are in striking distance with a team like this. Especially if Castillo wins today and Reds win Pirates series making Brewers, Rockies, Pirates 3 in a row.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 10:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We just made a move for an All-Star pitcher who is currently leading the league in innings pitched and has a 2.95 ERA over the last two years, and most of you are upset?

I'm not upset, they most likely weren't going to resign Puig anyways. And maybe, just maybe with Bauer we can still be playing meaningful baseball a month from now ?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 10:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We just made a move for an All-Star pitcher who is currently leading the league in innings pitched and has a 2.95 ERA over the last two years, and most of you are upset?

People aren't upset about Puig. They're upset about Trammell.
Reply/Quote
The move reeks to me of treading water and trying to keep everybody happy. They can look at the people who said they need to be sellers at the deadline and say "we flipped Puig!", while they can look at the people who wanted them to buy and say "we brought in Bauer!". They are trying without really trying IMO.

All these people bragging about how good the rotation is going to be next year, but how much has that helped them this year? Their pitching was a strength for the first half of the year and they've been floating about 7 games under .500 for pretty much all of it. It takes more than just a good-to-great staff to win, and while everyone wants to make every excuse in the world for the Reds ("look at their run differential!") they're not there yet. They've been mediocre *at best* all year long, and they're only propped up by the fact that they get a ton of leeway that the Bengals wouldn't (ie, "they're only 7 games under .500, they're right there!") while they've got Lance McCalister serving as the biggest homer this side of Geoff Hobson constantly selling them on the radio.

So now the Reds are going to ask everyone to buy into this great 2020 starting rotation before they trade them all away next July, probably for a few more short term rentals. Then we're right back to square one in 2021.
Reply/Quote