Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds close to signing Castellanos
Could be the final piece for a potent offense. Granted his defesne is pretty suspect, but he's not a natural outfielder, started his career at 3B. 

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-nicholas-castellanos-progress
Reply/Quote
It sounds like they got him, 4 years at 64 million. That sounds like a bargain. He hit .289 and had 27 fingers last year.
Reply/Quote
this is fantastic
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
looks like they will try to move Senzel for Catcher or SS.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 03:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: looks like they will try to move Senzel for Catcher or SS.

Or bullpen, but I highly doubt they do that given what they'd ask for in return. Same for options at C to. Not to many high level catchers out there that they would make sense with Senzel. We tried with J.T. and it didn't work out. SS is probably best case IMO, and there's really only a few options available. It'll take some very creative doing to make a deal line up for Senzel and one of C or SS.

But concern with this move is our OF defense look not very good. Senzel was shake, Castellanos isn't very good, who knows how Shogo will play. I hope the offense outweighs the D.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 03:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: looks like they will try to move Senzel for Catcher or SS.

Is that being reported? I haven’t seen that. I could see an outfield with Shogo in left, Senzel in center and Castellanos in right. With some combo of Winker, Ervin and Aquino as the bench and swing OF’s. Unless Senzel is going to the Indians for Lindor, I’d look at a Winker trade for a bullpen arm.
Reply/Quote
I actually think this contract is great.

It has an opt out for Nick after 2020 and after 2021. That means that if he just rakes, he can become a free agent again.

That is a little concerning, as it kind of makes this 4 year deal more tenuous, but I do like that it allows us to naturally progress Aquino and Winker. If Nick is amazing, it gives those two time to develop and can replace him if he leaves.

If he does well but not incredible (he'd need a career year to get more money in free agency, I imagine), then we get him for the full 4 years.

Obviously, there is a risk that he is just terrible and we're stuck with him for 4 years, but with his 27 through 31 age seasons under contract, I see this as a relatively low risk.

Overall, fantastic addition. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the logjam at OF this year and potentially next year.

I'd like to see them try Senzel at SS. He tried it a few years ago and they didn't stick him there, so that may be a bad sign, but that was before David Bell was manager. If Moose is good enough for 2B, I have a hard time believing Senzel isn't cut out for SS.

I've seen the rumors of trading Senzel for a Seager or Lindor type SS, but I don't really see something that big happening. I suspect this offense is relatively close to what it will be on opening day (I think we're still looking for relief pitchers, however.)

This team has the ability and talent to win the division easily.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 09:58 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I actually think this contract is great.

It has an opt out for Nick after 2020 and after 2021. That means that if he just rakes, he can become a free agent again.

That is a little concerning, as it kind of makes this 4 year deal more tenuous, but I do like that it allows us to naturally progress Aquino and Winker. If Nick is amazing, it gives those two time to develop and can replace him if he leaves.

If he does well but not incredible (he'd need a career year to get more money in free agency, I imagine), then we get him for the full 4 years.

Obviously, there is a risk that he is just terrible and we're stuck with him for 4 years, but with his 27 through 31 age seasons under contract, I see this as a relatively low risk.

Overall, fantastic addition. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the logjam at OF this year and potentially next year.

I'd like to see them try Senzel at SS. He tried it a few years ago and they didn't stick him there, so that may be a bad sign, but that was before David Bell was manager. If Moose is good enough for 2B, I have a hard time believing Senzel isn't cut out for SS.

I've seen the rumors of trading Senzel for a Seager or Lindor type SS, but I don't really see something that big happening. I suspect this offense is relatively close to what it will be on opening day (I think we're still looking for relief pitchers, however.)

This team has the ability and talent to win the division easily.
Very well put. This may very well only be a 1 or 2 year deal. If it is, it means that he had a great year. If he has a year similar to last year, I think he will just play a second year here to see if he can top the year for a new contract. Either way, it seems like a good deal for both sides. I would rather have seen a straight 4 year deal but at least he’s here for this year and a run at the playoffs. I would be absolutely shocked if they trade for a SS. They may trade one of the extra OFers for relief help.
Reply/Quote

I think the kid down in AAA, Stephenson is going to be pretty darn good if he stays healthy so I'm not nearly as concerned about a catcher as I am a SS and we still have two young guns in the minors, both from Cuban, Alfredo Rodriguez and Jose Garcia who, if they can put things together may just turn out to be big stars. I'm leaning more toward Garcia since Rodriquez isn't much of a hitter. Neither are ML ready at this point, but one or the other may improve by leaps and bounds. Defensively Alf-Rod is said to be better than ML ready with his glove, but hits like a little girl.. Go figure, huh?
I'm not at all sold on Galvis nearly as much as I was with Iglesias, but I've been wrong about these things before.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 03:00 AM)grampahol Wrote: I think the kid down in AAA, Stephenson is going to be pretty darn good if he stays healthy so I'm not nearly as concerned about a catcher as I am a SS and we still have two young guns in the minors, both from Cuban, Alfredo Rodriguez and Jose Garcia who, if they can put things together may just turn out to be big stars. I'm leaning more toward Garcia since Rodriquez isn't much of a hitter. Neither are ML ready at this point, but one or the other may improve by leaps and bounds. Defensively Alf-Rod is said to be better than ML ready with his glove, but hits like a little girl.. Go figure, huh?
I'm not at all sold on Galvis nearly as much as I was with Iglesias, but I've been wrong about these things before.

i like Tyler but Reds need to replenish that position for sure
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
With the OF loaded up now, it is certainly time to consider making a move to shore up C, SS or the Bullpen.

Plus, you have a few good prospects waiting in the wings to come up in the OF, not too mention you have to find a place for India soon.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote